Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not all biologists and conservationists agree on wildlife management.
Only when they agree with your methods and philosophy would I guess they would be deemed credible and just to you.

That's a very disturbing way of looking at an issue, especially for a supposed teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,284,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Only when they agree with your methods and philosophy would I guess they would be deemed credible and just to you.

That's a very disturbing way of looking at an issue, especially for a supposed teacher.
Oh, sanrene. Go have some hot chocolate or something.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,631,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Great karma. Live by the sword, die by the sword...maybe one day you'll be a tasty morsel for a predator. By the sound of your posts though, you'd most likely be too bitter and tough to digest, probably regurgitated.
You do realize that once you accept your mortality, life is MUCH less complex.

I know I will die, it's part of living.

I could only be so lucky to complete the circle of life, instead of being stuck in a hospital or a nursing home being a total drain on society and do no one any good.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The fact that Native tribes want to do it doesn't excuse it. The act cruel. Animals aren't merely "units." Being Native is no excuse.

I know you think this source is not reputable, but whatever. In fact, I think they're wrong on this count. Because you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that killing young, viable wolf pups is just vicious.

Keep it Civil: Denning Proposal Deserves Reasonable Discussion
The article was actually more reasonable than I would expect from that source.

Of course the act is cruel; I don't recall saying that it wasn't.

I disagree with you that it's "just vicious". Denning wasn't done out of blood lust.

We're all hard wired to survive; denning was done to decrease the competition for food; simple as that.

I'm glad that you finally understand though, that it was practised by the Natives...it seems that a few pages or so ago, you were denying it.

I merely stated realities.

And here's another bit of reality for you...you might want to get out your smelling salts and a box of tissues...wolves will dig out the dens of coyote pups and kill them. And they normally don't eat them after doing so. They'll kill cougar cubs as well, if they can.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-09-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
According to you, Wolfsong isn't a credible source. I guess the Washington Post isn't, either?

I don't have to convince you of anything. Living in Alaska doesn't make someone an expert on Alaskan wildlife, any more than living in the Southwest makes one an expert on rattlesnakes. Furthermore, you don't own Alaska. As long as my tax dollars support Alaska, it belongs to me and every other American as much as it belongs to you. And the way Alaskan manage Alaska wildlife impacts everyone, ecologically. So it's not just YOUR land.

As for Alaskans v. "urban liberals": For the last time (and I realize this may be news to folks from Alaska): The "lower 48" is composed of 48 states, many of which have both rural people and places, and wolves.

For the last time...it was the actions of the urban liberal fringe groups that destroyed any fighting chance that the ariel predator control program would be discontinued in AK. I know that this isn't something that you want to hear, so you have to make your snarky and silly little attempts at put downs...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No, I don't consider your "Wolfsong" to be a credible source. But I do find it rather funny that you seem to think I'm one of the people who support ariel hunting.

And no one here has claimed to be an "expert" on Alaska wildlife; but those of who who know Alaska firsthand do have a bit more knowledge of it than what you manage to scare up from Google et al. And what some of us have been trying to tell you is that the lifestyle there is highly different, that there isn't a store on every corner, and that a lot of people really do eat food that doesn't come wrapped in cellaphane.

From what I've read, you've got an anti-hunting and anti-meat stance, and you'd like to impose that on people you know nothing about. You need to realize that human beings are omnivores.

Keep it up though...keep up the shrill attacks and the bleating. You're doing exactly what the lunatic fringe wants you to do.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-09-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,644,849 times
Quote:
Oh, sanrene. Go have some hot chocolate or something.
Lol, another scintillating and razor edged wit leaps from the scabbard. At any rate, the fact remains that predator control is a necessary part of life. Whether those predators be wolves, coyotes, bears, mountain lions etc. There may be dissent on the methods used for said control but the end result will alaways be the same so whats the point? My favorite method of contoling predators is a saddle rifle. Even if I happen to miss (which I don't very often) it persuades the critter in question to seek their sustenance elsewhere. AK's methods of controlling wolves may seem cruel to some, but personally, I don't live there and therefore have no place to judge. The folks who have to deal with the wolf problem face to face are IMHO the best qualified to choose their methods and reasons for using them. There is no way that someone in some high rise apartment, or in some left wing lunatic assylum called a "university", can understand how and why folks in the wilds of AK do what they do or what they must. It's real easy to judge when one has never been there done that.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,699 times
I would just like for someone to please explain to me how these "animal lovers" think we are supposed to control the animal population. If you just let the animals multiply they will take over!

As far as the wolves being killed in Alaska...What about the Caribou? Are the wolves more important? They are killing the wolves to protect the Caribou from being eaten by them.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Quote:
Lol, another scintillating and razor edged wit leaps from the scabbard.
Very funny.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I did not mean to "insult" anyone. I find it very hard to digest, however, when people take a light-hearted and mocking attitude when it comes to cruelty to animals. I think if you were to read this thread from the beginning, you would understand what I mean.
Actually, I've found you to be fairly insulting, in this discussion as well as the other one about the same issue.

You like to imply that anyone who doesn't agree with you is not an educated person, and that your salon and wolfsong links are the last word...

I need to thank you, though. Although I agree with you on some issues, and am certainly not a Palin or an ariel predator control program supporter, your posts help me understand the disgust that some of my fellow Alaskans and others feel towards "liberals".

I'm still waiting for you to inform us all of how the wild salmon industry in AK is having a negative impact on the planet...

and if you ate meat at all, I'd personally send you some farmed salmon for your enjoyment

Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,210,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
As a dog lover, I can not stomach how people are so in "love" with Sarah Palin and can mutter the words "charm" and anything positive towards her with policies such as aerial hunting.
Please see this video and more importantly...take action...send a message to her office online (less than a minute) and forward to your friends.

150 dollars for a severed paw is what Palin proposes.
How can somebody hate animals so much...and how can people not hold her accountable.
Hey,
If you get a chance....go this site. Watch the video, send a message, and forward this to other people. Sarah Palin is a ruthless ***** and people should see the other "side" or her "charm"

Eye On Palin - Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund (http://www.eyeonpalin.org/ - broken link)

Sarah Palin is a milder version of Hitler...this is just so inhumane...and I say this as one of Jewish heritage.
Classy gal and state.

sorry, wont watch the movie as it will be biased as usual against sarah palin.

btw, if you want hitler, all you have to do is look to the current and past administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies