Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 AM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,736 times

Advertisements

Cool Jonotastic, that was a very sensible post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
JGY

Then what are you JPS Teacher?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
GET A LIFE!

Seriously, I'm sick of how petty people can be, do you go looking for stuff to **** you off?

I am NOT A CHRISTIAN, I am NOT RELIGIOUS, you could almost say I AM ANTI-RELIGIOUS, but our Pledge of Allegiance is a tradition, a good tradition, you don't have to take it for the literal meaning of God. Same with our bills "In God We Trust", it's our history! The Queen is still around in England, yet she doesn't govern as the Queen used to do, it's tradition.
GOD SAVE OUR NOBLE QUEENNN!!!!

I love their anthem! <3

BUT at the same time....they are a theocracy and they have a QUEEN to sing that too.

We should not have "Under God", if it is said that we will not pick up one religion over another. I don't care about tradition. Some traditions are better off broken and this is the time to get rid of "Under God". We need to focus on equality and we need to focus on making this more neutral.

And if you say you want tradition, then the original traditional version is "'I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with equality, liberty and justice for all."

Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
GET A LIFE!

Seriously, I'm sick of how petty people can be, do you go looking for stuff to **** you off?

I am NOT A CHRISTIAN, I am NOT RELIGIOUS, you could almost say I AM ANTI-RELIGIOUS, but our Pledge of Allegiance is a tradition, a good tradition, you don't have to take it for the literal meaning of God. Same with our bills "In God We Trust", it's our history! The Queen is still around in England, yet she doesn't govern as the Queen used to do, it's tradition.
It was a good tradition. Then it got changed to promote a particular religious agenda at the time. I prefer the earlier, longer tradition - it was more true a) to the author's desires and b) our country's states beliefs.

So, as you say, get a life and stop being so petty.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Then what are you JPS Teacher?
Given how people are treated by others on this board and insulted, you will perhaps excuse me if I don't wish to get deeply into my beliefs.

Please just accept that I am not an atheist.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
JGY

Well if you do not have the intestinal fortitude to explain your beliefs on an anonymous board, how can anyone trust you for what you say you are? So you are not an atheist? how about an agnostic? or maybe a hindu?

Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 AM
JGY

yet people like you have no trouble insulting people for their christian beliefs? that is so messed up !!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
yet people like you have no trouble insulting people for their christian beliefs? that is so messed up !!
The only reason why atheists and people from other religions get angry at Christians is because of their arrogance and the way they force it down.

Like take the user Msconnie on here. She thinks it is fine to "spread the gospel."

I asked her to please let me "share" the Vedas with her. As far as I see, she has not replied...and probably will not.

This goes for many Christians. They feel that THEY can go around and spread their religion and they demand it be called "Christmas" when it really is not. It is Yuletide and Christians simply took it over and renamed it.

It is when Christianity wants to put God everywhere and put their beliefs and morals into the government and get involved. Like seriously, no one can deny Christianity does not try to get into the government and political parties. I even have people who vote Republican just because of abortion. Come on now! And pastors saying that they will not give services to people who voted for Obama?

It is ok for Christians to celebrate Christmas and expect other people to just deal with it. It is ok for Christians to say "Jesus Saves" or "God Bless America" but if any one dared to say "Allah Bless America" or "Lord Krishna Bless America", I can already see what is coming. Just look at the vast majority of McCain/Palin supporters. "OMG..HE IS ISLAM? OH MY GOD! I am scared..he's an ARAB!" He is Christian.

Why are Christians so afraid of having a person of different religion/background becoming president? I for one, would put my entire earnings DOWN on a bet that says Christians would damn a candidate that was anything but Christian. They would say "Don't vote for this Godless person...or don't vote for that Hindu.." No doubt, hands down..I bet all my life earnings on that.

What makes them think all other religions are nothing compared to theirs? Honestly. I think all religions that practice peace and all prophets that practice love are ALL BEAUTIFUL RELIGIONS! Not just Christianity but ALL OF THEM!

I don't object to people being Christian. Not at all. Their belief but what does bother me is when they try to get me to go to Church or tell me that they are worried about me because they see me walking off the cliff to Hell. Like come on! I have NEVER said those things to anyone regardless. So why must Christians make a big deal about that Atheist sign on the Capital State Building? Why? Why must they make a big deal about Obama being "Islam"? Why must they feel the need to force (yes, FORCE) Christianity on to people by "sharing the Gospel"? Why must they say "Merry Christmas" to EVERYONE if they do not know if they are Christian? I mean, I do not mind it if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me but I wonder what they would say if I said "Happy EID" or "Happy Diwali" to Christians when it is time for those holidays from other religions? I bet someone would complain about me to my boss saying I was "imposing my belief on them".

As someone said, if people wanted the Gospel, they can walk into a Church themselves. They will seek it and find it. No need to spread it to people. Like I said, I would like to talk to Msconnie about that.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. This is anything but. I intended for a short response but ended up writing a lot more. Ha.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 AM
JGY

Short and simple answer, because christianity has been the traditional religion of our country.

I wouldnt expect to go to Iraq and be offended if someone wished me "Happy EID", I would politely thank them and maybe tell them that I was not a muslim but I appreciate their hospitality and goodwill anyway.

Iraq is a predominately Muslim country, and we are a predominately christian country. It is assumed by us that someone from Iraq will be a muslim, just as many muslims would assume that we are christian..

Oh well, so much for a short answer

Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Short and simple answer, because christianity has been the traditional religion of our country.

I wouldnt expect to go to Iraq and be offended if someone wished me "Happy EID", I would politely thank them and maybe tell them that I was not a muslim but I appreciate their hospitality and goodwill anyway.

Iraq is a predominately Muslim country, and we are a predominately christian country. It is assumed by us that someone from Iraq will be a muslim, just as many muslims would assume that we are christian..

Oh well, so much for a short answer
Yes BUT we are supposed to religious freedom and equality here. Comparing Iraq to USA is comparing apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies