Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, poor people have hired others to work, it's called starting a business. It's called having just enough to buy something...a product or service that, in turn, gives a job and money to someone else(it's almost like hiring them) then that person has money to buy goods or services which gives money to someone else.
Handing someone enough money to meet their mortgage AND buy groceries keeps people in their homes...foreclosures help NO one but the banks.
IF rich people didn't put it under their mattresses(invest) then
WHERE are all the jobs?
The WEALTHY got handouts....why don't you think the poor and jobless shouldn't get handouts?????????????????????????????????????????? ????
A poor person doesn't start a business by getting a $2,000 handout. It comes up from coming up with a valid business pland and then taking a $20,000 or more loan. So loosen up credit. I'm all for that. One of the problems is the banks are not lending, I don't defend them at all. One thing I can say is Obama coming up on TV everyday and preaching gloom and doom will not encourage banks to make loans and infusion into capital is what will make jobs.
The wealthy don't get handouts, that's just the populist rhetoric that everyone complains about because it makes them feel better. There are wealthy scumbags and crooks for sure, just the same as their are poor freeloaders, crackheads, and bums.
Pass an aid package, that's OK. Temporary. Don't hide it as "stimulus".
For stimulus - cut taxes for EVERYONE. Rich and poor. Small businesses and corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And YOUR plan for getting Americans jobs is ....????????
THey have NO plan for that - it doesn't matter to them...

All that matters is opposing everything Obama does...

They still don't realize they lost the election, or why they lost...

Actually - it's quite funny when you think of it...

And 100,000 signatures on a petition of this importance is - well - a joke to say the least...

The Republicans are obstructionists without any plans of their own - but they're not totally stupid... They realize that if they are the reason for the bill's failure - and the economy continues to tank - they will be toast.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I will voting no for the stimulus bill because I don't see how tax rebates to people that payed no tax, increasing the size of government, or increasing food stamps or unemployment programs will help...
You have it backwards. Try putting food where mouth is, instead. You're a believer in Bush policies (I know there are quite a few), something that doesn't work. Not logically, much less practically. Why else do you think the job market recovery from one of the mildest of recessions (2001) took a lot longer than average? Tax cuts helps, right? Explain how.

But let me spell out the biggest problem at hand: The economy is shrinking. Businesses won't hire to grow, if you give them money assuming they will hire. I would welcome money however, but I'm much to practical minded for that stupidity. They will continue to cut back if the economy continues to shrink, and if they are smart, they will simply pocket the money. Why will they hire, again?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,908 times
I'm a signmaker by trade. I fail to see how rebuilding a bridge will give me business and help me pay the mortgage on my house that has depreciated $100,000 in the last 2 years.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
A poor person doesn't start a business by getting a $2,000 handout. It comes up from coming up with a valid business pland and then taking a $20,000 or more loan. So loosen up credit. I'm all for that. One of the problems is the banks are not lending, I don't defend them at all. One thing I can say is Obama coming up on TV everyday and preaching gloom and doom will not encourage banks to make loans and infusion into capital is what will make jobs.
The wealthy don't get handouts, that's just the populist rhetoric that everyone complains about because it makes them feel better. There are wealthy scumbags and crooks for sure, just the same as their are poor freeloaders, crackheads, and bums.
Pass an aid package, that's OK. Temporary. Don't hide it as "stimulus".
For stimulus - cut taxes for EVERYONE. Rich and poor. Small businesses and corporations.
Tried failed move on.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
I'm a signmaker by trade. I fail to see how rebuilding a bridge will give me business and help me pay the mortgage on my house that has depreciated $100,000 in the last 2 years.
Lots of signs at construction sites.Sounds like opportunity for you to get a client or two!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
You fail to see benefits because you've confined self in a small world, without understanding how the outside affects you. Expand your horizon. I won't benefit directly either, but my services are used by customers, like restaurants, who depend on customers too. And these customers happen to be those with job. Take away their job, restaurant's loses customers, their business shrinks, and they don't have as much, if at all, demand for my services. The same should apply to you.

As for your mortgages, an improved, not deteriorating, health of your business should help.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Tried failed move on.
Dude, come on, I answered this already. It did not fail. Corporate taxes have never dropped, at least not for the last generation. Personal taxes dropped and helped make the early 00's recession the shortest in history.

Now - the tax REBATES that Bush did last year (I am not a fan of his) failed. And, guess what, that is what Obama is proposing with this plan.

Guys, I know this is not the business forum. But I expect the basics of knowledge about the bill before it gets debated.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lots of signs at construction sites.Sounds like opportunity for you to get a client or two!
You're right in a way...but do you realize the competition I have to deal with?
Actually I am concerned with the plan's "infrastructure" revitalizing, as it will create some jobs but not others. What about the female receptionist who lost her job at the local real estate office? Is she to retrain to drive a backhoe?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Though I would like to see it cleaned up a bit and coupled with a withdrawal from Iraq. I figure I will go yes on this as a one time thing. Deficit spending is dangerous and I opposed both bailouts with every fiber of my being, but it seems like much of the spending in this is for useful things including some like infrustructure repair which will have to be done some time in the future anyway. I think the Bush administration put us in a dangerous position with its deficit spending and if this is expanded in the future could worsen that problem, but right some government spending needs to be done in order to prevent the economy from sliping futher into economic trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies