Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I just wonder... If I go to Cuba will I hear more English than I do in Miami?

Yes, you will...Everyone in Cuba in taught English in school. Mind you..This is not something new..In Cuba, the English language has always been taught even before Castro came into power 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Today I heard that whatever was signed and now Cubans can come and go to see their relatives in Cuba as they please. Don't have to wait to do it every 3 years.

Suppose you are Cuban born, came to the US way back when (really long time ago) and are a US citizen. Is that any different?

I was told that if you came to the States pre 1970 something, you don't need a Cuban passport and just go with the US passport. You do have to go through a 3rd country however.

I was told that if you came to the States pre 1970 something, you don't need a Cuban passport and just go with the US passport. You do have to go through a 3rd country however.

So........can Americans come and go too?

(I know I should know these answers but if I did I wouldn't be asking here).

The law States...That any Cuban Born in Cuba do not need to wait the three years anymore...they can go once a year again like it was before Bush changed it back in 2004. Now is even easier...you buy a Visa only once, you get your American passaport or cuban passapor stamped and with that one time visa you can travel to cuba once a year.

No difference..you were still born in Cuba and just became naturalized as an American citizen.

Correct, if you came to the USA before 1980...you do not need a Cuban Passaport, if you came after the 1980's, then you need to travel to cuba with both passaports, with the cuban passport and your American Passaport...with the new law you do not need to go thru a third country which is illegal.

Now you can also bring 2 suitcases with up to 70 pounds each with no extra charge like before that if you would go over the 44 lbs you needed to pay $2.00 extra per pound.

No, American borns cannot go to Cuba yet...the reason is that the United States still has an embargo against cuba.

If the embargo is lifted then American borns can travel to Cuba freely.

The only reason Cuban born American citizens or residents can go is because we were born in Cuba, and once you step in Cuban soil, you are still considered a Cuban citizen.....Once in Cuba you are Cuban again and must follow their rules and regulations...

But..If you travel to Cuba...you can always go to the American Interest section Located in Habana and register yourself as a Cuban American Citizen, so in case there is a problem in Cuba whle you are there visiting They can help you get out...this law only applies if you are a Cuban Born American Citizen...Or you are an American born going to Cuba with a special agricultural licence to sell to the Cuban Government.

If you need any more questions answered you can always DM me and I can help you as much as I can with your doubts and questions regarding the new law.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
The law States...That any Cuban Born in Cuba do not need to wait the three years anymore...they can go once a year again like it was before Bush changed it back in 2004. Now is even easier...you buy a Visa only once, you get your American passaport or cuban passapor stamped and with that one time visa you can travel to cuba once a year.

No difference..you were still born in Cuba and just became naturalized as an American citizen.

Correct, if you came to the USA before 1980...you do not need a Cuban Passaport, if you came after the 1980's, then you need to travel to cuba with both passaports, with the cuban passport and your American Passaport...with the new law you do not need to go thru a third country which is illegal.

Now you can also bring 2 suitcases with up to 70 pounds each with no extra charge like before that if you would go over the 44 lbs you needed to pay $2.00 extra per pound.

No, American borns cannot go to Cuba yet...the reason is that the United States still has an embargo against cuba.

If the embargo is lifted then American borns can travel to Cuba freely.

The only reason Cuban born American citizens or residents can go is because we were born in Cuba, and once you step in Cuban soil, you are still considered a Cuban citizen.....Once in Cuba you are Cuban again and must follow their rules and regulations...

But..If you travel to Cuba...you can always go to the American Interest section Located in Habana and register yourself as a Cuban American Citizen, so in case there is a problem in Cuba whle you are there visiting They can help you get out...this law only applies if you are a Cuban Born American Citizen...Or you are an American born going to Cuba with a special agricultural licence to sell to the Cuban Government.

If you need any more questions answered you can always DM me and I can help you as much as I can with your doubts and questions regarding the new law.

So I was born in Cuba. I came here in 1961. I am naturalized US.
I can go to Cuba once a year with my USA passport and don't need a Cuban passport and I can go directly out of Miami?

I have no relatives in Cuba anymore and actually no friends either. I am really just a tourist who wants to know where she was born and what it looks like NOW with my own two eyes.

I don't have to be visiting immediate family? I don't have to be going for "religious" reasons? I don't have to dress all in white and be a santera?

If it is so easy, I'm going in May.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:36 PM
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
As someone who HAS ACTUALLY BEEN THERE Cuba is not what the media would have you believe. I went to Havana for 2 weeks in 2002 (before George Bush enacted the travel restrictions for educational purposes-I went for a student trip). The entire time I was there I saw 1 homeless person (they may not live lavishly, but most everyone has food, work, and a home) and there really was a 24 hour vibe to the city. American dollars were everywhere, the hospitals were top notch, and the universities were very nice (and free). I heard plenty of English from the locals as well. A couple of guys who went on the trip with me actually went back for a couple of semesters to take advantage of the free universities. Though the place might not be perfect, there are many other places with much worse going on. I can't wait to go back myself!!!
The last time I visited Cuba was in 2004....I did not go to Cuba as a Student for 2 weeks...I went to Cuba to see some of my family and stayed in cuba for 1 month....In Cuba there is HUNGER, There is people who do live in the STREETS...and I am sorry but I cannot agree with you about the part that the HOSPITALS are top notch..did you actually go to a hospital where the Cuban go...or did you go to a HOSPITAL that you need to pay with AMERICAN dollars?...you need to remember the people who live in Cuba do not get paid in AMERICAN dollars they get paid in PESOS and most of the people there even if they are the best doctors only get paid an equivelent of $10.00 dollars a month....Back in 2002 when you went the American Dollar was still in circulation...as of 2004 the Dollar was removed and the Cuban people most of those helped by the Cuban families who live all over the world and send money to them, get what is called "Chavitos" which is the equivelant to a American Dollar....also the exchange is as of now...$24.00 pesos to $1.00 American dollar (Chavito) There are not many in Cuba who can exchange $24.00 pesos for that $1.00 dollar to pay for food, toiletries or anything their hearts desired, unless their families help them.

Also I may add...the schooling is free, but in reality is not FREE...because everyone that goes to school in Cuba must work in the farms doing manual work for the Governement with no pay for the exchange of going to school (Cuban Borns who live in CUBA), if you refuse to send your children to this farms for forced labor, you and your children are an outcast..and even your nice neighbors throw rock at their homes...I was there,,and I saw this with my own EYES.

For someone like you who only has gone to Cuba for a couple of weeks it might be a paradise, but for the ones who are born there and live there all year round is not THEY CONSIDERED IT HELL.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
ECG

Quote:
So I was born in Cuba. I came here in 1961. I am naturalized US.
I can go to Cuba once a year with my USA passport and don't need a Cuban passport and I can go directly out of Miami?

I have no relatives in Cuba anymore and actually no friends either. I am really just a tourist who wants to know where she was born and what it looks like NOW with my own two eyes.

I don't have to be visiting immediate family? I don't have to be going for "religious" reasons? I don't have to dress all in white and be a santera?

If it is so easy, I'm going in May.
You got it right.....Start packing your bags..we might even meet in the plane on our way there....LOL

Since you came in 1961...you only need your American Passport and 1 lifetime visa and you can go to Cuba once a year...you do not need to have family there anymore not even friends...but hey I have plenty of Family with lots of homes there and lots of friends too, who were not able to leave Cuba. All the way from Habna to Santa Clara!!

NOOOOOOOOOO, No need to go illegaly or as a Santera or thru a third country we can all fly out right out of Miami Airport....

I am already packing my bags all 140 lbs which I am allowed to bring in legally...HURRAY!!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
You got it right.....Start packing your bags..we might even meet in the plane on our way there....LOL

Since you came in 1961...you only need your American Passport and 1 lifetime visa and you can go to Cuba once a year...you do not need to have family there anymore not even friends...but hey I have plenty of Family with lots of homes there and lots of friends too, who were not able to leave Cuba. All the way from Habna to Santa Clara!!

NOOOOOOOOOO, No need to go illegaly or as a Santera or thru a third country we can all fly out right out of Miami Airport....

I am already packing my bags all 140 lbs which I am allowed to bring in legally...HURRAY!!!!

Wow. That sounds pretty good. How long does it take to get that lifetime visa and where do you get it?

(have to start scouting for my retirement waterfront property. LOLLLLL)

Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Is this offered to every other person who lands on US soil?
If not, why do they get special treatment?
Good point -- the whole thing is jas so reedeeculous (Quoting Ricky Ricardo). That should be part of the plan -- open relations w/ Cuba, no more instant political asylum if they set foot on U.S. soil -- err, sand.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:01 AM

640 posts, read 1,823,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You have to make it the 110+ mile journey across the Gulfstream or hijack a plane or a boat for that dream to come true. Many Cubans have died attempting all of these feats.

Considering how many Cubans have floated to Miami, it appears to be eminently do-able. Or Cubans can travel to Mexico or Canada and cross the border. As soon as they step over the line, they're home free. Or they can visit on a tourist visa. If they decide not to go back...well, if they're standing on American soil when they make that decision, they're home free. As long as they can get a foot on dry American land, they can stay.

Farm commodities were allowed (on a limited basis) for export to Cuba. Though its economic impact was not noticable to even the few US states engaged in one-way trade with Cuba (Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana), it made a big impact in Cuba. Many mouthes were fed as a result of it. Unfortunately, American companies had to prematurely stop shipments of corn and grain to Cuba because of the island nation's failure to pay accordingly. (The Cuban government has horrible credit)
Cuba did have that little issue of several devastating hurricanes.

Perhaps we should have taken Cuba up on their offer a few years ago to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Our own government did precious little.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 AM

640 posts, read 1,823,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If they were really interested, they would have known that.
It's very simple with our friend google.

I find the bs in that it's all Obama's fault, as the thread header states.
Is it not still a federal crime for a U.S. citizen to travel to Cuba (even if he holds multiple passports, unless he was a Cuban citizen)? They may not easily track you down (unless you make your trip very public), but if they do track you down, you can get a stiff fine. You might also be put on no-fly lists and such.

Yes, if you're an American citizen you can get a flight to Cuba from Canada or Mexico or elsewhere, or you can fly from Miami on a non-American passport, but you can also go downtown and buy cocaine. They're both illegal.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
I'll take going to Cuba simply and conveniently. That's my choice.
Actually, it's not your choice, is it?
Isn't that why you're whining.
It's all about you and what you want.
If it's so important to you, why didn't you know the laws that allow you to travel?
Why did you have to learn it on CD, of all places.
You lost any credibility that you might have had by not doing any research on your own situation and continued whining.

Were you moaning during the Bush and previous administrations?

Quote:
The last time I visited Cuba was in 2004....I did not go to Cuba as a Student for 2 weeks...I went to Cuba to see some of my family and stayed in cuba for 1 month....In Cuba there is HUNGER, There is people who do live in the STREETS...
Sounds like a lot of the USA, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies