Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,030 times

Advertisements

This is from a local NC newspaper:

SMITHFIELD - Johnston County's first dual language immersion program will start this fall with a pilot English-Spanish program at Selma Elementary School.
The Johnston County school board approved the program Thursday.

The program would start with two kindergarten classes and add grades each successive year. About 20 Spanish-speaking students and 20 English-speaking students would participate in each grade level. Students would take half of their classes in English and half in Spanish.

School board members said they hoped it would be the first step to making foreign language accessible to all students in the county in the earlier grades.

"All studies indicate when you start early, children learn faster and retain [languages] longer," said board member Kay Carroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,161,394 times
I think it's ok to learn other languages, but - It should be a CHOICE, not MANDATORY. This is ridiculus......

Old 03-21-2007, 04:30 PM

146 posts, read 571,965 times
Smile Speak English already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
This is from a local NC newspaper:

SMITHFIELD - Johnston County's first dual language immersion program will start this fall with a pilot English-Spanish program at Selma Elementary School.

The program would start with two kindergarten classes and add grades each successive year. About 20 Spanish-speaking students and 20 English-speaking students would participate in each grade level. Students would take half of their classes in English and half in Spanish.

School board members said they hoped it would be the first step to making foreign language accessible to all students in the county in the earlier grades.

"All studies indicate when you start early, children learn faster and retain [languages] longer," said board member Kay Carroll.

Foregin languages? Only Spanish is being offered. Where's the Japanese, German, Latin? French anyone? Arabic or Chinese?

Anyone with half a brain knows this little language program in NC isn't about learning languages; it's about inculcating the general public with the notion that Spanish is an acceptable form public communication.

Language can unite or divide. English is being challenged as the language of the US and citizens should start taking action.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:57 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
Default What's wrong with kids learning Spanish?

I think this is a great idea. It's easy for kids to learn a foreign language if they learn early. I grew up in a town full of French Canadians, and I had French class every day from Kindergarden to 5th grade. Plus, Spanish-speaking kids would have a chance to learn (and practice) English.

The world is getting smaller. Lots of people around the world speak 3 or 4 languages, why can't American kids learn 2?

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 03-21-2007 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-21-2007, 07:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,030 times
Default no choice

That fact that no one has a choice is whats wrong with it. This isnt Mexico but they are trying to turn it into one....

Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
I totally agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Foregin languages? Only Spanish is being offered. Where's the Japanese, German, Latin? French anyone? Arabic or Chinese?

Anyone with half a brain knows this little language program in NC isn't about learning languages; it's about inculcating the general public with the notion that Spanish is an acceptable form public communication.

Language can unite or divide. English is being challenged as the language of the US and citizens should start taking action.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
I think this is a great idea. It's easy for kids to learn a foreign language if they learn early. I grew up in a town full of French Canadians, and I had French class every day from Kindergarden to 5th grade. Plus, Spanish-speaking kids would have a chance to learn (and practice) English.

The world is getting smaller. Lots of people around the world speak 3 or 4 languages, why can't American kids learn 2?
If American children are to learn a second language, it shouldn't be forcibly taught. Why Spanish? Why not Italian, German, French, Gaelic, or Mandrin Chinese?

I'll tell you why. Because we don't have wide open borders with countries speaking any of those languages. Neither do we have the very real possibility of Americans becoming the minority in their own country, completely taken over by the Swiss, or Ethiopians, or the Irish. Our porous borders with Mexico and the "Decider's" determination to force feed illegal immigration to American citizens whether they want it or not, is what has determined that these school children will learn Spanish, so that Americans can be assimilated instead of the other way around. This is no altruistic ideal that children should learn a second language. It's preparation for the complete and total erasure of our borders, and the end of the United States of America and her culture, as we know it.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,088,730 times
It's difficult to comprehend this happening in America. It cannot be forced and parents should take their kids out of that school/county. The main language in the world is ENGLISH for a long time now and this is what is also spoken in AMERICA! Spanish is not the majority of America and need not be spoken. In Calif. our governor is upset that Hispanics are not assimulating as other foreigners have done for 200 years.
In L.A. where there are millions of illegals and hispanics, the schools taught/teach English to hispanics but have never ever had classes to force Americans to learn Spanish. A second language class is very limited and optional in elementary/high schools, anyway.

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,062 times
If you don't like it put your kids in private school.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
What in the hell is this country DOING???!!!
I thought the post was going to say that spanish kids were being forced to learn/speak ENGLISH!!!!!!!
I was going to say HALLELUJAH!!!!!
If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered to read this thread because now my blood is boiling & I have to breathe...
NO ONE should HAVE to speak/learn spanish! EVER!!!!!
This is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
Language ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!
Comprende?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies