Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here's the deal: The Intuits would be hunting them anyway. If you stopped these particular hunts, you are not going to stop the Polar Bears from being hunted.
Not if the Inuits are themselves hunted, and imprisoned or relocated.

Quote:
Then, I don't know where you keep coming up with the "Mexican" trophy hunter thing - but honestly, now you are being racist.
Read the article in the OP.

Quote:
You also have to recognize that in order to stop this hunting, you are going to have to convince the Canadian Parliament that it should be stopped. At this time - I am unable to find any such proposal (to stop the hunt).
There will be no such proposal unless the people first show their disapproval. I don't expect the hunting to be stopped in any case. Polar bears will almost certainly become extinct in the next 100 years, along with numerous other species. We're in the midst of a mass die-off, soon to include humans as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Not if the Inuits are themselves hunted, and imprisoned or relocated.

Oh for crying out loud - how utterly assine!

You really need to grow up - or, get a life - or - BOTH

Ain't gonna happen Sparky - Ain't gonna happen

You must be on meth or something

Old 03-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Perhaps you should learn something about wildlife management before saying I'm lying.
I'm saying I don't believe what you believe--big difference.

Quote:
No more will be hunted than what the wildlife biologists have said is a safe number to take. Polar bear hunting is extremely regulated and they will not be hunted to extinction.
500 bears taken in Canada annually, out of a global population of 25,000, tells me the wildlife biologists are wrong. Politics have trumped science for 8 years in the US until recently. Seems the same is happening in Canada.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There is fossil evidence that polar bears have lived furthe rinland than they do now and that they have breeded with grizzly bears creating a hybrid of the two in the past when there was less ice. Not that long ago a polar bear was found in Fort Yukon, Alaska, far from the ice...newsminer.com • Polar bear killed near village in Interior Alaska
There is also evidence gathered by Canadian scientists indicating that grisly/brown bears evolved into polar bears after being stranded on floating ice packs away from land. It probably took thousands of years, however.

What these scientists maintain is that as the polar ice cap thins and disappears, just like it has happened in previous global warmings, polar bears would have to adapt by moving inland. If they can't do that, the species perishes.

Here is some information on the subject:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...lar-bears/777/

Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
500 bears taken in Canada annually, out of a global population of 25,000, tells me the wildlife biologists are wrong. Politics have trumped science for 8 years in the US until recently. Seems the same is happening in Canada.
Hey Sparky? How many Polar Bear Cubs are born each year?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
No, you would be expressing comprehension of how game management saves animal populations.
We have "managed" forests around where I live, that look exactly like clear-cuts. We have nothing but lip service for saving declining salmon populations. And on & on. So sorry if I don't believe these people.

Quote:
Why's it safe to say that? Because its how your mind works.
Yes, because I'm a student of history, which is replete with examples of species being decimated for profit.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
I'm saying I don't believe what you believe--big difference.
It has nothing to do with beliefs at all. It's science. You are using emotions instead.

Quote:
500 out of 25,000 is not a lot, and the scientists have determined it will not harm the population. And considering they have been hunted for thousands of years...I don't see them being hunted to extinction especially with them being so heavily protected now.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Oh for crying out loud - how utterly assine!
It's asinine only to those who believe some humans are more important than a whole species of bears.

Quote:
You really need to grow up - or, get a life - or - BOTH
Rest assured that millions and millions of people share my belief that the polar bears should be saved at almost all costs including relocating or imprisoning the Inuit.

Quote:
Ain't gonna happen Sparky - Ain't gonna happen
I don't doubt that. I think polar bears are goners. I think a billion+ humans are goners in the next few decades too. The web of life is too damaged to sustain us all.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There is also evidence gathered by Canadian scientists indicating that grisly/brown bears evolved into polar bears after being stranded on floating ice packs away from land. It probably took thousands of years, however.

What these scientists maintain is that as the polar ice cap thins and disappears, just like it has happened in previous global warmings, polar bears would have to adapt by moving inland. If they can't do that, the species perishes.

Here is some information on the subject:
Arctic Bears - How Grizzlies Evolved into Polar Bears | Nature
Yeah. And I have no doubt the bears will adapt. Bears are good at adapting and surviving. The polar bear in Fort Yukon tells me they will likely do fine.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It's asinine only to those who believe some humans are more important than a whole species of bears.

Rest assured that millions and millions of people share my belief that the polar bears should be saved at almost all costs including relocating or imprisoning the Inuit.
You're proposing atrocities (considered crimes against humanity under international laws) to stop hunting which has gone on for thousands of years without a problem, with the top scientists working carefully to ensure the hunting remains sustainable? Good lord...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies