Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM

225 posts, read 341,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Pardon me, but, doesn't the fact that you seem to think that poor, rural people can't think intelligently for themselves actually prove this point?

I'm saying that poor, rural people are the victims of good consistent advertising that strokes their egos through negative stereotyping getting them to vote for something that does not benefit them collectively or as individuals. Aren't we all victims of advertising? I am sometimes. I'm sure that one more blade and a pivoting head on my disposable razor will get me the girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 PM

290 posts, read 523,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
I'm saying that poor, rural people are the victims of good consistent advertising that strokes their egos through negative stereotyping getting them to vote for something that does not benefit them collectively or as individuals. Aren't we all victims of advertising? I am sometimes. I'm sure that one more blade and a pivoting head on my disposable razor will get me the girl.
If it is advertising that wins over reason, I would argue that the hard working rural people are less exposed to it. They are too busy producing goods and services. On the other hand the dems are getting some pretty good exposure. Look at the amount Obama has raised compared to McCain.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
So you think that the fact that black illigitimacy has risen from 35% in the 60's to over 70% now shows the success of social programs?
So you think without the social programs, the black illegitimacy would not have risen? They would somehow have miraculously discovered how to avoid having children?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
If it is advertising that wins over reason, I would argue that the hard working rural people are less exposed to it. They are too busy producing goods and services. On the other hand the dems are getting some pretty good exposure. Look at the amount Obama has raised compared to McCain.
So...rural Republicans are so busy producing 'goods and services' that they haven't seen any presidential advertising and on the other hand Democrats are running ads too. Got it.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Quote:
All of us who have endured the Bush presidency know painfully well what Republicans are in America. It really isn't political but rather pathological. People like Republicans are found all over the world but most conspicuously in less educated & often authoritarian countries [Middle East].
...and people like democrats are found all over the world but most conspicuously in countries like Cuba, Venezuela, and the former Soviet Union

Quote:
The concept of the "common good" makes no sense to a Republican because that means sharing with others.
Your right! We don't believe in communism. And I think that the collapse of the Soviet Union proves us right.

Quote:
These are the good citizens who go to church every Sunday and revival times handing over their money to hacks & then complain that they have to drive by homeless people\ the riff raff.
Poor conservative evangelicals give far more to charity than the rich elitist liberals. Look it up!

Quote:
Republicans don't like school bonds\ taxes even if there kids attend public school [its the teacher's fault that their kids are dumb].
Republicans have a problem with teacher's unions where all teachers, good or bad, get the same raises. It is a system where merit counts for nil and it is impossible to get rid of bad teachers.
Whose interests are being served by that? Not the kid's!

Quote:
They are more interested in what's being taught then a real education\ inserting "creationism" myths & not trusting science & demanding
classroom prayer.
So a parent has no say in what is being taught in school?
I can't wait for you to have children only to have them come home from school asking you to read to them about the two princes who love each other or scared to death because their kindergarten teacher is trying to educate them about AIDS.
These are true stories!

Taxes for public services are also on the hate list for Republicans who are more interested in removing books than building libraries. But when it comes to a personal lose due to fire\ tornado\ hurricane\ earthquake Republicans are the first to demand their rights to services & complain that the fire department was too late & sue the city [even though they voted down every attempt to properly fund vital public services.

Can you give me examples?
I didn't think so. You are a freakin' liar!!!!

Quote:
Republicans are weirdly intrigued by other people's sexual lives & spend hours & money promoting repressive laws against gays yet have some of the most lude people involved in prostitution\ drugs [politicians\ preachers]. Republicans are hypocrites of the worst kind who hold their Bibles in one hand & a flag in the other while sending off our soldiers to fight a foolish war & then turn their backs on the wounded by denying them proper medical care.

These are not Americans who wine\dine Saudi princes & hold their hands like Bush or Cheney providing consultation with Arab oil families. They are selfish corporate thieves to eagerly take from America & avoid taxes at all costs.

Republicans are sub-Americans who represent the worst of our nation & thankfully are exposed to the world and leave our White House like weasels scurrying away to their holes.
I am dissappointed in myself that I read your post and answered your charges as I read.
If I had known that you were a lying lunatic evidenced by these last lines I would not have wasted my time.
Have a nice day!

Last edited by TomDot; 10-20-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 12:38 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Here'a a GOP voter caught on tape regarding why she doesn't vote in her husband's career interests..

You'll love the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wQf...sandliars.com/

Oh my! If couldn't stand to be known as a Republican. I'd be too ashamed.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Here'a a GOP voter caught on tape regarding why she doesn't vote in her husband's career interests..

You'll love the answer.

YouTube - This is Why America is Broken - From "Now on PBS"

Oh my! If couldn't stand to be known as a Republican. I'd be too ashamed.
Oh, the pain! Make it stop. I hate to think of how many crackpots like her are out there living in their little private dark ages. But seriously, she is a good example of someone who votes absolutely one dimensionally - that's too kind, she votes half-dimensionally. Just vote for the praying-ist, whitest candidate and "put yer faith in the Low-erd!"

Old 10-20-2008, 12:51 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
I am disappointed in myself that I read your post and answered your charges as I read.
If I had known that you were a lying lunatic evidenced by these last lines I would not have wasted my time.
Have a nice day!
I am disappointed in you also but you prove my point over & over again. So do you tell your doctor how to operate on your head next time they need to infuse smart medicine? Dumb Republicans trying to tell educated teachers what to teach? Priceless

Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
[quote=jtur88;5772373]
Quote:
So you think without the social programs, the black illegitimacy would not have risen?
How do you explain the skyrocketing illegitimacy and plummeting marriage rates among the poor, especially blacks, subsequent to Lyndon Johnson's war on poverty in the mid-sixties?
Welfare eligibilty requirements were lowered to allow millions to immediately enter the rolls.
Directly following the Welfare Reform Act those two indicators dropped

Percentage of All Births to Unmarried Teens
Ages 15 to 19, by Race and Ethnicity 1940-2002
Chart 15 (26): Chart 3 (231), (232):

Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Why are so many people willing to vote against their best interest?
You may see it that way, but I bet they don't see it that way. I bet they would get more angry and red faced from seeing efforts in their state to legalize gay marriage than hearing of getting laid off or getting their health insurance canceled. They see the Republicans protecting them from gay marriage more important to their values them any Democrat interest in improving their health care or helping them get a better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies