Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh - got it! I'm right there with you!

Okay, you lost me on that because now you're right back in the money pit, er black hole.
This goes along with my beliefs in general....every state should have an agency/department that combs through every other state and local government agency's budgets and idenitfy any unnecessary spending and cut it. All of the information should be readily available to the public.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
There are kids who have the potential of being "rocket scientists".

There are kids who, unfortunately, will not make past grade school.

What is wrong with grouping children of like intelligence together??

Old 02-15-2009, 05:15 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
And where exactly in the country did this "mixing" occur. .
I thought non-tracked classes were pretty much standard nationwide. According to the analysis...
"The other key factor in preserving academic quality was the practice of grouping students by ability in as many subjects as possible The contrast was stark: schools that had "severely declining test scores" had "moved determinedly toward heterogeneous grouping" (that is, mixed students of differing ability levels in the same classes), while the "schools who have maintained good SAT scores" tended "to prefer homogeneous grouping."

It's reasonable to conclude that since the SAT had to be recentered about 100 or so points, the decline was widespread.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
did you know what goes on in a public school.
did you know how many unreported assaults, some of them sexual, there are on teachers not to mention kids. did you know the welfare staff is full of credentialed teachers here? 40% of public school teachers send their kids to private school.
voucher, the sooner the better.
signed
a liberal

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-15-2009 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
You think public schools aren't about the money??? They suck money like a mosquito sucks blood - relentlessly. I'll give you two quotes from school board members in a newspaper article I posted earlier in this thread...

"We're spending more money, and it's not getting us better performance," said Tim Millar, school board president in Palatine Township Elementary District 15, who campaigned on a taxpayer platform. "The culture is to talk about lack of money rather than return on investment. It's really frightening."

"The system is not efficient, and it's anything but high-quality," said Chris Jenner, a school board member at Cary Elementary District 26.
Jenner is part of an informal group of a dozen suburban school board members who meet occasionally to talk shop, and believe the public school system in Illinois is fundamentally flawed.
"The complete and utter focus is on funding, not on how the money's spent, but on getting more money," Jenner said. "People should be outraged."
Daily Herald | Chapter 10: Only 1 in 5 high school graduates are ready for college

That's because..as i stated earlier.. it's NOT about MONEY.. it's about CURRICULUM And METHODS of teaching.. NOT about how much money is sued to teach the old way of teaching!!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I thought non-tracked classes were pretty much standard nationwide. According to the analysis...
"The other key factor in preserving academic quality was the practice of grouping students by ability in as many subjects as possible The contrast was stark: schools that had "severely declining test scores" had "moved determinedly toward heterogeneous grouping" (that is, mixed students of differing ability levels in the same classes), while the "schools who have maintained good SAT scores" tended "to prefer homogeneous grouping."

It's reasonable to conclude that since the SAT had to be recentered about 100 or so points, the decline was widespread.

Again.. it's a school to school thing.

those that had the ability in my high school of high scores and were academic achievers had the option of taking AP classes , or classes that were harder, more in depth and that gave them college credits while earning their H.S diploma. Then there was the Regents diploma classes.. which were harder and more in depth than the general diploma.

So my school mixed .. in the sense that there were all types of achievers in the school... BUT in the classrooms not so much.

And just because some kids couldn't pass the regents courses didn't mean the rest of us were flunking in it OR that the material was made easier. If they didn't cut it they didn't cut it.

AS for the SAT scores being lower across the board.. again.. i believe that is more attributable to the shift in everyones home life in general and our culture and priorities of our teenagers today more so than on the fault of public education.. as I mention in an earlier post.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
That's because..as i stated earlier.. it's NOT about MONEY..
Teachers Unions - including the NEA, strongly disagree with you. They say, "it's the money"

Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
did you know what goes on in a public school.
did you know how many unreported assaults, some of them sexual, there are on teachers not to mention kids. did you know the welfare staff is full of credentialed teachers here? 40% of public school teachers send their kids to private school.
voucher, the sooner the better.
signed
a liberal

That is a school to school issue. .NOT a national issue.. My school was perfectly safe.. no incidents.. and i felt completely safe. It all depends on where you are and the safety issue needs to be addressed on a school to school district to district level.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
That is a school to school issue. .NOT a national issue.. My school was perfectly safe.. no incidents.. .
And, how long ago was that?

How about now? Any drugs in "your" school? How about assaults? Knives?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Teachers Unions - including the NEA, strongly disagree with you. They say, "it's the money"

Wel.. I believe they are wrong.

And I don't particularly like teacher's unions.. I thnk they are part of trhe problem.. as is tenure and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies