Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
....This is not to excuse blacks from said negative behavior, but there are those with financial and political power (mostly white males) who, whether subconsciously or actively, hamper the opportunity for positive achievement.
Sorry, I just don't buy this argument. We hear it over and over again. While you say it is no excuse for negative behavior, you are essentially in a sense using this argument as an excuse. So, because the white man is holding black people down, they are doomed to be stuck in a bad position in society with no room to move forward? That is nonsense. We've spent over 40 years helping prop up the black community in many ways. There are countless opportunities for non-whites to excel in our society, more than any other country in the world. The blame needs to stop being laid on these supposed 'white men' that everyone loves to agree are actively holding people back and it's time to look in the mirror. The ability for improvement has been there for years. The black community must fix itself from the inside out, it cannot work the other way around, no matter how well intentioned it is.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:21 AM

97 posts, read 616,434 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Sorry, I just don't buy this argument. We hear it over and over again. While you say it is no excuse for negative behavior, you are essentially in a sense using this argument as an excuse. So, because the white man is holding black people down, they are doomed to be stuck in a bad position in society with no room to move forward? That is nonsense. We've spent over 40 years helping prop up the black community in many ways. There are countless opportunities for non-whites to excel in our society, more than any other country in the world. The blame needs to stop being laid on these supposed 'white men' that everyone loves to agree are actively holding people back and it's time to look in the mirror. The ability for improvement has been there for years. The black community must fix itself from the inside out, it cannot work the other way around, no matter how well intentioned it is.
Thank you, couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,627 times
Did anyone watch CNN last night? Black students getting good grades in school were taunted by other black students for "acting white". Black kids who look down on education hold themselves back.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:56 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,137 times
Quote:
Actually I've been accused of "acting white" but that's another story ....

There are hardworking people of all colors who endeavor to be successful while treating their associates with fairness regardless of their ethnic background. But I believe that the reality is that white males still hold the vast majority key positions in business and politics. You can point at exceptions in the business world... and hurray for Colin, Condi and Nancy Pelosi... but we have a long way to go before true diversity in the halls of power.
We dont need diversity to be a great nation, contrary to popular belief. Are you saying this nation would be a better nation if were controlled by blacks and latinos, but not whites? As if white people were hurting this nation.

The apology is empty and meaningless, political show. Doesnt do anything, its just something that when its brought up in the future everyone can say "I voted for it."

Old 02-27-2007, 05:56 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Yeah, it's "uncool" to be smart..... Didn't you know that???

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
There certainly has been a lot of progress and effort made over the past 40 years or so to create equal opportunity for all. Whether that makes up for the 100-plus years preceding of outright discrimination towards blacks in particular, I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

I agree that there comes a time where one should take personal responsibility for improving one's lot in life. There are a number of poorer black people (and low-income minorities in general) who could make a more honest effort to change their lives. However, I think there are those who do so and are stymied in their efforts for reasons I've already expressed.

Personally, I work hard and don't think I have been either favored or held back in my career for being a black man. But I do know other minorities and women who feel otherwise.

If a hardworking white businessman or politician can look at himself in the mirror and say: "I do my best to treat my employees/constituents the same, regardless of race and gender", then I can respect their frustration. However, in many parts of this country, I believe that is unfortunately the exception, not the rule.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Did anyone watch CNN last night? Black students getting good grades in school were taunted by other black students for "acting white". Black kids who look down on education hold themselves back.
I didn't see the CNN feature but I can relate to being disrespected in high school for wanting to achieve academically. It didn't make me popular among most of my black peers but it also didn't stop me from wanting to succeed in school. Fortunately, that all became irrelevant once I went to college. The things that could change that mindset would make for a good topic in a separate forum.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
We dont need diversity to be a great nation, contrary to popular belief. Are you saying this nation would be a better nation if were controlled by blacks and latinos, but not whites? As if white people were hurting this nation.

The apology is empty and meaningless, political show. Doesnt do anything, its just something that when its brought up in the future everyone can say "I voted for it."
Actually I think it would be great if, for example, Congress consisted of roughly 50% women and percentages of the broader ethnic groups - blacks, Hispanics(yes, the legal ones ), Asians and Natives - that more or less represented the population of the country.

I think more minorites and women would run for office if they felt that the majority power structure would support them. And that's one way how I feel some white males are hurting this nation.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM

97 posts, read 616,434 times
Default They call it Affirmative Action

Quote:
Actually I think it would be great if, for example, Congress consisted of roughly 50% women and percentages of the broader ethnic groups - blacks, Hispanics(yes, the legal ones ), Asians and Natives - that more or less represented the population of the country.

I think more minorites and women would run for office if they felt that the majority power structure would support them. And that's one way how I feel some white males are hurting this nation.
That's a beauty point of Democracy, the country as a whole votes in white males and the minorities can complain that the white males have more say in government. If they're the best suited for the job, they get the vote sorry.

And as for the Affirmitive Action that you mentioned, I'd be for it as long as they implemented it in sports as well. If you have 50% women and 35% blacks in congress, I want the same ratio in college and professional basketball and football. Deal? That makes it sound a little more like communism doesn't it?

Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,377,592 times
WELL WHERES MY THANK YOUS ? MY FAMILY FOUGHT IN A OHIO REGIMENT TO FREE THE SLAVES...DONT I GET A THANK YOU ?
MOST VIRGINIANS WERE THEMSELVES SHARE CROPPERS, MOST COULDN'T AFFORD SLAVES. TALK ABOUT STEREOTYPING PEOPLE . A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO A GREAT MANS PHOTO WAS TAKEN DOWN OFF OF RICHMOND'S FLOOD Wall BY A BLACK CITY COUNCIL THE MAN WAS THE ONE WHO GOT UP AND TOOK COMMUNION AFTER THE WAR WHEN A BLACK MAN WAS THE FIRST TO TAKE COMMUNION...THIS SET THE PACE THAT WE MUST ALL GET ALONG...ROBERT E LEE A GREAT GENERAL, A GREAT EDUCATOR, AND A GREAT MAN......BUT HIS PICTURE WAS TAKEN DOWN ,......SO LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT THIS SLAVERY ISSUE,YES T WAS A TERRIBLE THING BUT MOST AMERICANS DIDN'T PARTICIPATE IN SLAVERY,....ITS JUST WHAT THE GOVT SCHOOLS TELL THE YOUNGUNS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies