Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 02:52 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
This is pretty cute. I do have one question. What have "conservatives" done for America?

"liberal"s gave us harbors, navigation systems, Coast Guard, transcontinental railroads, freeways, Forest Service, National Parks, Clean water, clean air, and end to clear cutting, wildlife refuges, must be something I missed, Oh yes,, Victory in WWII
They gave us our very country. It sure wasn't the conservative spirit that sparked the Revolution.

But to be fair, conservatives have given us constant wars to help the military-industrial complex, divided its own people bitterly against one another, made bigotry, racism, and homophobia cool again, launched and maintained a completely ineffective and costly "war" on drugs, given themselves tremendous tax breaks, made lying to the American public not only acceptable but SOP, blessed us with increasingly massive deficits, and have even convinced the most gullible of non-elite American citizens that they actually give a hoot about them! And that's only in the past 25 years!

This country (and world) will be better off when it realizes that when it comes to matters that us common folk care about, conservatives can't and won't do anything right.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
And don't forget, Conservatives have made it possible to complain about too much welfare and not getting enough farm aid/FEMA relief (i.e. government aid) all in one sentence.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
This is pretty cute. I do have one question. What have "conservatives" done for America?

"liberal"s gave us harbors, navigation systems, Coast Guard, transcontinental railroads, freeways, Forest Service, National Parks, Clean water, clean air, and end to clear cutting, wildlife refuges, must be something I missed, Oh yes,, Victory in WWII

If you look at the etymology of liberal you will find that it can be used to describe people who today are viewed as liberal or conservative depending on the context of the political climate of the times.

Teddy Roosevelt was the father of the National Parks and he was far from what would be viewed as liberal today.

The same holds true for the history of the Democrats and Republicans. The Democrats were much more "conservative" in the early 1800s and the newly founded Republican party of Abraham Lincoln were much more "liberal."

Liberal is dervived from liberty and as such would support small government and personal liberties.

A modern day liberal concept of creating more social programs to usurp the rights of certain people and their property for the benefit of others is not supportive of liberty.

There are many great ideas for creating large impersonal social programs designed to mimic responsible behavior of responsible people. I say that the liberals should create as many programs as they are willing to support with a voluntary supplemental federal income tax.

I'll stick to being responsible for my family and donating time and money to worthwhile charities to help those in need.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:37 PM

753 posts, read 759,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There are many great ideas for creating large impersonal social programs designed to mimic responsible behavior of responsible people. I say that the liberals should create as many programs as they are willing to support with a voluntary supplemental federal income tax.
I think this is a powerful idea. We should be able to pick & choose which government-sponsored charities we wish to fund with our tax dollars.

In addition to contributions to Welfare, I'd love to see wars, corporate bailouts like the S&Ls/hedge funds, farm subsidies, make-work pork projects and foreign aid to dictators all funded on a voluntary basis.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:09 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,442,668 times
Quote:
A modern day liberal concept of creating more social programs to usurp the rights of certain people and their property for the benefit of others is not supportive of liberty.
Not sure who thinks about doing this.. enlighten me.

Teddy Roosevelt? Teddy was a serious liberal, time ya'll read up on him. Ever read about his fights with the Conservatives in New York and in Congress?

Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 PM

40 posts, read 147,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think Liberal migration is a good thing. It's the best way to turn some red states into blue states.
The libs are not the one's leaving. Becareful of what you wish for, your surroundings over the next 5 -10 years will change drastically. All of you will be dreaming of the good life before the dramatic makeover.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Except by 2010 your beloved Republican party will have made itself a permanent minority party because of the rampant arrogance, waste, tin ears, meanness, and a general inability to govern. So I don't feel so bad about this at all. Peace out

PS- States can't lose Senate seats no matter how much population they lose. That's the point of the Senate- every state gets equal representation. So next time you feel like gloating, take some time to educate yourself first.

When I mention senate seats, the few left in democratic hands will eventually fall due to the heavy migration. The southeast in 5 to 10 years will by far be the most powerful area in the U.S.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoint View Post
When I mention senate seats, the few left in democratic hands will eventually fall due to the heavy migration. The southeast in 5 to 10 years will by far be the most powerful area in the U.S.
If telling yourself this helps you sleep at night, then have at it. Today's Republicans are obstinate, and willfully ignorant and insulated from the will of the people. Lots more people are getting sick of it than not, no matter where they live. The GOP didn't get its head handed to it last November because people are falling in love with them...

Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
If telling yourself this helps you sleep at night, then have at it. Today's Republicans are obstinate, and willfully ignorant and insulated from the will of the people. Lots more people are getting sick of it than not, no matter where they live. The GOP didn't get its head handed to it last November because people are falling in love with them...
The GOP did not get its head handed to it, the DEMS won by very small margins, If you look at hx midterm/second term Mr Bush actually did better then the majority of past presidents. You appear to me ,to be reading to many far left blogs and their ********** talking points where you all agree with each other, try to be a little more progressive in your approach to politics.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
Not sure who thinks about doing this.. enlighten me.

Teddy Roosevelt? Teddy was a serious liberal, time ya'll read up on him. Ever read about his fights with the Conservatives in New York and in Congress?
The point is context of the times. Liberal then and liberal now do not have the same connotation. Roosevelt was a rugged individualist who truely believed in hard work and conservation of resources. Lincoln and TR are truly two great American heroes.

One of my favorite Teddy Roosevelt quotes:

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."
Theodore Roosevelt

Being an American is not a free ride! Opportunities are there for those willing to pursue them.

Are there any Abraham Lincolns or Teddy Roosevelts willing to step up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies