Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
And to disallow gay marriage is deemed unconstitutional.
What was passed in CA was a constitutional amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Tyranny? Good grief we are talking about defining marriage, not lynchings.
Oh good lord, did you fall asleep during civics class?

Tyranny of the majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tocqueville and the Tyranny of the Majority (http://www.revision-notes.co.uk/revision/980.html - broken link)

Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It is misfortunate that unaccountable judges would have the final say in this issue. Goodbye democracy and hello monarchy!
It is misfortunate that so many CA voters seek to reject the civil rights issues involved in this issue!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,779 times
This issue is not about civil rights, it is about a sector of society trying to change the definition of marriage and trying to shove their agenda on us.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
Quote:
This issue is not about civil rights, it is about a sector of society trying to change the definition of marriage and trying to shove their agenda on us.
I could not disagree with you more. It IS about civil rights. My point being, as long a marriage is a "civil" institution, recognized by the state, as it is in all 50 states, and requiring a "state licence" to be "legal", it should not be "influenced" by religious concerns I support the rights of every church and religious group to define marriage as a "sacrement" in their sect, however they wish to, but as a civil institution, marriage should not be denied to committed couples!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
It appears that our votes don't count anymore in California. TWICE the voters rejected Gay marriage in California but the court will decide the issue.

__________________________________________________ _______________

HELP STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.......MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD: | NumbersUSA
And, so it should. How would you like people voting on YOUR rights? No majority should ever vote on the rights of a minority. That's what the courts are for.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Oh my...Are they trying to force everyone to marry the same sex? Is that what you think. Live and let live my friend.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh my...Are they trying to force everyone to marry the same sex? Is that what you think. Live and let live my friend.
As they say, if you don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone gay!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM

488 posts, read 1,176,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
It appears that our votes don't count anymore in California. TWICE the voters rejected Gay marriage in California but the court will decide the issue.

__________________________________________________ _______________

HELP STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.......MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD: | NumbersUSA
Votes in California have not counted for many years. Prop 187 in 1994 is another good example.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 AM

387 posts, read 678,011 times
I'm waiting to see a thoughtful explanation as to California's system of "revisions" verses "amendments". The Federal Constitution, and most state ones, have no such distinction, so it's confusing for a lot of us observers, especially ones from out of state.

I was aghast when I first learned the California Constitution's protections of minorities can be overturned with a mere popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies