Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Go take a look at the bill. Seriously, read through some of the stuff this bill proposes spending money for. Tell us how many jobs are going to be created by some of the spending.
Here. I'll throw out a few of the items that I found, some by reading through the bill myself (no, I wasn't able to read all of it, but some) and others that I saw talked about on various news & information sites. You tell us how many jobs they create;

$650 million dollars for digital TV converter boxes. $90 million of that 650 is to educate vulnerable populations about the need for converter boxes. (Wouldn't they figure it out for free when their TV stopped working?)
$15 BILLION to increase the Pell Grant program.
$88 million to move the public health service to a new building. AND THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE COST OF THE BUILDING.
$1 billion to the census department.
$1.7 billion to the National Park System, for deferred maintenance.
$87 million for the Coast Guard to buy a Polar Icebreaking ship. (I thought global warming was taking care of the Polar Ice?)
$4.5 Billion to the US Army Corps of Engineers, of which over $3billion isn't allocated to any particular project but can be spent once the Corps finds a project it wants to fund.
$3.5 billion for energy efficiency and conservation block grants, and $3.4 billion for the State Energy Program. Are these not the same thing?
$8.5Billion to guarantee loans for innovative technologies.

I think that's enough for now. I'm looking forward to a listing of all the jobs this money will create.
Don't have to explain it to you, you won't listen. You are to stuck in right wing talking points. You and the GOP should just sit quiet and pretend that the Dems didn't fix your parties mess like they always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's rather humorous that some think the government actually has any say in the matter of whether we head into depression or not.
The Republicans over the last 28 years sure had enough to saywhile putting us near one.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Damn right.

The really humorous, in a scary way, part is that some people believe governance has no effect on the economy. Those people are so out to lunch it is scary.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM

220 posts, read 675,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Our ex president put us 11 trillion in debt mostly from his tax cuts on the wealthy, start there. You can thank your grand kids for paying for that tax cut.
If everyone paid as much as those so called wealthy, this country would be sitting on a $700 trillion stock pile of cash. If you want to blame someone, how about the 50% of the population that pays NO income taxes?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Take a chance at restarting the economy:
Roughly $1 Trillion
Will create millions of jobs - will it be enough to turn us in the other direction (growth)?

More tax cuts, less spending:
My guess here is this would lead to more debt than the stimulus, without the guarantee of job creation. Bush tax cuts have cost $1.6 trillion through 2008. And we want more of that if we're concerned about our debt and our children? What would the recovery time be (faster or slower than the stimulus)?

Do nothing:
???
My assumption here is massive short/medium term pain, long-term turnaround (8 years+). This is very likely to be more much expensive than the stimulus in terms of tax revenue / asset valuation as the economy continues to contract.

Of these 3, the first looks like the lowest risk (least debt accrued) to me, with the highest reward as well.

Obviously we all see things differently, but it seems like an easy choice to me.
The easiest thing is always going to have future generations pay for it...

Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons99 View Post
If everyone paid as much as those so called wealthy, this country would be sitting on a $700 trillion stock pile of cash. If you want to blame someone, how about the 50% of the population that pays NO income taxes?
Is bs all you have? The bush tax-cuts cost us roughly 11 trillion dollars over 8 years. Instead of acknowledging how much damage he did to our ability to function you resort to rhetoric! You guys have no idea how to move forward all you can do is complain about what is being done.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons99 View Post
The easiest thing is always going to have future generations pay for it...
Yeah like your tax-cut!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

- With the buy American provision all of those TV converter boxes have to be made in the US and that's factory jobs (unless you think they make themselves),
The Buy American provision has been tossed out.. Next???

So many of these things are costing the US taxpayer $200K-$300K for a $40K job, makes no sense..

Whats sad is that eventually, the economy will fix itself, at that point the Democrats will say "see, we told you the stimulus plan would work", whether what they did actually helped or not. But, they have made the govt larger with more people relying on it, so they are happy. Does nobody see the irony of the US Govt wanting to rescue us? They are perhaps the most inept organization in this country, but now they hae all of the answers..

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
There are proverbial butt loads of jobs in these things which you claim doesn't have any jobs.

With the buy American provision all of those TV converter boxes have to be made in the US and that's factory jobs (unless you think they make themselves),
No, the company makes them based on the anticipated demand. If people need them, they will buy them, with or without government assistance. This creates NO jobs.
Quote:
- Pell Grants keep kids in college which employees hundreds of thousands of people across the country and pays for itself in the long run since better educated people make more and thus pay more taxes,
The validity of Pell grants as a whole can be debated another time, but increasing the Pell funding NOW does NOT create new jobs.

Quote:
- moving government offices creates jobs (BTW you're wrong it also helps pay for the new building which also creates jobs),
What jobs are created by moving all the employees of one agency from building A to building B?

Quote:
- Someone has to count the people so that's jobs.
The census is going to happen, with or without this spending bill. The additional billion is for cost over runs, it does not anticipate a single extra hire.

Quote:
- "deferred maintenance" do you know what that means? It means someone is going to be doing a whole lot of repairs. That's jobs.
Jobs that will be done by the people who already work for the Park System. Few if any new hires will be made, and those jobs thaht are created will be temporary in nature.

Quote:
- When you build ships then you provide jobs in the ship building industry. DUH! (BTW Republicans striped this out of the bill in the senate version which is a disgusting as this would be lots of jobs from lots of suppliers)
In all honesty, I don't know how many people would wortk on building an icebreaker ship, so I guess this is possible. I put this in becasue it strikes me as a wasteful thing to be spending money on now.

Quote:
- The Army corp of Engineers builds things, you dullard. Especially things like the neglected levees which failed and flooded New Orleans causing hundreds of billions of dollars in damage. We either pay a penny of prevention or a pound of cure. I see you're a pound of cure type of guy.
Actually, I'm neither a dullard nor a pound of cure kind of guy. Yes, the Corps builds things. But this gigantic amount of money doesn't call on them to build anything or to hire anyone. It gives them the ability to save it or use it for any purpose they dream up.

Quote:
Come on man! You aren't even trying much less thinking!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Don't have to explain it to you, you won't listen. You are to stuck in right wing talking points. You and the GOP should just sit quiet and pretend that the Dems didn't fix your parties mess like they always do.
That's a cop out. I'm more than happy to listen and to be educated. If you can manage an intelligent conversation instead of this lame brush off, feel free to join in. I may not agree with him, but Oerdin has set an example you might try to follow, if you need to see what debate looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies