Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
People WANTED those gas guzzlers,people would STILL want them if they felt better about things.

Few people WANT to buy small cars....except those who get pleasure from the sacrifice.

Until gas prices went way up,the automakers were selling quite a lot of those 'gas guzzlers'...you might also want to take a look at the import lines and see how many autos/trucks/SUVs they have that meet the criteria.
lol...it's unfortunate, but to a great extent you're correct. Would the customers have pursued gas guzzlers if they weren't marketed and produced? What if the gas gas guzzlers were large vehicles, but fuel efficient...Interestingly enough the Hummer is ostracized - Lexus makes some big SUV's that get very similar gas mileage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
GM always had its econoboxes.....even has an entire model line(Saturn) that was that way.

But it matters little anymore....unless people want to say that this is the main reason for their problems.
GM lost the econobox war due to reliability and it's accompanying reputation - You could barely find an automotive editorial on the planet who would endorse one, and never consistently. They ceded this ground to Honda long ago.

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...it's unfortunate, but to a great extent you're correct. Would the customers have pursued gas guzzlers if they weren't marketed and produced? What if the gas gas guzzlers were large vehicles, but fuel efficient...Interestingly enough the Hummer is ostracized - Lexus makes some big SUV's that get very similar gas mileage....
People would indeed buy the large vehicles if it is feasible...it is funny that europeans were making bigger and bigger vehicles to satisfy their customers.

I believe one of the worst gas guzzlers is one of the mom mobiles,a Japanese minivan(either Toyota or Honda)....

But to the rabid enviro-weenies it gets a pass.

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Quote:
Back to the OP....

Dow DOWN -95.26 (-1.25%) 9:39AM

Dow UP 57.10 (+.75%) 10:57AM

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
GM lost the econobox war due to reliability and it's accompanying reputation - You could barely find an automotive editorial on the planet who would endorse one, and never consistently. They ceded this ground to Honda long ago.
What econobox does Honda make?

It made all of its old models much bigger to fit the market desires...

Funny thing is GM's smaller vehicles were Asian in origin....

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
People would indeed buy the large vehicles if it is feasible...it is funny that europeans were making bigger and bigger vehicles to satisfy their customers.

I believe one of the worst gas guzzlers is one of the mom mobiles,a Japanese minivan(either Toyota or Honda)....

But to the rabid enviro-weenies it gets a pass.
We need to start utilizing and HIRING engineers again. I just wish they'd set a real floor on the MPG and let Consumer Reports assess whether the Manufacturers hit it or not....at least everyone Trusts them.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM

I actually wish the fedgov. would stop interfering and allow what the public wants to be marketed.

I would buy in a second a small/midsized 4x4 SUV powered by a diesel.

However such a thing is not allowed in this country,or at least it is extremely limited.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
What econobox does Honda make?

It made all of its old models much bigger to fit the market desires...

Funny thing is GM's smaller vehicles were Asian in origin....

I suppose I'm reminiscing over the Civic and how it and the Accord single handedly annihilated the Big 3 for years....oh yeah and there were also the buy American wars....and the no Robot wars....

26 years dominating a class of vehicle is a long, long time....the pattern for success is there - Reliability - it's a machine, engineer it to rarely ever break, fix it with no questions asked, sell it once to a Generation - HONDA. (and then Toyota, and Hyundai.....once upon a time Ford)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I actually wish the fedgov. would stop interfering and allow what the public wants to be marketed.

I would buy in a second a small/midsized 4x4 SUV powered by a diesel.

However such a thing is not allowed in this country,or at least it is extremely limited.
The new VW diesel does get 50MPG plus!!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
GM always had its econoboxes.....even has an entire model line(Saturn) that was that way.

But it matters little anymore....unless people want to say that this is the main reason for their problems.
Well, as a long-term owner of 2 Saturns (a 93 SW2 and a 03 LW200), I'm well aware of their existance.
I'm also well aware of the fact that GM never fully embraced them (and their Japanese-like production methods).

At it's core, GM has always had a "big car" mentality - and that is costing the company now.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies