Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

[quote=saganista;5653247]Pardon my asking, but if one were so concerned about the child's education, why was he or she in this school to start out with? [quote]

One reason might be that in a State like Arizona, with a high degree of population migration, one might have just moved to the area and was / is unfamiliar with the schools.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
School vouchers. I agree with the idea to an extent, but I do not like the idea of funding religious schools with tax payer dollars. We are currently in a situation where my child's school is not meeting AYP standards. There is talk that in the next 2 years, if the school does not pull itself together, that the school will be closed down, students will get to pick another public school of their liking in the county and our school will reopen a year or so later as a charter school. Due to this particular situation, I like the idea of a voucher because currently, we are not getting the education that we fund with our tax payer dollars. That said, it's hard to find a private school that is not religiously affiliated and that is where my concern comes in. The US has such a fine line as to what religiously is acceptable, and not to get this started as a religious debate, but there are religions out there that I would not want to support-for my own personal reasons. I'm sure others feel the same way and the government could not create a system that supports some religious private schools and not others so therefore, I have to stand against the idea.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One reason might be that in a State like Arizona, with a high degree of population migration, one might have just moved to the area and was / is unfamiliar with the schools.
Where's did all the hue and cry over Personal Responsibility® suddenly go??? Here's a clear case of Poor Decisionmaking® -- moving into an area without first checking into the local schools -- and now you want me to REWARD that sort of lazy, can't-be-bothered behavior by handing out checks for $5K or so worth of my hard-earned tax dollars!!!

Kind of makes some of your other pro-Accountability® posts look like a sham, doesn't it...

Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Where's did all the hue and cry over Personal Responsibility® suddenly go??? Here's a clear case of Poor Decisionmaking® -- moving into an area without first checking into the local schools -- and now you want me to REWARD that sort of lazy, can't-be-bothered behavior by handing out checks for $5K or so worth of my hard-earned tax dollars!!!

Kind of makes some of your other pro-Accountability® posts look like a sham, doesn't it...
You act as though you are the only one paying taxes when that is not the case. The poster you are responding to pays taxes as well and should have the option of using HIS tax dollars to send HIS kid to a school where HIS kid can get a quality education just as YOU should have the same option to send YOUR kid to a quality school. It's called freedom of choice.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I may be the most unpopular poster in a sec, but here I go.

My kids are in private school, always have been but I have no problem paying my taxes so other children have the benefits of a good education. Sure, it would be nice to have some extra money in my pocket , but I made the choice to send them to another school.

To me it goes beyond political views, it is my ethical view. I feel it is my obligation to help others out and if that means paying more so we have better educated citizens that will hopefully be productive citizens one day, it is my pleasure.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I may be the most unpopular poster in a sec, but here I go.

My kids are in private school, always have been but I have no problem paying my taxes so other children have the benefits of a good education. Sure, it would be nice to have some extra money in my pocket , but I made the choice to send them to another school.

To me it goes beyond political views, it is my ethical view. I feel it is my obligation to help others out and if that means paying more so we have better educated citizens that will hopefully be productive citizens one day, it is my pleasure.
I have no problem paying taxes either to make sure kids have the education they need when private schooling isn't an option. My reason for supporting the voucher system is to give parents who otherwise could not afford private education the option of sending their kids to private schools instead of having them waste away in a failing public school. It's about opening up choices for those parents who could not afford a quality education for their child otherwise.

Although I do not have kids, I was educated in the public school system and lost one precious year of education due to teacher strikes. I also endured many teachers that were burnt out and clearly demonstrated that they had no desire to teach. I would have had more options opened up for me had my mother received a voucher to send me to a private school. Parents who can afford a private education for their children aren't the ones that need the vouchers, it's the children of low income parents that need it the most.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:31 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I have no problem paying taxes either to make sure kids have the education they need when private schooling isn't an option. My reason for supporting the voucher system is to give parents who otherwise could not afford private education the option of sending their kids to private schools instead of having them waste away in a failing public school. It's about opening up choices for those parents who could not afford a quality education for their child otherwise.

Although I do not have kids, I was educated in the public school system and lost one precious year of education due to teacher strikes. I also endured many teachers that were burnt out and clearly demonstrated that they had no desire to teach. I would have had more options opened up for me had my mother received a voucher to send me to a private school. Parents who can afford a private education for their children aren't the ones that need the vouchers, it's the children of low income parents that need it the most.
I guess I feel if I take my tax dollars away from the city they will have no way to build up their school system for kids who are not able to go to private school.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:36 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
I don't want MY tax dollars to support failing public schools. Why should parents have to be forced to pay taxes on failing school AND foot the bill for a quality private education? It's about choice!
I didn't say you shouldn't have the choice to choose a private school, I just don't want my tax dollars to support parochial schools. I would be willing to compromise if they were secular private schools.
Why should I, a child free person, be asked to subsidize a private school education for someone else's child?
It's your child so you should bear the full cost of educating it.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
You act as though you are the only one paying taxes when that is not the case. The poster you are responding to pays taxes as well and should have the option of using HIS tax dollars to send HIS kid to a school where HIS kid can get a quality education just as YOU should have the same option to send YOUR kid to a quality school. It's called freedom of choice.
Too bad we can't pick and choose where our tax dollars go.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
For the dozenth time, your local school taxes have absolutely nothing to do with your kid or kids. Your tax bill would be the same if you had no kids or ten. There's simply no connection. These taxes are what you pay to support public education in general. Public education in general will still be ongoing even if you pull your kids out, so you still have to pay, and you can't have any of it back, and neither can the poster I was responding to, nor his lazy new neighbor. You all are simply seeking to play the freeloader. You may as well send in a list of all the national parks you've never been to and demand a tax refund to help you pay to take your kids to Disney World instead of Yellowstone. Want to guess what they will tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies