Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM

220 posts, read 675,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Is bs all you have? The bush tax-cuts cost us roughly 11 trillion dollars over 8 years. Instead of acknowledging how much damage he did to our ability to function you resort to rhetoric! You guys have no idea how to move forward all you can do is complain about what is being done.
Not BS at all, if those paying no income tax or actually recieving a handout were forced to start paying, we wouldn't be in the position we are. Instead or worrying about the guy paying $100K a year in income taxes, why not complain about the person paying NOTHING?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
That's a cop out. I'm more than happy to listen and to be educated. If you can manage an intelligent conversation instead of this lame brush off, feel free to join in. I may not agree with him, but Oerdin has set an example you might try to follow, if you need to see what debate looks like.
Whos copping out? you all you are doing is sticking to right wing talking points. The thread is about how you guys are out of touch and losing favor. You would think that you would have woke up after the last two elections, instead your party continues to act in the same manner that had them thrown out of the white house as well as the majority in both areas of congress. I personally love that you guys keep rambling like this it onle means good things for our country as well as the democratic party. If you want to discuss the stimulus bill there are dozens of threads doing so. I think you are coping out by trying to change the subject here!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jons99 View Post
Not BS at all, if those paying no income tax or actually recieving a handout were forced to start paying, we wouldn't be in the position we are. Instead or worrying about the guy paying $100K a year in income taxes, why not complain about the person paying NOTHING?
I know no one that is paying nothing. Sorry kind of hard for me to complain about something that I don't believe is the reason we are in this situation. I'm sure there is a few getting a free ride but there always is. All we can do is try to make sure they put in their part. I don't think thats an excuse for the top bracket to pilage our country and leave us bankrupt.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM

220 posts, read 675,245 times
According to factcheck.org, about 38% of the families that file a return have either zero or a negative tax liability.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
According to factcheck.org, about 38% of the families that file a return have either zero or a negative tax liability.
Is that your experience? Do you really believe that more than 3 out of ten people don't pay taxes, come on be serious. Do you know even one?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That's a clip from MSNBC, you know, one of those real news organizations. If you'd actually looked at the clip before you ran your mouth then you wouldn't be looking stupid right now.

Quote:
Still waiting for you to quote that personal attack.

I have a feeling though this is another one of your vacant claims though. Like (to paraphrase) "It's only youtube" followed by "I knew it was MSNBC but they're liberals" and then utter silence after it is shown the man speaking is a rightwing radio talk show host and former GOP member of Congress. And, yes, that is calling it extremely accurately.
Personal attack 101 courtesy of a lock step liberal who likes to believe his own set of facts and push them off as the truth

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM

257 posts, read 619,194 times
Quote:
The latest polls are confirming what most of us already knew. Namely that Obama has bent over backwards to try to be bipartisan while the Republicans have been deliberately being obstructionist just to be obstructionist. Almost 70% of the US population supports President Obama's stimulus plan while just 25% oppose it. Basically we're dealing with nothing more then the old Bush 30% who, right up to the very end, thought Bush was doing a great job and who really had no idea what was going on in the country. The Bush30 have been mentally out to lunch for the last 8 years so it is no wonder they continue to be out to lunch now.

The more Republicans obstruct the lower their poll numbers go. The cool thing is around 2/3rds of Americans approve of the course of action Democrats are taking but only 25% approve of what Republicans are doing. I'd say Democrats are doing the right thing while Republicans are attempting to play politics while America burns. The public knows it and this is reflected in the poll numbers. The Republicans and their nutjob followers are just deadending themselves and even Joe Scarebourough of all people admits this!
Just the opposite. Remember that Bush and both parties in Congress were pushing through about $2 trillion in bailouts and stimilus spending, which Obama also voted for. The Rockefeller owned media (who are indirectly getting a lot of this money) are presenting a slanted view of the next round of spending: $800 billion in additional spending. The conservatives who have publicly opposed all of this new spending (the 25%) were not represented or listened to at all over the last eight years, and generally view Bush as a RINO.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
Just the opposite. Remember that Bush and both parties in Congress were pushing through about $2 trillion in bailouts and stimilus spending, which Obama also voted for. The Rockefeller owned media (who are indirectly getting a lot of this money) are presenting a slanted view of the next round of spending: $800 billion in additional spending. The conservatives who have publicly opposed all of this new spending (the 25%) were not represented or listened to at all over the last eight years, and generally view Bush as a RINO.
Nice try but GOP had complete power for 6 years there was no one that could stop them from passing any thing they wanted. The left has been screaming about the economy since the first four years. Remember Arnold called us economic girly men. We saw the trend you said look at the stock market its going great and now you want to spread the blame how convenient.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
Quote:
Classic red herring argument. No one, and I mean no one, in the US pays nothing. Republicans like to pretend that the income tax is the only tax but in fact for most Americans, like 3 out of 4 Americans, their greatest tax burden isn't income taxes but instead is payroll taxes. Payroll taxes are also a horribly regressive tax because after $100,000 in income you stop paying pay roll taxes that means people making less then $100,000 per year pay those taxes on 100% of their income while the wealthy pay it only on a portion, often a small portion, of their income.

Giving the middle class a tax cut really is the best thing we can do for the economy because they're the most likely to spend it and thus stimulate new economic activity while, as we have repeatedly seen in the past, tax cuts for millionaires normally get saved often in foreign accounts so that doesn't stimulate much new economic activity here in the US.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
[/b]

Personal attack 101 courtesy of a lock step liberal who likes to believe his own set of facts and push them off as the truth
Saying if you actually thought before responding then you wouldn't be looking stupid right now isn't a personal attack. That was simply a statement of fact. This is evidenced by no less then five other posters correcting your misstatement. I'm sure it hurt your poor little feelings to have the obvious told to you but it was entirely factual and not a personal attack. Think of it as free advise, think before you speak.

Also there is no such thing as different sets of facts for different people. We all deal with the same facts but some people like to ignore facts which don't fit their political ideology. I enjoy rubbing those facts in people's faces so that they are forced to deal with reality; I.E. facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies