Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
It is news because whatever state this person lived in, Oregon, I think, allowed him to be *legally* considered a man while still able to reproduce.

That is why it is news.
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
lol! that is playing the philosophical angle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Is that necessary?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
lol! that is playing the philosophical angle!
You can call it whatever you like. Seems like calling it that enables one to keep his mind closed.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:11 AM

why do you have to a member of a community? I am a human. that is my community. I am not into cliques. by the way, what does the "Q" stand for in GLBTQ? I have no interest in that movie. I also had no interest in seeing brokeback mountain. I wouldn't watch a movie about cowboy love if it was heterosexual. it's just a dumb plot. if a movie has a cowboy, I need at least 20 showdowns, and 15 hangings. what exactly is a sissy? I technically do "sissy" stuff, but no one would mistake me for being a sissy.

Quote:
I prefer not to be thought of as gay or lesbian or bisexual or any of those confining terms. I am a member of the GLBTQ community, though. I understand it when people reject those labels, as they don't fit everyone, and I don't think it's smart to categorize people in that way, either.

Maybe so, I don't know. Many disagree.

Transamerica (2005)

Depends on the group of guys, and whether or not they perceive him to be some kind of sissy, I guess.

Well, I guess you personally don't need to be able to accept him as "one of the guys," since y'all don't know each other (I'm assuming).

Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,368 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
That's what I am saying.

But I know how I feel about it.

If you can still have babies, you should still be considered a woman, you are not a man yet. That is why I said that, during the sex change process, maybe women should be required to have their tubes tied before they can legally be declared a "man" if they are not finished with all their operations but want to be a "man" already.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Quote:
Is that necessary?

Ok, we're obviously not on the same page here. I'm speaking strictly from a biological perspective. Sure there are some people out there that I would not be able to tell that they are transexuals, but that still will never change the fact that they are biologically the opposite sex. Gender and sex can be mutually exclusive.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
It's pretty disgusting that the otherwise reputable Discovery Channel, and journalists such as Barbara Walters, have decided to sensationalize this non-event, non-story.

Men don't get pregnant - this person is not a man. This person was born a female and is utilizing those female parts while LIVING as a man - that's all. There is no big story here, no big scientific mystery - end of story.

The media should be ashamed of themselves - like that's ever gonna happen

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM

a philosopher sometimes has answers and solutions. someone that just asks questions or answers everything with a question is someone attempting to sound philosophical. you could do it with everything, and it doesn't mean you have an open mind.

example:
"have you seen my cat?"
"have you seen your cat?"
"what do you mean?"
"has your cat seen you, and do you know what a cat is?"
"you are an idiot."
"are you laying your own idiocy on me?"

see, it sounds ridiculous.

Quote:
You can call it whatever you like. Seems like calling it that enables one to keep his mind closed.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
why do you have to a member of a community? I am a human. that is my community. I am not into cliques.
Apparently in some ways, I differ from the majority of humans. That doesn't mean I'm not included in the human race--I never said anything along those lines. Are you not an American also? Then aren't you part of a community?

Quote:
by the way, what does the "Q" stand for in GLBTQ?
You're joking, right? To get someone to post a word that the forum doesn't recognize? *****.

Quote:
I have no interest in that movie.
Okay, fine. No one's making you educate yourself or seek out different perspectives, I guess.

Quote:
I also had no interest in seeing brokeback mountain. I wouldn't watch a movie about cowboy love if it was heterosexual. it's just a dumb plot. if a movie has a cowboy, I need at least 20 showdowns, and 15 hangings.
That is so puerile. The plot was hardly "dumb." I read the short story after seeing the movie and it's very well-written.

Quote:
what exactly is a sissy? I technically do "sissy" stuff, but no one would mistake me for being a sissy.
It's pretty subjective, but I brought it up because it seems like an insult that guys can hurl at each other if one of them isn't masculine enough to fit in with their group.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
i wish people would stop calling her the 'pregnant man'. She is a woman. End of story. If she wanted to be a man, she'd remove her female reproductive organs and take on masculine ones.
precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies