Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnt View Post
It's not as simple as making oneself gay. I don't think the process is that simple, and there has to be some other factors at work. Like I said, you can't make yourself "actually" be gay, but you can choose to live that kind of lifestyle

And like all those white boys in suburban Minnesota, I can make myself live a "black lifestyle" too. I can sag my pants, start a gang, sell crack, play basketball, listen to hip-hop and smoke blunts...but that still wouldn't make me black, I'd just be a wannabe. There is no such thing as "the gay lifestyle" because there are many different kinds of gay people.

I work directly with two different gay people, one is in the closet (he doesn't know that I know he's gay), and the other was on the front page of a local newspaper with his "life partner". I also know a gay black man who seems gay to a lot of people, but lives the same kind of life that any other single 28 year old (with a Yale degree and a million in the bank) does. He just looks for a different kind of partner. While I would go to any one of a hundred clubs where slutty women go to pick up guys, he would go to a bar where he would be sure to be safe in being open about his gayness. Honestly, that's the only difference. To say that there's a "Gay lifestyle" is just wrong. Unless that "lifestyle" is the hiding of one's innate sexuality because you never know who is a bigot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,307 times
I didn't even bother to read the entries, I just saw the title. For me..(just me) I can't really see the correlation to black and gay. I am black, and I am gay. I didnt really experience racism. I experienced homophobia. Two totally separate entities. I wish people stop comparing how hard it is to be gay and how hard it is to be black. It doesn't make any sense to me. Quit it~! lol At least us **** can drink out of any water fountain we find LOL!! And theres no Gay Only drinking fountain! LOL! Relax, lets move on

Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Couldn't help but notice this contradiction.

I am assuming that you would prefer that "sexual orientation" be a protected class along with race, religion, color, creed, and nat'l origin, right?

So given that you "truly believe" pedophilia to be an innate sexual orientation like homosexuality, why argue against extending civil rights protections to pedophiles as well?

My point exactly.
There's no contradiction in what I've said. A lot of people argue sexual orientation is a choice and therefore should not be a protected class (even though religion is a choice and is a protected class - there's a contradiction). I disagree with the premise that homosexuality is a choice, and I argue that it is biologically innate in order to undermine their argument.

I never said or argued that if something is not a choice and is biologically determined, then it should be a protected class. It's certainly something to look at, but it's not a rationale unto itself. Biology doesn't have morals or ethics. I do believe pedophilia is biologically determined - who would choose that??? That in no way means it is moral, or ethical, or should be tolerated in civil society. We have the gifts of reason, analysis and evaluation. In my evaluation, homosexuality is moral and ethic and good. Pedophilia is immoral, unethical, and bad.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Yeah, uh huh. Just don't try to keep company with them if you're a minority within their majority, gay or not. Might just find that the empathy you were searching for is no longer there.

Gay Racism in the Castro | keithboykin.com (http://www.keithboykin.com/arch/2005/05/04/gay_racism_in_t - broken link)
Racism in the LGBT community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You think that these articles mean anything whatsoever? Wow, some people who are gay are racist! Stop the presses!

It's a FACT, however, that the gay community as a whole (exceptions exist -Log Cabin Republicans, etc.) more likely to vote and support progressive and democratic candidates.

Besides, from your own link, with its laughably small list of "racist incidents" that include a white gay guy calling a Mexican woman a "*******" (oh my god, systemic racism!!!!!):

Because the LGBT community spans all ethnicities, races, and cultures, it is realistically improbable for racism to be entirely absent therein. The importance of racial tolerance and diversity, especially in a community which already receives so much discrimination from homophobia, has been publicly stressed by many LGBT celebrities.

And blacks? If it's not good for blacks, it's not worth talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes
With all this, why in Hades should blacks "reciprocate". The way some gays have treated blacks in their own community would show up Jim Crow any day. It does sort of bring to light an important point: That many gays only look to argue for the precepts of civil rights only when it suits (serves to further) their own cause.

This is why the OP, along with many other blacks, are understandably offended.
Everything you say can be turned right back around to blacks. That many blacks only look to argue for the precepts of civil rights when it suits to further THEIR OWN cause.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Please don't devolve into making silly comments like the one above. The company you keep, and how you keep it, is part of your lifestyle. Period.
That makes no sense. Let me go through the list of my closest friends:
Gay black man who works at google and graduated from Yale.
Straight white man who is a pharmaceutical scientist.
Straight black Cuban man who is a professional musician, is ten years my senior and has a 1 year old half-white baby.
Straight white woman who is 12 years my senior and who is basically married to her two dogs and is a militant feminist and democrat.
Straight white woman who is a die-hard GOP supporter and anti-feminist who believes that women should have "woman jobs".
Gay Filipino man who is obsessed with tennis and movies.
Straight Jewish man who is obsessed with soccer and who sells marijuana on the side while managing the account transfers department at a company that transfers hundreds of millions of dollars every day.
Straight white christian man who is a meteorologist and who is obsessed with San Francisco sports teams.

So from this what do you conclude about me? I'm pretty certain that you couldn't create a composite of who I am from these people, my 8 closest friends. So "the company you keep" is just another pile in that long line of BS you put out to justify your backwards views on gay rights. There's no such thing as a "Gay lifestyle"...they have their own neighborhoods not for a "lifestyle" but for safety in numbers. Think a gay man could open up an underwear shop in Macon, GA?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
And of course I know that not ALL blacks or as I stated, the problem is the good has to suffer for the bad. Look at this poster's remarks and ask yourself why have hardworking, intelligent, non-violent people come to America and prospered? The Chinese, the Vietnamese, the Indians, etc.... are mostly living the American dream (Doctors, dentist, owning businesses, etc....) because they want to work hard and not have everything handed to them like our African Americans do....

Why would that apply only to blacks? We seem to be the only group to be consistently judged in accordance with the progress (or lack thereof) of the absolute least of us.

Why shouldn't the overwhelmingly successful few in all these other ethnic groups you so readily praise be treated with the same standard; that is, forced to carry the burden of (seen in the same light as) those millions who could not (or would not) find their way to the American dreamland to become a model minority, only to sneer at blacks like the disgustingly racist Asian poster to which you responded?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Couldn't help but notice this contradiction.

I am assuming that you would prefer that "sexual orientation" be a protected class along with race, religion, color, creed, and nat'l origin, right?

So given that you "truly believe" pedophilia to be an innate sexual orientation like homosexuality, why argue against extending civil rights protections to pedophiles as well?
The difference is that two gay men (or women) who decide to get married are both consenting adults. By definition, a pedophile is a predator who is taking advantage of a child. If you can't see that, you're obviously unable to grasp simple logic.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
"Hey, are you married?"
"No"

Hey, do you have a girlfriend?"
"Nope"

Very simple.
Same conversation, different words (as I heard in the barracks in my time in the Navy, one of my shipmates was openly gay at home, but had to hide it in the service):

"Hey man, you got a special someone back home?"
"Uhhh, yeah"
"What's her name?"
---insert lie here: "Stephanie" (really, it's Steven)
There you go. If he tells the truth and says "Steven", he could be kicked out. Therefore, he has to lie. Since this is an exact conversation I witnessed, this is how it really works.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
It's not a game of semantics. The law doesn't say ONLY heterosexuals could marry. That would be discriminatory. It says marriage is only between a man and a woman. Meaning, heteros and homosexuals are allowed to do the same thing -- marry someone of the opposite sex.
Arguing that those law are not discriminatory is ludicrous. Would you argue that bans on interracial marriage were not discriminatory? I mean, it's not that a black person could not get married - they could always marry someone of the proper (same) race.

Quote:
First of all, I said it was a lie because, well, it was. See?
No, I still don't see the lie. Those law made it illegal for homosexuals to have homosexual sex. Please, enlighten me as to how that is a lie. (Spell it out for me, apparently I'm to dense to see what you're pointing out).

Quote:
"Hey, are you married?"
"No"

Very simple.
What if I were married to a man (several states allow it)? How do I answer the follow up questions like "what's her name?", "can i see a picture?"

How about the question like - "What kind of girls do you like"
I couldn't very well answer the honest way "The kind with penises"

Not simple at all

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM

450 posts, read 502,787 times
Quote:
Why would that apply only to blacks? We seem to be the only group to be consistently judged in accordance with the progress (or lack thereof) of the absolute least of us.

Why shouldn't the overwhelmingly successful few in all these other ethnic groups you so readily praise be treated with the same standard; that is, forced to carry the burden of (seen in the same light as) those millions who could not (or would not) find their way to the American dreamland to become a model minority, only to sneer at blacks like the disgustingly racist Asian poster to which you responded?

Why? Its simple because Blacks are looked at a lot worse than any other ethnic group in America (Illegal Mexicans are a distant second). What was racist about that Asian person's post? That was truth....

Thats the problem with us Blacks right there, we are so caught up in the I am victim role and I need handout role that anytime anyone speaks the truth about us, Its racism!
C'mon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies