Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
I think Joe the Plumber has A LOT TO DO WITH THIS THREAD.

He spoke at an Obama-fest as did Ms. Queenforaday. His background was then looked into (understatement of the year). Now we are getting a brief glimpse into Queenforaday's.

Quick question: Is her grown son disabled? And another question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
If you had $800 would you live in a car and pay insurance or take low cost housing?
I have been there and done that.
//www.city-data.com/forum/group...-homeless.html
we lived in our van for over a year, we (my wife and I) I am disabled. nobody wanted to hire my wife because we did not have a permanent address. you try living on even $1,000.00 or less per month. housing? low income housing? been there, done that. housing complexes are riddled with drug users and sellers. we had low income housing til our apartment was broken into and some items of value to us were stolen. we moved out and opted for the state parks and national forests. many don't or didn't have it as good as us, many live in their cars in city parks or on the streets. so, don't tell me how it is, we know from first hand experience. and screw joe the plumber, at least he has/had a roof over his head, when we did not.
and this queen for a day cliche', I don't like it. if this is how one of society's human beings is viewed, we'll wait until these people with these perceprtions become homeless and needy, and then we'll be wearing the "other face".

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 02-18-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
what people think? you live in your car, you're allowed disability insurance, and people think, oh, well, what could one possible be spending all of that disability check on? food, eating restuarant food 3 times a day, if you're lucky. this costs alot of money. you can't cook your meals in your car. motel stays. what? that's right, you do have to bathe. gasoline? that's right. you have to keep warm at night, idling a car engine can use lots of gasoline, and with the prices of gas lately.....yeah, it's not cheap living on the streets. many people don't know this but in the year 2008, there were a record number of homeless veterans. that's right, homeless vets, you know, the guys that protected our freedoms. so, if you think it's easy living on the streets, think again. and I have heard this too: people are only homeless because they want to be. a true lie. I did not mention doctor bills, prescription medicines, and other things that a human being needs just to survive. so, if people think it's so easy to live, be it low income housing, or in your own car/vehicle, think again.
I cannot answer for this homeless woman's son, maybe some of you can do some investigative work of your own to find out why he may be derelict or malingering, I'm not an investigator.
food: 10 bucks a day for 1, x 30 days=$300.00 as an example.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 02-18-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
However, a local organization is coming forward saying Hughes isn't being honest about how much help she's had in the past.

The director of We Care Outreach Ministry, Tanya Johnson, says just last month she offered Henrietta Hughes permanent housing and a place to stay free for three months, but Hughes refused.

"We would have allowed her to stay for the first 90 days, no income. You know free," said Tanya Johnson.
While I am sure the offer was genuine and and in good faith lets just say that many religious organizations do put strings on their help (requiring people to attend church even if they are a different religion, forcing them to listen to conversion pitches, etc...). True, help doesn't usually come without strings attached but a government program which doesn't push religion would be preferable for a lot of people including those of us who are relatively well off and won't need such help.

Maybe that is not as accepting of religion as some would like but that is honestly how I feel and I know I am not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies