Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You're calling Bush God?
Well, we know Bush wasn't Jesus.

Jesus worked for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think george bush did a fantastic job on the american people
signed
nikita kruschev

Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
He didn't do any worse than anyone else, although I think he could have done better & was very disappointed. He didn't spend 8 Billion his first month though & he didn't have the most expensive inaguration in history. He didn't have half a dozen appointees drop out because they forgot to pay taxes either.
All in all I think its pretty obvious that while Bush's incompetency cost us alot, Obamas policies will dwarf his & deepen our debt by a long shot.
I'v never before heard of borrowing as responsible way to reduce debt, must be the new math.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I think Bush was doing a good job up until he decided to invade Iraq. It went nowhere but downhill after that.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think Bush was doing a good job up until he decided to invade Iraq. It went nowhere but downhill after that.
That was basically his whole presidency!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Republican here....

I think he did a pretty poor job as president. Granted, not many presidents have to face stuff like 9/11 and Katrina, which were out of his personal control. Not to mention, I think some of the bashing he received was quite harsh and rather unfair. But.... he and the Republican controlled congress failed to stop this economic mess, haven't done a great job with Iraq, did relatively little to stop illegal immigration, and still have not caught Osama Bin Laden. On the plus side, he has done great things in Africa, and most of all (even though it is always overlooked), we were not attacked at home a second time in his presidency. So I guess if I had to give him a grade as a president, it would be about a 'C."
The events of 9/11 and Katrina were out of his control but his response to them was not.

For GW to have used the tragedy of 9/11 to avenge his father (Saddam) by waging an unjustifiable war and costing thousands of US and int'l solider's lives was unforgiveable.

The lack of response to the Katrina victims was also unforgiveable. The US got to Phuket Thailand faster than we reached New Orleans. How was that possible?

GW lacked the foresight and depth of intellect that is a base requirement of a US President. The Republican party stuck its head in the sand and pleaded blind allegiance. Then, without offering a viable successor, decide to insult, ridicule and attempt to teardown the leader that America has chosen to lead us out of the tragedy of the last 8 years. Pathetic.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
It could have been a lot better if he actually acted like a conservative. I was fine with his first term overall, but the second was well under par.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The events of 9/11 and Katrina were out of his control but his response to them was not.

For GW to have used the tragedy of 9/11 to avenge his father (Saddam) by waging an unjustifiable war and costing thousands of US and int'l solider's lives was unforgiveable.

The lack of response to the Katrina victims was also unforgiveable. The US got to Phuket Thailand faster than we reached New Orleans. How was that possible?

GW lacked the foresight and depth of intellect that is a base requirement of a US President. The Republican party stuck its head in the sand and pleaded blind allegiance. Then, without offering a viable successor, decide to insult, ridicule and attempt to teardown the leader that America has chosen to lead us out of the tragedy of the last 8 years. Pathetic.
Excellent Response!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Why is everything his fault? Amazing in Katrina you over look the mayor of New Orleans or any other state official.

The Iraq war I pin on Rumsfield and Cheney pushing it and presenting certain info to the president. President Bush made poor choices in the people he put around him.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I know that there are alot of opinions on who is right. Now i'm seeing alot of Obama bashers after ONLY 30 days in office. Now considering all that has transpired in 8 years shouldn't we give this guy a fair chance? Lets hear from the conservatives/republicans what they thought about the previous president and specifically how you "HONESTLY" think he did.
Nothing is monolithic. GWB did some things well and some things not so well. He made some mistakes. No one ever said he was perfect, but he certainly wasn't anything close to the villain that he's portrayed as by partisan liberals.

It's 7.5 years since the 9/11/01 attacks and we have not been hit again on our soil. That's not a coincidence. It's taken the hard work of many people, but the leadership came from the President.

Spending was significantly increased under GWB and entitlements were expanded and not reduced, which has led us back in the wrong direction. Despite the incorrect characterization of liberals, the fiscal tax policy under GWB was actually quite helpful in restarting our economy after the dot com bust and the 9/11 attacks. The problem is that we increased spending at a much higher rate than necessary, and the war hasn't been cheap.

I do think that GWB was 100% correct to treat the 9/11 attacks as a war and not a civil police matter, and he made it clear via the Bush doctrine that we would not sit by while other countries threatened us or aided terrorists. I believe the strategy for the war on terror and the war in Iraq were correct, but the tactics were flawed. We should have gone in much stronger in Afghanistan (and Iraq) and not tried to outsource the job in Afghanistan to locals who let UBL get away. Had we had the 10th Mountain Div and Army Rangers in force at Tora Bora, I believe we would have killed or captured him. We tried to do the politically correct and sensitive thing and it backfired on us big time. The moral of the story is that you can't fight a politically correct war. We should have learned that from Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies