Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Basically ignore the inconvenient facts and only look at the market going up today....

You sound like the financial experts on cable...

I wonder how many homes or washing machines the 740,000+ people made jobless last month will buy.

Of course don't think back to the previous month when a similar number lost their jobs...or the month before...or the month before.

Happy days are just around the corner.
See here is where we differ. The market will increase simply because its a cycle, economies go down, they go up, Obama will benefit and has little to do with the downfall, or the growth in the economy.. Sure, liberals will give Obama credit wrongfully for a recover, however it will recover, especially considering the market was oversold out of fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Basically ignore the inconvenient facts and only look at the market going up today....

You sound like the financial experts on cable...

I wonder how many homes or washing machines the 740,000+ people made jobless last month will buy.

Of course don't think back to the previous month when a similar number lost their jobs...or the month before...or the month before.

Happy days are just around the corner.
I have ALREADY pointed out the facts.
You just REFUSE to accept them.
I can't help the fact that you are choosing to be deliberately dense.
You "speak" as if you think that I was somehow manipulating the market - that I can personally drive it up when it should be going down.

LOL

The fact is, I'm just reflecting on what the market is DOING - and WHY.
You can choose to "doom and gloom" all you want - and you won't change a thing. The fact is you - like any other individual - are pretty much impotent (in your efforts to drive the economy into the collapse you seem to so desire). Despite your best efforts, the country and the economy WILL recover and things WILL improve.

Get used to it.
I predict you are going to be VERY unhappy.
Me, I'm pretty happy right now (considering just how bad things are). The present is pretty darned ugly sure enough - and probably will get worse before it gets better (at least in many regards) - but it WILL get better, and I suspect that turnaround is not too far off. The market WILL have it's down days - and I'm sure you WILL point them out - but the fact is, the overal trend is UP (whether YOU like it or not).

2009 is UGLY, but 2010 is looking better all the time.

Ken

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
See here is where we differ. The market will increase simply because its a cycle, economies go down, they go up, Obama will benefit and has little to do with the downfall, or the growth in the economy.. Sure, liberals will give Obama credit wrongfully for a recover, however it will recover, especially considering the market was oversold out of fear.
But there has to be a reason for the markets to go up....
I love this:
Quote:
Japan's Nikkei 225 was extending gains, up 3.0% despite disappointing corporate sentiment data
In other words,the facts were bad but the market didn't care....

Problem is facts eventually will catch up to you....

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is indeed much truth to what you say here (I don't agree 100% but at least 75%) - particularly with the statement in RED.

When Bush announced the immediate "need" for the $700 billion bailout, he panicked the markets, which in turn, panicked consumers, which in turn caused them to stop spending, which in turn caused the economy to go into a sudden and steep nosedive. Not saying there was not already major problems with the economy, but panic and fear were brought on by Junior's "deer in the headlights" presentation of the crisis to the American people. The fact, it, the economic downturn - though underway already - didn't need to turn into the steep collapse that it has.

Ken

Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Actually I am fine,it matters little to us what happens in the world,our path is chosen.....in fact the more government programs and incentives to the poor the better in our case.

I am simply not buying into the lies that things are getting better already when there is no reason for it...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
But there has to be a reason for the markets to go up....
I love this:

In other words,the facts were bad but the market didn't care....
No.
I already explained it to you.
The markets are ALWAYS looking ahead.
When a company (for example) says that their projections are for a 20% drop in profits next quarter, it's THEN that the stock will drop.
When the time comes and the company says that their profits were only down 15%, THEN the stock goes up, because the forward-looking market had ALREADY factored in an expected 20% drop, so a 15% drop is considered to be GOOD news - meaning the drop that had ALREADY TAKEN PLACE is considered to have been TOO STEEP OF A DROP.

As mentioned, the markets are alway LOOKING AHEAD - not at the PRESENT.

So, yes, the Japanese news was probably considered "good" because the "bad" expectations were ALREADY factored in to the stock prices.

It's not all that hard to understand - you just seem determined to do so.

Ken

Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 AM

Actually from the article there was little factual basis for the optimism...

Something the cynical side of me has considered is every upswing is just another occasion to screw over those putting money into the markets...

Obama did tell everyone just last week it was a good time to buy stocks...

As I stated,this has no actual effect upon me,our path is set and if it all fell apart tomorrow(or suddenly shot back to 2008 levels) it would not matter.

You however seem to have a vested interest in things getting(or appearing to get) better....

Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Smile 7,984.77

Dow UP +223.17(2.88%) 10:47AM

Old 04-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Only another 4629 points to go to be back to where it was a year ago....

Happy days ARE here again.

But ignore historical facts if/when they are uncomfortable to view.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Quote:
Only another 4629 points to go to be back to where it was a year ago....

Happy days ARE here again.

But ignore historical facts if/when they are uncomfortable to view.
We are back to where the Dow was when Obama was innaugurated.

The 43% drop before that happened when Bush was in charge!

Talk about ignoring historical facts when they are uncomfortable to view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies