Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
People would indeed buy the large vehicles if it is feasible...it is funny that europeans were making bigger and bigger vehicles to satisfy their customers.

I believe one of the worst gas guzzlers is one of the mom mobiles,a Japanese minivan(either Toyota or Honda)....

But to the rabid enviro-weenies it gets a pass.
You're incorrect.

http://jeremygoodell.com/2008/06/13/best-and-worst-gas-mileage.aspx (broken link)

Minivans With Good Gas Mileage – Top 5 Minivans With Good Gas Mileage (http://minivans.about.com/od/fueleconomy/tp/top5_fuel.htm - broken link)

Worst

WAGONS & HATCHBACKS Overall mpg = 19 or less
1 Volvo XC70
2 Dodge Magnum SXT
3 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited (6-cyl.)
SMALL SUVS Overall mpg = 16 or less
1 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2 Jeep Liberty Sport
3 Dodge Nitro SLT
MIDSIZED SUVS Overall mpg = 14 or less
1 Jeep Commander Limited (5.7, V8)
2 Land Rover LR3 SE (V8)
3 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer (V8)
4 Hummer H3
MINIVANS Overall mpg = 17 or less
1 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
2 Kia Sedona EX
3 Chrysler Town & Country Limited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You're incorrect.

Minivans With Good Gas Mileage – Top 5 Minivans With Good Gas Mileage (http://minivans.about.com/od/fueleconomy/tp/top5_fuel.htm - broken link)
The Honda Odyssey gets 16/23.

Toyota Sienna gets 17/23.

I doubt anyone considers this GOOD....

Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Back to the OP....

Dow DOWN -95.26 (-1.25%) 9:39AM
Whoops!
Looks like you posted way too soon.
Though the major indexes were down for the first hour, after that point they were up the rest of the day, and the DOW ended up 150+ points (+2.01%) at closing, resuming it's upward march after a couple of down days.

Will it continue tomorrow?
I have no idea.
Every day is a new day - with brand new challenges and opportunities.
I DO think though that the overall trend is back up after bottoming out early last month. While the DOW & S&P500 are still down for the year, they were both up nearly 20% for the month of March, and the NASDAQ is actually UP since Obama was sworn in (the DOW and the S&P500 are not far behind).

Ken

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 PM

I think the Dow will take another nose dive as there is no reason for it to get better....

Nothing is improving,unemployment is increasing,foreclosures are increasing,still have the whole credit card debt bubble to burst,commercial real estate is getting ready to burst....

Happy days!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
Quote:
I think the Dow will take another nose dive as there is no reason for it to get better....

Nothing is improving,unemployment is increasing,foreclosures are increasing,still have the whole credit card debt bubble to burst,commercial real estate is getting ready to burst....

Happy days!!!
So sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you - but the Dow was up 2% yesterday - and will probably be up as much again today - Dow futures are up 175 as I write this... I know this must annoy you!!! I want you to know that I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

Too bad the national economic failure that you are hoping and praying for is not materializing... Maybe Rush and Sean can come up with other hate-filled talking points for you... this one won't work.

Too bad you can't give Obama credit for reversing this terrible economy and financial meltdown that DUBYA left for him and us - but he will persevere and succeed - in spite of all the BLIND ill-will and hate from anti-Obama types - you know - a-hole Ditto Heads!!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Happy days!!!
No, you're wrong.
While some indicators ARE still getting worse - most notably the unemployment numbers, there are some indicators that have been showing improvement and several others that have been showing a slowing of their fall. While no one is predicting a quick turnaround of the economy, these are indications that we MAY be approaching the bottom and that a turnaround is either underway or close to starting.

1) Pending sales of new homes are up (as are orders for durable goods) while the durable goods order are expected to fall again, just the fact that they were UP instead of DOWN is an indication that we may be nearing the bottom of the economic downturn - Durable goods, new home sales surprisingly up - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

2) Pending sales of existing homes are up - Housing market picked up a tick in February - Apr. 1, 2009

3) The collapse of construction spending is slowing, indicating that we may be near the bottom in this regard - Construction spending falls less than expected - Apr. 1, 2009 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/01/news/economy/construction.reut/index.htm?postversion=2009040110 - broken link)

4) While US manufacturing still shrank (for the 14th straight month), the shrinking is apparently slowing - again, a sign that we may be near the bottom - U.S. manufacturing activity shrank in March - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

While there IS plenty of bad news out there - and it's very possible the good news COULD be reversed, the fact is that not all indicators reverse course at once and the ones that usually are the first are starting to show a definite (if weak) improvement. Unemployment numbers of course continue to grow, but the markets have largely discounted those since employment is usually the very LAST thing to show improvement (just as it's the LAST thing to deteriorate).

You have to remember, the market is always looking forward and trying to anticipate where we are GOING - not WHERE WE ARE, and so the market is responding to those foreward-looking indicators a lot more than it is those current indicators - hence the rise in the market over the last 4 weeks as indicator after indicator has shown either an improvement or (as has been more often the case) at least numbers that are less dreadful than expected.

Will the market go up or down on any given day?
Who knows?
Pre-market numbers are UP again for today, but that doesn't mean they will stay that way.

Still, I'm of the opinion that the worst for the market is over - even if the worst for the country is not (especially in regards to unemployment) for the simply reason that the worst for the country is near and that within the next few months there's a pretty good chance things will start to improve in many ways. The TARP and stimulus money is starting to kick in which will help considerably.

While I wouldn't say "happy days are here again" - not by a LONG shot, at least there are some glimmers of hope on the horizon, and the markets are responding accordingly. No matter how you look at it 2009 is going to be a dreadful year, but it's looking like 2010 is going to be significantly better.

I know that's a hard pill for the Obamabashers to swallow - since they are hoping for a deterioration of the economy so that they can make gains in the 2010 elections - but that's the way it's looking right now.

Can that change?
Of course it can.
Will it change?
Not looking that way right now.

Ken

Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
So sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you - but the Dow was up 2% yesterday - and will probably be up as much again today - Dow futures are up 175 as I write this... I know this must annoy you!!! I want you to know that I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

Too bad the national economic failure that you are hoping and praying for is not materializing... Maybe Rush and Sean can come up with other hate-filled talking points for you... this one won't work.

Too bad you can't give Obama credit for reversing this terrible economy and financial meltdown that DUBYA left for him and us - but he will persevere and succeed - in spite of all the BLIND ill-will and hate from anti-Obama types - you know - a-hole Ditto Heads!!
How much is it off from.....this time last year?

Darn,has a bit of a climb doesn't it?

Funny how breaking 8000 points will be rejoiced over when the Dow was over 12000 points just a year ago.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
How much is it off from.....this time last year?

Darn,has a bit of a climb doesn't it?

Funny how breaking 8000 points will be rejoiced over when the Dow was over 12000 points just a year ago.
No one can do ANYTHING about what's happened in the past.
Like lots of other people my 401K got the cr*p beat out of it during the last year of Junior's reign (most of that during a 2 week period in October when he first announced the "need" for the $700 billion bailout for the banks).

All we can do at this point is to look forward to how it WILL DO from here on out - and currently (whether you like it or not) that trend is UP. I'm sure you find it disappointing that the market is recovering, but you'll get over it.

Ken

Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Basically ignore the inconvenient facts and only look at the market going up today....

You sound like the financial experts on cable...

I wonder how many homes or washing machines the 740,000+ people made jobless last month will buy.

Of course don't think back to the previous month when a similar number lost their jobs...or the month before...or the month before.

Happy days are just around the corner.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Here in the U.S. market, commercial real estate is worth about $6.5 trillion, and is financed by an estimated $3.1 trillion in debt.

And that debt is going bad at an escalating rate. In March, the delinquency rate on about $724 billion in securitized debt reached 1.8%. As percentages go, that’s a pretty small number. In fact, it’s less than a quarter of the housing market’s record-breaking mortgage-delinquency rate of 7.88% for the fourth quarter, according to the Mortgage Banker’s Association.

But don’t let that 1.8% rate fool you: The delinquency rate on commercial-real-estate debt has more than doubled just since September, according to a new Deutsche Bank AG (DB) report called “Commercial Real Estate at the Precipice.”
Will the Dark Cloud of Commercial Real Estate Blot Out the U.S. Recovery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies