Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM

73 posts, read 187,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The government-run program called TARP, was implemented precisely for private sector people who ran their own banking businesses--right into the ground.

You werer saying ...?

I see that you have been reading your liberal newsletter on the banking collapse.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
I didn't say money. I said value. We can throw money at anything. It doesn't mean that we value it.

So I'll say it again; we, as a society, don't value educating our kids--all of them--as much as we value less important things.
I see. Yes, that's true... some people don't value education. But others do, and they're trying to get/provide access to better educational options. But the anti-choice crowd wants to keep them trapped in the public schools that are undereducating them, and have no interest whatsoever in improving their academic rigor.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The government-run program called TARP, was implemented precisely for private sector people who ran their own banking businesses--right into the ground.

You werer saying ...?
Did they do it all by themselves? Or would it have to do with defaulting loans?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did they do it all by themselves? Or would it have to do with defaulting loans?
Without veering too far off the subject ...

Yes, those private sector businessmen and women did it to themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing; they were aware of all of the risks involved with loose lending; and they concluded that the risks were worth the rewards. And now--by begging the governement to bail them out of the mess they've created--they're showing us just how much business acumen they possess.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I see. Yes, that's true... some people don't value education. But others do, and they're trying to get/provide access to better educational options. But the anti-choice crowd wants to keep them trapped in the public schools that are undereducating them, and have no interest whatsoever in improving their academic rigor.
You keep referencing "choice". You also don't believe that there's a correlation between funding and results. Presumably, you also believe that the private sector can educate better than government. Therefore, it's pretty clear that you don't want government meddling (read: funding) in education whatsoever. You certainly don't want government meddling in the affairs of private school, right?

So with that out of the way, what kind of "choice" did you have in mind?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Without veering too far off the subject ...

Yes, those private sector businessmen and women did it to themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing; they were aware of all of the risks involved with loose lending; and they concluded that the risks were worth the rewards. And now--by begging the governement to bail them out of the mess they've created--they're showing us just how much business acumen they possess.
Where did banks get the idea that they could loosen lending standards?
Bill Clinton's drive to increase homeownership went way too far - BusinessWeek
Note: Clinton and Bush had a hand in this.

SSRN-The Subprime Crisis: Cause, Effect and Consequences by R. Whalen
SSRN-The Consequences of Mortgage Credit Expansion: Evidence from the U.S. Mortgage Default Crisis by Atif Mian, Amir Sufi

Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You keep referencing "choice". You also don't believe that there's a correlation between funding and results. Presumably, you also believe that the private sector can educate better than government. Therefore, it's pretty clear that you don't want government meddling (read: funding) in education whatsoever. You certainly don't want government meddling in the affairs of private school, right?

The choice to choose a school that would better meet a student's educational needs, be that public or private, therefore using school tax money more effectively and efficiently.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Let me see if I can steer this back on topic. If government is the problem--in education, banking regulation, whatever--why would those who advocate private school continue to rely on them?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

You haven't read this thread very carefully if you have concluded that I think the private sector can educate better than government. I have continuously advocated for choice - public or private. It's impossible to create a blanket statement as to which choice will better meet each student's educational need. That would depend on the student.

I do, however, believe that public schools are undereducating a lot of students. Our students do lag the rest of the industrialized world despite the fact that we spend more money on education than just about everyone else, don't they?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The choice to choose a school that would better meet a student's educational needs, be that public or private, therefore using school tax money more effectively and efficiently.
So you want education without government meddling ... but you want the government's money to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies