Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No...because we are free to speak up against what is wrong AND having God in the pledge is wrong.
It's wrong only in your opinion and it's right only in my opinion. So, where does it go from there.

Better yet, we have tons of homeless on our streets, unsecured borders, a ever-present terrorist threat looming over us, children starving to death right here in the USA, just to name a few, yet we feel the insane complusion to argue over one single word. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That's really immature. You don't just pack up and leave over something that can be fixed. If it's important enough, you try to enact change. You don't just say "**** it, I'm going to another country." And I think it's extremely rude to suggest that someone do that because they don't agree with you.

You misunderstood me or perhaps I worded it wrong. All I was saying is if someone is so horribly unhappy with living somewhere and is so distraught over something so minor, in comparison to the other issues we have to face, then perhaps America isn't the country that best suits their needs.

Also, please don't call me "rude" just because you don't agree with my opinion. I'm not doing that to you.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
You misunderstood me or perhaps I worded it wrong. All I was saying is if someone is so horribly unhappy with living somewhere and is so distraught over something so minor, in comparison to the other issues we have to face, then perhaps America isn't the country that best suits their needs.
You don't seem to mean it the way most people do when they say it, then. And I'm not disagreeing that it's minor.

Quote:
Also, please don't call me "rude" just because you don't agree with my opinion. I'm not doing that to you.
It just came off (to me) like you were saying that someone should leave if they don't like it, i.e., if they don't agree with you, they can leave the country. I guess that's not fair--just because some people really feel that way doesn't mean you do. But I'm surprised that you don't see how a post such as yours might be followed by a reaction like mine.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
You don't seem to mean it the way most people do when they say it, then. And I'm not disagreeing that it's minor.

It just came off (to me) like you were saying that someone should leave if they don't like it, i.e., if they don't agree with you, they can leave the country. I guess that's not fair--just because some people really feel that way doesn't mean you do. But I'm surprised that you don't see how a post such as yours might be followed by a reaction like mine.
I did see it after reading my post after your response and I apologize for not wording it better. I can completely understand your initial response.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
It's wrong only in your opinion and it's right only in my opinion. So, where does it go from there.

Better yet, we have tons of homeless on our streets, unsecured borders, a ever-present terrorist threat looming over us, children starving to death right here in the USA, just to name a few, yet we feel the insane complusion to argue over one single word. Think about it.
Dont tell me what to do. I already do think. I know there are children and homeless. This is why I vote Democrat so we can help the middle class and the poor instead of the rich...unlike Christians who are blinded by their religion and keep on voting Republican because they are "pro life".

And yes, God should be removed. I am not arguing over just a word but for our society as a whole. God should not be pushed on to anyone.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Dont tell me what to do. I already do think. I know there are children and homeless. This is why I vote Democrat so we can help the middle class and the poor instead of the rich...unlike Christians who are blinded by their religion and keep on voting Republican because they are "pro life".

And yes, God should be removed. I am not arguing over just a word but for our society as a whole. God should not be pushed on to anyone.
If you expect someone to consider your point of view seriously, it is wise to not begin your post with a sentence like that. Once I read that, I completely lost any interest in reading what you had to say.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess I don't understand the concept of "taking the Lords name in vain" Give me an example of how I can add to this statement . .

it's an optional statement of patriotism and loyalty to the USA.

. . . with a "taking the Lord's name in vani" added to it. for emphasis.

Jesus Christ, you're exasperating.
You're right, I am. Sorry about that.

I'm not really even that religious..... I guess my issue here was simply how every little thing was being turned into an issue of political correctness.

Personally, I prefer a salute to the pledge anyways.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post

I'm not really even that religious..... I guess my issue here was simply how every little thing was being turned into an issue of political correctness.

Personally, I prefer a salute to the pledge anyways.
This is almost an instance in which the phrase political correctness fits.

God was inserted into the Pledge as a result of political correctness. It is kept there for the same reason - not because it belongs but because it would be a political disaster for a U.S. Representative to go against it. We've seen how candidates label any opponent they can find an excuse to saddle with this as "Godless" or "Anti-God" or things like that.

The notion that we, as a country, should abide by our own constitution seems lost on folks at times.

The notion that it is somehow politically correct to respect others' religious beliefs (or lack thereof) in our official pledge, rather than just plain respectful of the differences between and among us, boggles my mind.

The notion that folks think it is "just one word" that bothers me and many, if not all, of those opposed to it, rather than a deeper principle that is being contested in schools and government across this country, appalls me.

When school boards vote to teach creationism in school and/or eliminate evolution from the curriculum, that is the same fight.

When elections are scheduled on Saturdays, that is the same fight.

When people get up in arms because a newly elected U.S. Representative is going to use the Quran at his swearing in, that is the same fight.

When around the country, people believe that because a man has a middle name of Hussein, therefore he must be a Muslim and therefore should not be President, that is the same fight.

It is not being correct for the sake of seeming correct or to satisfy some greedy and capricious standard. The goal is not to placate people. It is to treat them with respect and consideration - the same consideration one would want if oneself were the minority.

Can it be taken too far? Absolutely. But most of the time, we are so far from that level that it makes for a poor excuse.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
:

It's big of you to say that. You've distinguished yourself with honor.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
You say you believe in God, yet you want to make it a dirty word.

You and the others who get so bothered by that little 3-letter word forget that you do HAVE A CHOICE. So a coin says In God We Trust. . . So what? Why should you care? You don't want to trust God, then don't. That's your choice.

Same thing with those who get upset over the 10 Commandments posted in public buildings. If one doesn't like it, why care? No one HAS to abide by them (although, break a few of those laws, your ass may go to jail, anyway!).

The Bible could be a procedure to re-examine, I suppose. But, then, again, for an atheist who thinks it's such an irrelevent "book", then why should it spook you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies