Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's totally irrelevent and you know it. We have no assurance that this couldnt happen here.

The bottom line there is evidence of clergy being harrassed over their doctrine. Either a person thinks that's okay or a person thinks its wrong. Im sensing that you have no problem with it.

Oh, but here's another case of a Priest being investigated for preaching what the bible says.

Priest investigated for quoting Bible
Irrelevant that you are using an example from a TOTALLY different country with different laws than the US? Give me a break.

First off, that story is about something that happened in Canada. Second - the Canadian Government received a complaint, reviewed it, and took no action on it. Third - worldnetdaily??? C'mon, give me a real source.

When was someone arrested, prosecuted, or investigated in the UNITED STATES as you claimed?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
My friend was beaten SPECIFICALLY because he was gay.

They followed him down the street yelling "HEY F*****!" "CMERE F*****".
I recall being called names because of my faith. Its not fun. Im not saying that Gays arent victimized, but Im both Gay and Mormon and can say from my own experience, that Ive been picked on more because of my faith. Sorry if that offends you but its true.

I wonder why we are suddenly engaged in this 'whose worse off' tangent. Funny.

Quote:
There is a big difference. No one is picking on them because they are LDS.
Actually there is quite a bit.

Quote:
Unfortunately, by targeting a large group of people - your church asked for it. What did they expect, that gay people would roll over and bow to their will?
I dont think this large group you speak of really knows what theyre doing. They certainly arent convincing anyone to support their cause-on the contrary, Its probably backfired.

Quote:
Don't dish it out if you can't take the heat, sorry.
Actually we dished it and California voters ate it all up. Thank You California.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant that you are using an example from a TOTALLY different country with different laws than the US? Give me a break.

First off, that story is about something that happened in Canada. Second - the Canadian Government received a complaint, reviewed it, and took no action on it. Third - worldnetdaily??? C'mon, give me a real source.

When was someone arrested, prosecuted, or investigated in the UNITED STATES as you claimed?
Changing the subject is something the No-on-8 side does very well. It failed them on Nov. 4th and its failing you now.

The fact remains, there is evidence that clergy has been unjustly harrassed by the government for preaching religious doctrine.

We have absolutely no reason to ever think it wouldnt happen here in the US.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:18 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Changing the subject is something the No-on-8 side does very well. It failed them on Nov. 4th and its failing you now.

The fact remains, there is evidence that clergy has been unjustly harrassed by the government for preaching religious doctrine.

We have absolutely no reason to ever think it wouldnt happen here in the US.
I'm not changing the subject, I'm asking you to back up the claim you made that it had happened in the US. You obviously can't, so that's that.

Gays are stoned to death in other countries, we have absolutely no reason to ever think it wouldn't happen here in the US.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:23 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I just wanted to tell all of the anti-prop-8 crowds to stop attacking the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a member of the chuch, it is incredibly offensive to see the things that are being done and being said about the church. It is absurd to single out the LDS church when the Catholic chuch and other African-American churches campaigned and donated money to Yes on Prop 8.
Mormons For Proposition 8 Donors — Mormons for Proposition 8

Gays just want to be left alone. When you provoke a bee hive, don't you expect to get stung? The bees just want to live their lives in peace.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not changing the subject, I'm asking you to back up the claim you made that it had happened in the US. You obviously can't, so that's that.
I never said its happening in the US. Only that it could. And there is no guarantee otherwise, only false assurances.

Quote:
Gays are stoned to death in other countries, we have absolutely no reason to ever think it wouldn't happen here in the US.
Actually I fully support prosecution of any person who stones gays. Why? Because that is breaking the law.

Preaching from the bible is NOT a crime.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:29 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
I just wanted to tell all of the anti-prop-8 crowds to stop attacking the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a member of the chuch, it is incredibly offensive to see the things that are being done and being said about the church. It is absurd to single out the LDS church when the Catholic chuch and other African-American churches campaigned and donated money to Yes on Prop 8.
I just wanted to tell all of the anti-gay Christian crowd to stop attacking Gay People. As a gay person, it is incredibly offensive to see the things that are being done and being said about gay people. It is absurd to single out gay people when heterosexuals have such a high divorce and child abuse rate.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:46 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
And they are guilty of commiting murder as well.

Mountain Meadows massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any cases of gay people killing because someone is straight?

Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Stop The Attacks on the LDS Church!

Quote:

To paraphrase from Edward G Robinson, "You can sure dish it out, but you can't take it."

Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Synopsis of LDS representing in this thread...

-Religious folks aren't willing to be accountable for themselves or hold themselves to the standards they volunteered to believe using their own dime directly in their lives. They'd rather spend it on mass marketing campaigns.

-They see no point in defending the constitution because they feel their interpretation of the bible should override the constitution. The constitution is only a convenience to protect their own rights in a secular landscape but ought not be applied to anyone else in our america.

-Any attempt at pointing out a boundary issue they've overstepped will be denied and turned around in their minds, completely justified because god said they ought to take over the function of government.

-White powder isn't important until it happens to them. They're unwilling to come to the aid and defense of anyone they don't consider gods children or renounce behavior when it happens to another they disagree with religiously or politically.

-Murder and rape are acceptable if it happens to someone they dislike, representing humans taking on the work of gods wrath, unless of course it's happening to them.

-Persecution is acceptable, so long as it isn't them.

-They're victims of everyone who failed to agree with them, further evidence of how put upon and persecuted they are by a tyrannical majority they'll chum up to if only you agree with persecuting.

-Use the law to abuse people, then cry foul when a lawsuit against their bible is filed.

-Pick a fight then claim victim.

What else did I miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies