Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The point I am trying to make is really this....it would be great if CEOs would take ownership of their corporations and voluntarily suspend and/or cut their pay and bonuses but to make them? That to me is a little too much like a little thing called the cultural revolution. I don't think we want to go there!
Besides, if you want to talk unbridled greed lets talk about the politicians. Our senators and congressmen make far more then the average American -- and worse still they are making it on our backs! Furthermore, lobbyists who attempt to bribe our politicians into seeing things their way tend to be rich little bastards themselves.

Yeah.. well they had their opportunity. .and they've shown us that they are incapable of doing the right thing or even the best thing. When left to run without regulation or restrictions they rape the economy and the rest of us.

It's shameful and disgusting. They are only motivated by their own greed!!

So.. as our governing body, I look to the government to babysit them.. because they have proven that they can't operate with it!!!

I mean. come on...they are sitting in their mansions while htem iddle man, their workers , are loosing everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. well they had their opportunity. .and they've shown us that they are incapable of doing the right thing or even the best thing. When left to run without regulation or restrictions they rape the economy and the rest of us.

It's shameful and disgusting. They are only motivated by their own greed!!

So.. as our governing body, I look to the government to babysit them.. because they have proven that they can't operate with it!!!

I mean. come on...they are sitting in their mansions while htem iddle man, their workers , are loosing everything.
And yet still you give a pass to the rich as croasis politicians. Nancy Pelosi is a millionaire in her own right yet she still collects a paycheck for being a senator -- on our dime! She could easily purchase her own private jet, yet she uses one paid for by the taxpayers. By your logic, Pelosi should voluntarily take a huge cut in pay due to her existing wealth -- and you have to admit, ceos do not even pretend to be 'public servants' a phrase which comes out of politicians mouths quite regularily.

**I use Pelosi as an example, but she is not unique in being an incredibly wealthy 'public servant' who still collects from the public till.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And yet still you give a pass to the rich as croasis politicians. Nancy Pelosi is a millionaire in her own right yet she still collects a paycheck for being a senator -- on our dime! She could easily purchase her own private jet, yet she uses one paid for by the taxpayers. By your logic, Pelosi should voluntarily take a huge cut in pay due to her existing wealth -- and you have to admit, ceos do not even pretend to be 'public servants' a phrase which comes out of politicians mouths quite regularily.

**I use Pelosi as an example, but she is not unique in being an incredibly wealthy 'public servant' who still collects from the public till.

And where did i ever say I approve or dissapprove of rich Politicians..

First off.. I already said in a previous post the only politicians that should be allowed to fly in a private Jet are the president and VP.

I have no idea how much Pelosi makes as a civil servent. They do have the right to make a salary and be compensated. Pres makes what $500K a year.. and the average CEO more than 2x's that plus bonuses.

Yes.. most politicians are rich.. most politicians are aslo highly educated, make six figures .. and we all know once you get past a certain threshold of income your money makes money in investments. Damn right. if she wants to fly in a private jet she should buy her own because she has the means. I doubt they make as much as the pres does (I hope not) and that salary is NOT obscene.. it's a great salary but again NOT obscene.

2007 Trends in CEO Pay
The chief executive officers of large U.S. companies averaged $10.8 million in total compensation in 2006, more than 364 times the pay of the average U.S. worker, according to the latest survey by the United for a Fair Economy.

I think it's safe to say that the President, who bears a huge burden of responsibility for the entire nation, makes significantly less than a CEO and there is nothing obscene about his salary.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
The Los Angeles Dodgers are a business. They offered Manny Rameriez $25 million for one season. He turned it down. Not enough.

Pro Athletes pay taxes - they are "tax payers". Why shouldn't they have their compensation limited?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Some complain about corporate jets - Why?

Time is money. If a member of a major business needs to be in 3 cities in one day - the most efficient way to do it is with their own aircraft. They travel on their own schedule - not some airlines schedule.

Business is conducted on those jets as well - meetings / planning goes on.

Those who rail against the business having their own transportation, don't understand what really goes on.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The Los Angeles Dodgers are a business. They offered Manny Rameriez $25 million for one season. He turned it down. Not enough.

Pro Athletes pay taxes - they are "tax payers". Why shouldn't they have their compensation limited?

And where did I say they shouldn't.. it's insane!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:02 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Here is a simpler way to fix the economy: the answer is "pork," but not as much pork as Bush, Obama, and Congress have created. This figure has already reached over $1-trillion, I believe. So, all Bush, Obama, and Congress had to do was to arrange for every American to receive $1-million, tax free. The total pork would have been a figure between 300 and 400-million, not a trillion as it is now.

This way home owners (not the super rich of course) could have paid their mortgages, and bought a car or two, killing two birds with one stone: the housing problem, and the automobile industry problem.
Brillant, and "double-brilliant" because you specified Tax-free. If not, between federal income tax, State income tax, sales tax, property tax, gas tax, excise, gift tax, inheritance tax, etc. I would end up with less than I have now.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
And where did I say they shouldn't.. it's insane!!!
By who's standards is it insane TM? Yours? Mine? The guy next door?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
By who's standards is it insane TM? Yours? Mine? The guy next door?

Give me a freakin break GD!

That's more money in one year than most of us will see or even need in a flipping lifetime. IT's excessive.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,516,684 times
Here is a way to fix the economy

1) round up the illlegals and deport them. This takes a huge burden off the healthcare system
2) Get the many (not all) on welfare and take these benefits away. Make them actually work for a living
3) Lower taxes on all businesses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies