Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times

Advertisements

[quote=starlite9;8009500]

To the loons that believe every word Gore and his cronies spout... [quote]
Actually, what is loony is your & the others on this forums insistence that those of us who actually listen to scientists regard Gore as our idol. THAT is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I buy green electricity here in Washington DC and it costs 1¢/kWh more than the undifferentiated stuff. The cost for compliance is very modest and it creates jobs in the United States, not rich oil sheiks in radical Muslim countries.
And the entire country is just like WDC, right?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,631,511 times
It's called natural warming and cooling trends going back millions of years. We have been in a warming trend but it will revert back at some point in the future to cooling.

Obama's probably gonna spend millions more on the unproven topic of 'humans contributing to global warming'.

Tons of $$$$$$ thrown to the wind. For something we're not even majorly contributing to. Sad.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
And the entire country is just like WDC, right?
No wind power is even cheaper out west.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Please state your source for the inaccuracy of the NASA data. You saying it doesn't mean much to me.
IPCC Scientists Caught Producing False Data To Push Global Warming

Quote:
On Monday, NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), run by Al Gore’s chief scientific ally, Dr James Hansen, announced that last month was the hottest October on record.
It soon came to light that the data produced by NASA to make the claim, and in particular temperature records covering large areas of Russia, was merely carried over from the previous month. NASA had used temperature records from the naturally hotter month of September and claimed they represented temperature figures in October.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
No wind power is even cheaper out west.
And the entire nation is supposed to reduce their electricity consumption by 97%? You do know that wind+solar+other renewables account for only 3% of the electricity generated, right?

You're so naive it's pathetic, rl.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Wait a minute. ONE MONTH of data was incorrect and has been corrected. The chart I posted has the corrected data in it and it's annual data anyway. You're going to have to do better than a data error which was promptly corrected.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
And the entire nation is supposed to reduce their electricity consumption by 97%? You do know that wind+solar+other renewables account for only 3% of the electricity generated, right?

You're so naive it's pathetic, rl.
Actually it's about 9+% according to your own source. It's important to not be so naive that you fail to recognize that hydroelectric generation is renewable.

The proposal is to increase that to about 20% over a couple of decades. 30% of the new generation capacity installed last year was wind.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute. ONE MONTH of data was incorrect and has been corrected. The chart I posted has the corrected data in it and it's annual data anyway. You're going to have to do better than a data error which was promptly corrected.
Shifting goal posts (again), rl? You wanted proof. It was provided. You can't come back and claim that you want more proof.

Oh, wait. I forgot. The rules that apply to the rest of the world don't apply to you.

And, by the way, that's one HELL of a "data error". Wouldn't you think that someone would double-check the facts and figures before proclaiming to the world that a month was the hottest on record?!

Nevermind. I know you're firmly planted in the "we are responsible" camp and absolutely nothing at all will change that.

You do know that the warming trend ended a decade ago, though, right?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Actually it's about 9+% according to your own source. It's important to not be so naive that you fail to recognize that hydroelectric generation is renewable.
Read my post and review the source again. There is a classification for "other renewables", and that is what I was referring to.

Reading comprehension. It's a good thing - check it out.

But let's assume you caught a mistake and just continue - you're still over a barrel, rl.

So you're saying that the entire country is supposed to reduce their electricity consumption by 90%, then?
Quote:
The proposal is to increase that to about 20% over a couple of decades. 30% of the new generation capacity installed last year was wind.
Yeah, I know. I'm a part of that process. This is a photo sent to me by one of my customers:

That's a windmill tower section. It takes several of those, plus the turbine, plus the blades to put together a single windmill. Every piece has to be delivered separately, and many are overweight loads. You have any idea how quickly a diesel engine burns through fuel when it's pulling 75 tons?

Anyway... I know you're a worshiper, and no amount of logic or common sense will sway you from your religion. I do enjoy our banters, though (occasionally)...

Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies