Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK — Gay is the new black, say the protest signs and magazine covers, casting the gay marriage battle as the last frontier of equal rights for all.
Gay marriage is not a civil right, opponents counter, insisting that minority status comes from who you are rather than what you do.

Newsmax.com – Gay Marriage Supporters Say &#39Gay is the New Black&#39 (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/gay_black_relations/2008/11/30/156578.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Gay marriage is not a civil right, opponents counter, insisting that minority status comes from who you are rather than what you do.
That's a pretty loaded statement to stick into an article.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,708 times
There is no doubt discrimination against gays, but there was no such thing as 'coming out' if you were black/minority during the civil rights movement.

More often than not, folks will not even know a person is gay unless he/she tells them, and that's when the discrimination starts.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
There is no doubt discrimination against gays, but there was no such thing as 'coming out' if you were black/minority during the civil rights movement.

More often than not, folks will not even know a person is gay unless he/she tells them, and that's when the discrimination starts.

I'm not sure the attitudes are the same for blacks and gays. I worked in the restaurant business for a very long time. It goes without saying that gays of both genders were everywhere in that business. I never witnessed any open discrimination against the gay waiters, cooks and managers I worked with. In fact, gay waiters seemed to always get really great tips. I don't think the same holds true for Lesbian waitresses. People seem to expect and like gay waiters though. I personally enjoyed working with most of them because they seemed, IMHO, to have a better work ethic than a lot of strait coworkers. I worked with a couple who had a really good sense of humor about the whole thing. One guy, had this habit of swaggering up to the pantry window to call off his dessert order for all to hear, "Berries for the fairy!" (berries and cream). I think he pushed that dessert just so he could do that. Another guy liked to go to gay clubs after work. He would change into a dress in the men's room before leaving. This time of year I used to bust his chops about "donning his gay apparel". I might get sued for doing that now.

The first guy, was actively courted by the company (D.Dennison's, Farmington Hills, MI) and I think he was a manager at some point after I left. I think if he were more defensive about his sexual preference, the company might have been a little more cool to the idea of advancing him. The second guy was a partier and often late/hung-over. I don't think he got the same consideration for that reason at least.

I don't doubt for a minute that some gays are discriminated against, but I also think they are likely to get a boost up from gay managers. Blacks have traditionally been in a different situation because of fewer black managers available give them the same boost and, as stated earlier, there are no closet blacks. I would give some credit to "gaydar" for helping gays, still in the closet, to achieve.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
NEW YORK — Gay is the new black, say the protest signs and magazine covers, casting the gay marriage battle as the last frontier of equal rights for all.

Newsmax.com – Gay Marriage Supporters Say 'Gay is the New Black' (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/gay_black_relations/2008/11/30/156578.html - broken link)
This is one of the reasons why they don't get more support. I certainly wouldn't support their cause if they choose to characterize their "rights" in this manner. How ludicrous.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:

Newsmax.com – Gay Marriage Supporters Say &#39Gay is the New Black&#39 (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/gay_black_relations/2008/11/30/156578.html - broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
That's a pretty loaded statement to stick into an article.
It just proves that they don't even know the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behaviour. Once again...it's all about the "sex".

Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
I had some gay friends in Europe and they were disgusted with the gay community who were so controversial with their gay parade and kissing in the open, etc. They always said it hurt the gays more the way they acted. My gay friends also stated that they were just as disgusted when heterosexuals were kissing in the street and were trying to shock others, just as the group of gays do who were disturbing a church sermon, etc.

This is not what the majority of gays are standing for. Just because some want to get married doesn't mean they want to do that.

The Netherlands was the first country to allow gays to marry and of course was the first country to get many gay divorces and lawyers were in favor of the marriage since they had a new group of clients to make money off.....

There was also the first gay couple who wanted to adopt a baby and they finally got what they wanted and it was all over the news...the sad thing was that soon after they divorced and the baby was torn between to mothers who had new relations and were in a legal battle and more of a war than trying to solve it in a good way....

The gay people I have known over the years (in Europe) mostly had short relationships and were living in a free way.....so why not call it different than a marriage and give them the same rights as a married couple, if they want that, but they have to know that if they want to have their status changed it will cost them a lot of money (legal fees, etc...just as when a couple get a divorce)

Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Lol, gay is the new black. And up is the new down. And inside is the new outside. Anything to sell a magazine. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies