Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Funding is not the primary issue. Responsibility is.

Hold teachers accountable. Pay them according to their performance.

Throwing money at the situation is NOT GOING TO IMPROVE education.

and where did I say throwing money at the problem was going to help You're taking what I said out of context and is NOT related to what the issue is with the performance of schools now.

BUt. if you think that funding isn't important..boy are you wrong. Schools that have inadequate funding can not purchase the proper books, can not attract staff..etc.

As for Informed Consent...

DUMBING down may be happenning to SOME schools... but tht is on LOCAL levels.. This is a national board discussing NATIONAL political issues.. NOT regional.

My edcuation was public and wasn't dumbed down AT ALL .. there were various level of challenges available as I demonstratd by the example of the public education I've recieved.

If I could honestly believe that admittance into the "best" schools would be determined by performance and actually "earning" it.. I would be fine with it.. HOwever.. we all know that in this country people do not always EARN what they get, but rather have it handed to them or better yet have it bought for them. The almighty dollar rules the day and I can guarantee you that Child A from a wealthy family who slacks off in school vs. Child B who is from a middle income family who works and excels at school will get that slot in the "best school" because Mommy & Daddy lined hte pockets of that PRIVATE institution whose concerned with PROFIT!

Fix and address the issues in the public school system that may be ocurring in YOUR local area and what can be done on a FEDERAL level to improve education should be done.. but privitization is a dangerous proposition. While i believe you think the intentions of performance based placement is good.. that is NOT what is going to happen.

Money talks in this country.. those with it get things wether they deserve them or not and those that do not have money don't always get what is due to them for their hard work.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Public v Private? I wonder the ratio of kids going on to college.

The rate of those going to college from private school IS higher.. HOWEVER.. that can be correlated to the families level of income and ability to PAY for college education! And it is demonstrated in the areas I've linked to.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, let me get this straight. You're basing your argument that public and private schools teach the same curriculum on the experience of people who live on one residential block, and extrapolating that to the rest of the country?

Not one residential block.. one COMMUNITY!! I only SAID block ot demonstrate that my neighbor went to a catholic private school..

The difference.. . she studied Catholic Ideology.. I wasn't taught any religion in my school.

We both had Sequential Math, World History, english (read the same books too) etc.

and I knew others who went to other various private schools besides the one my neighbor went to.. same story..

Then again.. LI public education is some of the best schools in the country.

Again.. it's all REGIONAL.. NOT National.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hate public education? I tend to hate things that don't work and trillions have been thrown at it as well as new regulations and such.. guess what? They STILL don't work.... I hate to keep throwing trillions of dollars at a solution that DOES NOT work... its time for a new strategy but unfortunately nobody got the balls to do it right... oh well.... but then you get leftist ideology that says "Continue the course, even if its been ending in failure.".... I don't get them sometimes...
Nowhere did I..who is accused of being on the "left" say anything about STAYING THE COURSE that's not working.. don't put WORDS in my mouth..

I DO believe we need change.. but we do not need to obliterate public education for a privatized for profit system!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Nowhere did I..who is accused of being on the "left" say anything about STAYING THE COURSE that's not working.. don't put WORDS in my mouth..

I DO believe we need change.. but we do not need to obliterate public education for a privatized for profit system!
I didn't say that you said it... I said that lefties say it... therefore I didn't put words in your mouth... You are not "obliterating" public education, you are transforming it into a private education... and you do NOT pay more for it... but you do make the school completely accountable to you and not the government cause you hold the power, not the government... if the government holds the power, the school could give a rats ass about you... seriously...

Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I didn't say that you said it... I said that lefties say it... therefore I didn't put words in your mouth... You are not "obliterating" public education, you are transforming it into a private education... and you do NOT pay more for it... but you do make the school completely accountable to you and not the government cause you hold the power, not the government... if the government holds the power, the school could give a rats ass about you... seriously...

Okay.. I apologize.

However.. I don't trust privitization. ..as they are ruled by profit.. and those with the money will be those that get into a Private instituation.

And.. I do strongly believe that public education IS accountable to the people..just as the government is accountable to it's people. To say that they are not is to diminish your role as a citizen and say that your votes are worthless and your voice means nothing.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Okay.. I apologize.

However.. I don't trust privitization. ..as they are ruled by profit.. and those with the money will be those that get into a Private instituation.

And.. I do strongly believe that public education IS accountable to the people..just as the government is accountable to it's people. To say that they are not is to diminish your role as a citizen and say that your votes are worthless and your voice means nothing.
Sorry to tell you this, but when your kid is in public education, their payroll is not really dependent on "just you"... however in private education, their payroll is very much dependent on "just you"... you have much more say in private enterprises than public institutions... if you threaten an employee about going to their manager at a public institution, they could care less... do that at a private company, and they will be scared... I know, I have tried it...

I completely understand the distrust with privatization... they are ruled by profit... now think about this... how do they gain profit? They have to enroll more students... would you enroll your kids in an underperforming school? No, you wouldn't... therefore, their curriculum has to be top-notch to get your kid to go there... you win, your kid wins, and the school wins... and any underperforming school has to be force to perform better...

You brought up an important point that kids with wealthy parents will get into private institutions... now here is what is happening right now.. kids with wealthy parents are getting into these private institution already... nothing has really changed... so your fear of that is really pointless because its already happening... You might say, okay, with privatization, my kids goes to a BETTER school BUT I don't want to pay for wealthy kids to go to even better schools... that problem is EASILY fixed... and I do mean EASILY... so easy its unbelievable... so there you have it... you transform public schools to private schools (at ZERO cost to you) that has to teach better to get more money (at ZERO cost to you) and you do NOT subsidize wealthy kids education... not only that... you reduce bureaucracy... no more wasting billions of dollars every year (trillions if you think into the future)... and what do you get, better educated students... you win every time... of course there has to be regulations... we aren't talking zero regulations and the power is in YOUR hands... completely...

Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,533,188 times
Conservatives don't oppose education. Many of us do see the public education apparatus as extremely liberal. Cases in point:

1) Most of the teachers are union. The NEA and VEA officially are pro-Democrat.

2) My daughter was given an assignment last year during Black History Month to do a biography on a prominent and influential black from a given list. Among the names: Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barack Obama, Malcolm X, MLK, Maxine Waters, and Shirley Chisholm. Nowhere on the list was the highest ranking black female in our government's history, Condoleeza Rice, or the lone black Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas.

3) On Channel 1, the school news channel, the kids have been consistently drummed by liberal themes: the war is bad, Obama is special, global warming is real and man-made, the bad economy is the fault of corporate greed and capitalism-gone-wrong.

4) The schools can't use the word "Christmas". December 25 is the Christian holiday, yet you can't refer to it by the name assigned to it by Christians.
(Side story. When my kids attended city schools, the word "Christmas" couldn't be used, but when they returned from the holiday break, the class was studying the ridiculous "Kwanzaa" and each student was asked to light one of the candles each day. You better believe I was in the principal's office in a heartbeat. I told her if my baby can't talk about Christmas, ain't no way she was lighting a damn Kwanzaa candle.

5) Back to the global warming hoax; An earlier poster in here made the laughable comment that conservatives were against critical thinking. I always understood science to be interested in only one thing: discovery of the truth. There is so much disagreement about the causes and even the existence of global warmning, I could never understand why in science classes, my kids were always taught that manmade global warming is an absolute. There aren't too many absolutes in science, but by God the unproven global warming was one of them.

6) In my son's government class, video was shown of Tina Fey ridiculing Sarah Palin. The teacher, a Democrat activist made it clear that Palin was unqualified to be president, (even though she wasn't running for that job) echoing the media. Always left unmentioned was that Obama, who WAS running for president, wasn't as qualified as Palin for president, again even though she was the VEEP candidate.

7) And finally, when Obama came to town, fully a third of the teachers from my daughter's school left school to attend the rally. The city schools sent taxpayer-funded school buses. When Sarah Palin came, a few weeks later, there was almost no mention of the event, even though Palin drew about 7,000 more than Obama.

I'm just getting warmed up, but this gives you the idea of why conservatives distrust the motives of Big Education.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
As for Informed Consent...

DUMBING down may be happenning to SOME schools... but tht is on LOCAL levels.. This is a national board discussing NATIONAL political issues.. NOT regional.
Then you're going to have to explain why BOTH the SAT and the ACT had to be recentered to adjust for consistently declining scores from all over the NATION. And why the studies cited in The Other Crisis in American Education have found significant achievement drops in the top- and mid-level students throughout the NATION.

Quote:
My edcuation was public and wasn't dumbed down AT ALL
How do you know that?

Quote:
Fix and address the issues in the public school system that may be ocurring in YOUR local area and what can be done on a FEDERAL level to improve education should be done.. but privitization is a dangerous proposition. While i believe you think the intentions of performance based placement is good.. that is NOT what is going to happen.
How do you know that? School choice, public and private, seems to work well for other countries, like Germany.

Quote:
Money talks in this country.. those with it get things wether they deserve them or not and those that do not have money don't always get what is due to them for their hard work.
And you want to preserve that by TRAPPING students in the public schools that are undereducating them - KEEPING them down, KEEPING them from being able to compete with those who had access to a better education. Way to go... you're an oppressor.
Did you even bother to read the article I linked about the rise of the meritocracy in India? What's happening there is the exact opposite of what you assert. Their entrenched elite class is disappearing.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:18 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Who said anything about obliterate? Provide a choice - either a public school if it fits your needs, or a private school if they offer a curriculum and educational level that would better fit your needs. Works for Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies