Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, Sparky, knock yourself out and head back to Russia. I'm sure they have culture they haven't used yet there.
Very intelligent reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,816 times
Too fast paced, too materialistic, lack of empathy. Its a disease I call Americanism and its spreading.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
They can't get up off their butt's to clean their houses

Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I think our culture is the result of a lack of socialization, a lack of community. Our post WWII wealth has been squandered on an unsustainable development pattern that limits mobility to those who do not drive, scatters households far and wide - grouping them by market segment, and generally promotes isolation. A home sits in the middle of the lot to maximize distance, the front door is a garage door, and there is only one way out of our cluster of houses to get to the store and that's through a big iron gate that's broke most of the time. But we sure feel safe! Our kids can't go anywhere unless we drive them - so we don't even bother building side-walks. Stores sit far away from the road with expansive parking lots to welcome (or anger) shopers. We wonder why all kids do is play video games and surf the internet. And we ask "gee, what happened to Main Street and the mom-&-pop shops? Damn Wal-mart!" Meanwhile we've all moved as far from Main Street as we and commute an hour every morning.

Answer this: can you go buy a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread without getting in your car? How do you think kids feel?
Quote:
So you're an addle-brained celeb worshipper, too.

Kind of undercuts your original post. I mean, hey, if you want to glorify a polyester-wearing, pill-popping, overrated Las Vegas lounge singer, go ahead. But don't launch into a scathing critique of American popular culture while doing it.
Wow, somebody has sunglass envy

Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
And how did we get here? Why should I care if Lindsey Lohan's lesbian lover was admitted to a hospital in LA? Why should I care about Paris Hilton?

Furthermore, what is with the emphasis on these youngsters who haven't even lived long enough to figure out what it's all about?

I have heard other cultures are not this way. What is wrong with Americans?
you have been programmed, since birth, by marketers to like what they want you to like.

its inevitable, it cant be stopped. resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

Old 12-28-2008, 09:46 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
you have been programmed, since birth, by marketers to like what they want you to like.

its inevitable, it cant be stopped. resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

Elvis and Star Trek in one thread! Prayers are answered!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times
Quote:
So you're an addle-brained celeb worshipper, too.

Kind of undercuts your original post. I mean, hey, if you want to glorify a polyester-wearing, pill-popping, overrated Las Vegas lounge singer, go ahead. But don't launch into a scathing critique of American popular culture while doing it.
Very nice post!! You have shown thousands of people that you cannot attack a point only a screen name .. I would assume your parents are proud of you??? Or by pointing out the flaws in this country i hit a nerve? Was it the fat bloated couch potato thing??

Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,536 times
You got 'reality' shows displaying our 'culture' to the world and it aint pretty - trash on Springer, idiots on Judge Judy, fools in prison, serial killer criminals on true crime shows, rapper-pimps like Snoop Dog are 'good examples', what - You got a PROBLEM with American 'culture'? LOL!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
"What is WRONG with American culture?"

Absolutely nothing from what I can tell. I'm listening to Wallace Roney, and couldn't pick Lindsey Loham out of a line-up.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
And how did we get here? Why should I care if Lindsey Lohan's lesbian lover was admitted to a hospital in LA? Why should I care about Paris Hilton?

Furthermore, what is with the emphasis on these youngsters who haven't even lived long enough to figure out what it's all about?

I have heard other cultures are not this way. What is wrong with Americans?
It's just end-stage capitalism. There's money to be made by attracting eyeballs to Lindsay Lohan and whatever advertised products she represents. We submit to school in order to go to some joyless college - online even - so we may qualify to join the work force. We join the work force to earn money to further stupefy ourselves with food, drink and entertainment. Remember those fat slugs in their lounge chairs in WALL-E? That's where we are now IMO. Next stop, legalized drugs (government-issued soma) and Brave New World.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies