Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Upping the minimum wage would in the short term change this a bit but in the long term it shouldn’t Been there This is true but the macro picture has some problems with it. Front Page This article has some good stuff on the macro picture. We need higher wages to pay for the houses we bought on foreign credit. With macro deflation (the dropping prices of houses) we are going to be looking at dropping wages not increasing wages. This needs to be turned around before we can have strong economic growth. If we up the minimum wage as far as I want to it will be some time before what you just said is true again bit it will be true again.
A minimum wage will stifle you.

The good workers are stuck in the pay group with the poor workers.

Why do you want laws that hold you back??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
A minimum wage will stifle you.

The good workers are stuck in the pay group with the poor workers.
In your personal case how did it work for you?
Quote:

Why do you want laws that hold you back??
[quote=Driller1;18676563] To fix the macroeconomic picture. We are in a deflationary environment currently. This sucks from an economic growth point of view.
Did the minimum wage hold you back? You’ve said that it made you as a person to work for the minimum wage.

It didn’t stifle you. You are arguing for not letting others have the experience that made you as a person. How thoughtful of you.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM

[quote=newonecoming2;18677772]In your personal case how did it work for you?
Quote:
To fix the macroeconomic picture. We are in a deflationary environment currently. This sucks from an economic growth point of view.
Did the minimum wage hold you back? You’ve said that it made you as a person to work for the minimum wage.

It didn’t stifle you. You are arguing for not letting others have the experience that made you as a person. How thoughtful of you.
Well, in time I quit and started in an apprentice program to get my drilling license.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
In your personal case how did it work for you? Well, in time I quit and started in an apprentice program to get my drilling license.
And the motivation was for something better than what you had. As far as I am concerned the minimum wage should be high enough to keep people fro being under so much economic stress that they get into trouble (if they are working). If you want more then go out and get it. I'm not talking about setting it high enough to make the minimum wage workers well off. It looks like that from where we are now but it wont be that way for long after the bump in wages. Inflation will take a big part of the value of the bump away.

With the inflation will come the lose of a big part of that value. But the big debt burden that we as a nation carry will also loos it's value. And that will make all of us much better off.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Minimum wage jobs should be just a stepping stone to better paying jobs.

In the early 90's I worked three minimum jobs to make ends meet.

It taught me many things.

I knew I would never have much working for others.

So, I changed my direction.

I am very thankful to my small jobs.

I knew I did not want to be there.

Some people have neither the choice or the ability to get a better paying job. It is a nice thought but not based in reality.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM

442 posts, read 553,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Some people have neither the choice or the ability to get a better paying job. It is a nice thought but not based in reality.
^^^^^^^^ exactly.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So...they should be paid more than they are worth??

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
And the motivation was for something better than what you had. As far as I am concerned the minimum wage should be high enough to keep people fro being under so much economic stress that they get into trouble (if they are working). If you want more then go out and get it. I'm not talking about setting it high enough to make the minimum wage workers well off. It looks like that from where we are now but it wont be that way for long after the bump in wages. Inflation will take a big part of the value of the bump away.

With the inflation will come the lose of a big part of that value. But the big debt burden that we as a nation carry will also loos it's value. And that will make all of us much better off.
But, if it were not for the minimum wage perhaps they could work their way up at there current job.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
"Some people have neither the choice ".

We all have choices, and doing a minimum wage job at age 45 is not because of what happened that week. Its usually an accumulation of years of indifference to acquiring skills, education, and training.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM

442 posts, read 553,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"Some people have neither the choice ".

We all have choices, and doing a minimum wage job at age 45 is not because of what happened that week. Its usually an accumulation of years of indifference to acquiring skills, education, and training.
That is not true. That is just ignorant. Are you an educated social worker that deals with people of all backgrounds? Please..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies