Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Your question:

Then, bazaarly enough, you proceeded to answer your OWN question (when Tigerlily24 mentioned the market going up):

Pretty strange, dude.
Even moreso if you now deny once again that Obama hasn't made the market go up.

Spin, spin, spin.
Flip/flop flip/flop flip/flop.

LOL

Ken
I notice how you read into my response what you want to read into it, completely making assumptions not in evidence. (you know what they say about assumptions dont you)?

I didnt deny or credit the plan that Tiger mentioned with causing the market with going up, (although anyone who wants to talk intelligently about the subject (obviously not you) knows the increase began going up before that plan was announced). In my response to Tiger, I only stated that the plans it is not good for the country.

Obviously you dont care that there is a difference.

Last edited by pghquest; 03-26-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Does anyone know how far Main Street lags behind Wall Street in terms of recovery? Wall Street seems to have stabilized, but unemployment is gaining speed. Is there any consistent time frame when the recovery of Wall Street effects Main Street?
About 6 months, but there are many who have been predicting the recovery on Wall Street, followed by a steep decline as individuals take their profits out to protect them. Only after 6 months or so of market stabilization and good economic indicators, i.e. good retail sales, good housing starts will the employment follow. Most of those economic indicators rely upon the flow of money from the banking industry which plans began under Bush and continue to this day.

The current problem that we might face is actually to much money because its being created so fast and out of thin air that the only way to cover the debt currently being created is to cause inflation.. What that means is that when the employment situation recovers, you'll have to make even more in order to afford day to day living expenses..

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Well, as of the increase in the markets today, the DOW (up 175 today) is within 75 points of when Obama was sworn in - with the S&P 500 (up 19 today) not too far behind - and the Nasdaq is actually in POSITIVE territory for the year (not just since Obama was sworn in). This is the 3rd week of the rally.

Will there be profit taking tomorrow?
Who knows, but it seems this rally has legs.

Ken

Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I notice how you read into my response what you want to read into it, completely making assumptions not in evidence. (you know what they say about assumptions dont you)?

I didnt deny or credit the plan that Tiger mentioned with causing the market with going up, (although anyone who wants to talk intelligently about the subject (obviously not you) knows the increase began going up before that plan was announced). In my response to Tiger, I only stated that the plans it is not good for the country.

Obviously you dont care that there is a difference.
As I said - spin, spin, spin.

I think your previous posts on this thread speak for themselves as to what you "said".

Ken

Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As I said - spin, spin, spin.

I think your previous posts on this thread speak for themselves as to what you "said".

Ken
Yes, yes it does.. you just cant read, have those liberal blinders on and always think you know what people said even though they didnt.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
I believe everyone should give Obama the credit for what's happened the last week in the stock market.

It's like taking out a huge loan when you're having a debt problem. You get a period of relief. You've got money again to spend and invest. That $3 trillion new debt isn't chump change after all -- all that money being thrown at the CEO's and bankers. It's a surge for sure. All the taxpayers being bailed out with their portion of that $3 trillion -- a whole lot more money for all to spend and invest -- we're all flying high and feeling great right now, but what happens when the payment on that new debt is due?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe everyone should give Obama the credit for what's happened the last week in the stock market.

It's like taking out a huge loan when you're having a debt problem. You get a period of relief. You've got money again to spend and invest. That $3 trillion new debt isn't chump change after all -- all that money being thrown at the CEO's and bankers. It's a surge for sure. All the taxpayers being bailed out with their portion of that $3 trillion -- a whole lot more money for all to spend and invest -- we're all flying high and feeling great right now, but what happens when the payment on that new debt is due?
Summary tables of the budget.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets/fy2010_new_era/Summary_Tables2.pdf (broken link)

It shows a 1 trillion dollar increase in outlays compared to last year.

Ahh, but you said debt.
So with a $3 trillion baseline (2008), you must be referring to 2009-2011, right (adding up the projected deficits of those years)?

You can see the totals there too, here's a couple numbers.
3.76 trillion added through 2014
6.97 trillion through 2019

5.3 trillion is what bush added in his time.
I expect that we'll get more for our money, by comparison.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Also remember that the budget is just a figure;then they have to actaully appropriate the money. If that wasn't true the border fence would ahve been built and strong enforcement would have been going on since 1980. That is where many senators and congressman will choke knowing they have to run before obama again.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Here is where the Obama move last week is not like the example you posed at all.

If you take out a loan to get a period of relief, you use that loan money to pay off debts, which lowers your monthly payment and allows you as the individiual to spend more due to the lower payment plan. This is where I actually have to give Clinton credit for understanding. He refinanced a lot of the countries debt at lower amounts. (and no, he still did not balance the budget)

Obamas plan is an additional debt, lumped on top of the oriignal loan amount that you couldnt pay to begin with. The original debt and payments continued.

I do agree with you though on whats going to happen when the payments on the debt is due, this has been the whole argument against the bailout from the beginning. We can hardly pay our bills now and we're lumping trillions on top of it? If this was a one time expense I could swallow it but the spending is being proposed for the next 10 years meaning the USA will have either massive taxes, massive inflation due to printing of money, or we will officially become bankrupt.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
5.3 trillion is what bush added in his time.
I expect that we'll get more for our money, by comparison.
I didnt understand that the it was ok for the government to run any deficit provided that we get "more for our money".. I think our children and grandchildren would be open to dispute this statement.

p.s. Obama is projecting to tripple Bushs' deficit which seems to be ok with you? Its histerical to see those that criticized Bushs' deficit seem more than happy to live with Obamas much higher ones..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies