Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM

563 posts, read 1,450,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Yeah. I guess that's because it's not YOU who's being anally electrocuted so that YOUR skin can be worn by someone else. Wearing fur from a humane killed animal because there is no alternative is one thing. Wearing bought fur because you "like" it, regardless of the brutality against the animal, makes you spiritually and morally bankrupt.
Heck, that coyote last summer was dead'r'n a doornail when we skinned him out. One shot as he was about to grab Chikin [defenseless creature, as in prey animal], as she flew for her life to the roof of the house. Instant kill.
Some human cultures have skinned humans. Or haven't you heard of "scalping"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 PM

563 posts, read 1,450,940 times
Quote:
According to you, Wolfsong isn't a credible source. I guess the Washington Post isn't, either?
What is a credible source? How about the Alaskan people themselves?
You don't really believe the WP, do you? Everything you read?
Our children are in serious trouble.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The Natives that you keep going on about did exactly that.

Don't get upset and think I'm advocating it; it's a simply an anthropological truth.

Duke University did a study on it if you require academic proof of the practise of denning; personally I'll take the word of the elders I've spoken with throughout the years.

Before the residents of Alaska voted to continue the ariel hunts, one of the tribes was preparing legislation that would have allowed them to revive denning should the vote not pass.
The fact that Native tribes want to do it doesn't excuse it. The act cruel. Animals aren't merely "units." Being Native is no excuse.

I know you think this source is not reputable, but whatever. In fact, I think they're wrong on this count. Because you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that killing young, viable wolf pups is just vicious.

Keep it Civil: Denning Proposal Deserves Reasonable Discussion

Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Isn't it nice for government to help you take care of your business?

I place value on action, not talk.
One does not have to be a genius to understand that we are the government in that we elect the government officials to take care of our problems. We pay for these services in the form of taxes.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
In fact, the wolf population has relatively little impact on the game population of Alaska.
Not true. The hunter population makes approximately 3% of difference, the rest is left to predators and nature, which includes winter kill, falls, avalanches, etc. In the areas where the wolf control measures have taken place, it's primarily wolves making a difference. Right where I hunt for moose, which isn't one of the targeted areas, I have seen 16-member wolf packs, but too far for me to kill.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,994,056 times
Quote:
I am not "ignorant of things of this nature." Stop making assumptions.
You are. And naive. And self-righteous.

When 1 in 100 calves make it in a calfing season - that is a problem.

The fact remains - since the culling program that number has risen to 39 in a 100. I would think you would applaud that.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,994,056 times
Quote:
Right where I hunt for moose
Now you've done it. Prepare yourself.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The fact that Native tribes want to do it doesn't excuse it. The act cruel. Animals aren't merely "units." Being Native is no excuse.

I know you think this source is not reputable, but whatever. In fact, I think they're wrong on this count. Because you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that killing young, viable wolf pups is just vicious.

Keep it Civil: Denning Proposal Deserves Reasonable Discussion
I disagree with you. Should an isolated village wait for F&G perhaps weeks, months, or years to take care of a wolf problem they may have at the moment? Nowadays they get permission first, but years ago they just took care of the problem themselves.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I guess that's because it's not YOU who's being anally electrocuted so that YOUR skin can be worn by someone else. Wearing fur from a humane killed animal because there is no alternative is one thing. Wearing bought fur because you "like" it, regardless of the brutality against the animal, makes you spiritually and morally bankrupt.
In my view you are completely loosing it to the point of derangement. No need to insult others, specially if you are a "professor." Prove your points in a sane manner, and people may listen.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not true. The hunter population makes approximately 3% of difference, the rest is left to predators and nature, which includes winter kill, falls, avalanches, etc. In the areas where the wolf control measures have taken place, it's primarily wolves making a difference. Right where I hunt for moose, which isn't one of the targeted areas, I have seen 16-member wolf packs, but too far for me to kill.
I'm sorry, but it appears that you are wrong.

Sarah Palin, predator control, shooting wolves | Salon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies