Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,450 times

Advertisements

I have applied for maybe 10 jobs this year and every time the question about my race comes up. Why is that? Really?
How do we know that companies are not using that for what I fear they do?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I have applied for maybe 10 jobs this year and every time the question about my race comes up. Why is that? Really?
How do we know that companies are not using that for what I fear they do?
I think they are mandated to collect this information but it does make me feel awkward providing this information as I cannot guarantee that it isn't being used to screen me out because I'm white.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Since I have a disability, I also feel uncomfortable putting that information down.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:40 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,038 times
When I was managing restaurants, I seem to remember that those questions were optional.

Are they saying that you must answer?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Every time I've applied, I've been given the option to fill that portion out, but never forced. I was always able to opt out. Like a post above said, it's some gov't requirement.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Because, employers can fire white people without repercussions, but not black people. They have to know whether they can fire you or not. They also have a quota, and they will be boycotted if they do not meet their quota of minority hiring. Sometimes, though, they can just look at you, and fill it in themselves with a pencil, and erase if if anybody comes snooping around.
This also gives them plausible deniability. If they fire a minority who leaves it blank, then if they get accused of discrimination, they can say "We didn't even know he was black".

Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because, employers can fire white people, but not black people. They have to know whether they can fire you or not. They also have a quota, and they will be boycotted if they do not meet their quota of minority hiring. Sometimes, though, they can just look at you, and fill it in themselves with a pencil, and erase if if anybody comes snooping around.
This also gives them plausible deniability. If they fire a minority who leaves it blank, then if they get accused of discrimination, they can say "We didn't even know he was black".

Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It's best to check off a non-white box because then you cannot be fired or laid off. Many of these businesses are trying to fill government set quotas and you'd have an advantage over someone who checked white.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
What utter nonsense! Rather than spewing racism, why not do a little research. Laws have been enacted to prohibit discriminatory hiring practices; not to ensure no blacks will be fired, or that only whites are fired. There are also laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status, and in some states, sexual orientation. Your disdain for blacks is astounding, and glaringly illustrates why these laws are necessary.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Equal Employment Opportunity - Ethnic/National Origin (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/discrimination/ethnicdisc.htm - broken link)

OASAM (http://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/age_act.htm - broken link)

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) - Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (http://www.dol.gov/esa/ofccp/regs/compliance/fs503.htm - broken link)

Furthermore, notwithstanding laws, some blacks are summarily eliminated from consideration for employment by virtue of their ‘ethnic’ names. It’s a furtive (and illegal) practice in many HR departments.

Quote:
A job applicant with a name that sounds like it might belong to an African-American – say, Lakisha Washington or Jamal Jones – can find it harder to get a job. Despite laws against discrimination.....
Employers' Replies to Racial Names

Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 AM

72 posts, read 94,790 times
Race data is used against Whites.

Even Barack Obama, our "post-racial" president, has no plans to help end race-based programs, institutionalized anti-White racism, "diversity" (code for "less Whites) initiatives, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies