Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They have single-handedly destroyed more American manufacturing jobs than NAFTA, too, and replaced them with positions that don't pay a living wage.
No, the unions have. As we can see what's happening to the car manufacturers (buried in union goodies) the same has happened to other industries. A unionized shop adds an extraordinary cost to the finished good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard

Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, the unions have. As we can see what's happening to the car manufacturers (buried in union goodies) the same has happened to other industries. A unionized shop adds an extraordinary cost to the finished good.
And the $1,500 an hour private jet executives don't

A unionized shop, in a GOOD economy, causes ALL ships to rise.

When union aren't under attack, when their wages rise, everyone's wages rise.

SOME people won't be happy until everyone but executives make $4.00 an hour.... won't THAT be a thriving economy

Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
Walmart employees need to unionize in order to guarantee that non management folks can work 40 hours per week and have access to benefits.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:41 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Walmart employees need to unionize in order to guarantee that non management folks can work 40 hours per week and have access to benefits.
That is fine with me if WalMart employess unionize but when your average Chrysler hourly auto worker makes $151,000 total compensation it is no wonder whay the auto industry is is so much trouble. It is completely out of line with what they do.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
That is fine with me if WalMart employess unionize but when your average Chrysler hourly auto worker makes $151,000 total compensation it is no wonder whay the auto industry is is so much trouble. It is completely out of line with what they do.

Prior to the mid 90s it was common for grocery store cashiers to be members of a union.

They received fair pay- well above minimum wage, but not ridiculously high. My sister worked as a cashier through high school and college- I believe she was making about $12 per hour at the end.

They received benefits, vacation time and a fair number of hours in order to qualify for benefits- which I believe was 30 hours per week.

WalMart has cheapened the industry- offering low wages and no benefits for workers who work less than full time- their way around that is to not allow employees work full time.

It is a dangerous precedent- one that other companies are following. And again, I think Wal Mart workers need to consider unionizing.

If wal mart can be as much as 39% less on goods, they can provide health insurance to their employees and pay them a fair wage- and still manage to be 15% less than everyone else.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Prior to the mid 90s it was common for grocery store cashiers to be members of a union.

They received fair pay- well above minimum wage, but not ridiculously high. My sister worked as a cashier through high school and college- I believe she was making about $12 per hour at the end.

They received benefits, vacation time and a fair number of hours in order to qualify for benefits- which I believe was 30 hours per week.

WalMart has cheapened the industry- offering low wages and no benefits for workers who work less than full time- their way around that is to not allow employees work full time.

It is a dangerous precedent- one that other companies are following. And again, I think Wal Mart workers need to consider unionizing.

If wal mart can be as much as 39% less on goods, they can provide health insurance to their employees and pay them a fair wage- and still manage to be 15% less than everyone else.
Not to mention avoid hireing illegals....

Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,525 times
Quote:
I strongly disagree... without unions, work is a sweatshop - and I'm not a union worker and never have been...

Yes, at the Big 3, a part of the problem is excessive benefits that the UAW was able to bargain for their members... but a bigger problem is their poor management, too many brands, and car designs that many Americans don't want to buy... plus an image of inferior quality products...

Old 12-07-2008, 05:58 PM

37,220 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
I find it most interesting that you don't see a connection between WalMart changing from American-made goods to predominantly Chinese goods and the loss of American manufacturing jobs. WalMart is the biggest retailer in America, and their low prices have cost this country a great deal more than just money.

They are the poster child for what is wrong with American business today. What used to be a corporate heart when Sam Walton was alive has today become a brass piggy bank.

I hope Costco runs WalMart out of business.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:

Tommy's Second Law of Wages----When I'm well paid it's good for the economy, when you're well paid it causes inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies