Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage will be legalized in all States in how many years?
Within 5 18 11.84%
Within 10 21 13.82%
Within 20 34 22.37%
Within 50 12 7.89%
It will take more than 50 years 8 5.26%
It will never be legalized in all states 54 35.53%
It will be made ill-legal in all states 1 0.66%
Other 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times

Advertisements

I voted within 20. Some states may be holdouts but I expect that they'll be overruled federally at some point. Glad to hear the good news from Iowa and Vermont, in the meantime. I suspect New York will be the next domino.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Probably a few years before you can marry a goat but who really cares?
Never ceases to amaze me the way folks drool over the downslide of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
I wonder how many other combinations will be legalized? Multiple adults? Teens? Kids? I heard from some folks who want to marry their dogs and cats. If they had enough activists, they could pull it off.
So witty, makes you both look about 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm not gay, but it does matter to me. I think it's wrong of the government and industry to discriminate against gays. They should be offered the same advantages (or disadvantages) as straight folks -- family insurance, social security benefits, tax breaks, inheritance breaks, etc.

I want my government to be fair to all, whether it affects me directly or not. I feel it's mostly religious beliefs that's kept gay marriages banned to date, and I'm not a believer in mixing church and state issues. As long as I live in this country, it does affect me -- not directly perhaps, but when people are discriminated against, I'm affected.
I agree, however, what I mean is, the decision doesn't directly affect most people unless they are gay or have a gay family member, so it shouldn't make a difference in their lives. It doesn't change most people's lives at all. If it bothers them, they should disregard the whole thing.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I am 100% in favor of gay marriage.

I have seen far too many gay couples "hook up" and "break up" over and over again, behaving with total irresponsibility, especially where kids are concerned. By golly, if they had to go through all of the legal hassles of marriage (with the love, honor, cherish, in poverty and wealth, in sickness and in health whole thing) and THEN had to go through the claims of adultery, the prosecutions for abuse, the dual responsibility of child-rearing and insurance forms and shared liabilities for everything from housing to bankruptcy, and then the divorce with the child support and alimony, they'd soon be on an equal footing with the rest of us. Yee-hah! Bout danged time.

Seriously, i don't give a beaver's dam about what people do in their own homes or their own bedrooms. Just stop making it out like its a big deal to have "gasp" sex. Birds, bees, and fleas do it. Even as a granny I still do it. (Poke out your mind's eye to get rid of THAT mental image. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ) So what? Who cares? Keep it to yourself, mind yer own business, and let other people mind theirs.
SCgranny you know I love your posts and opinions but I could never agree on gay marriage because it is not normal. But....in your second paragraph I do agree that what people do in their own home and bedroom is NONE of anyones business, especially the fat cat beuracrats. In addition I also agree they just keep it to themself and stop bragging and marching in their own gay parades while making out in public as children are watching and questioning their Dad why. So yes, everyone mind yer own business.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
SCgranny you know I love your posts and opinions but I could never agree on gay marriage because it is not normal. But....in your second paragraph I do agree that what people do in their own home and bedroom is NONE of anyones business, especially the fat cat beuracrats. In addition I also agree they just keep it to themself and stop bragging and marching in their own gay parades while making out in public as children are watching and questioning their Dad why. So yes, everyone mind yer own business.
Marriage is a civil right. It has nothing to do with what you think is "normal." If two grown and consenting human beings wish to get married to each other, it's not up to you or me or anyone to pass judgment on them, or to forbid them by law. Since when do we vote on people's rights? Also--for your information--the church occasionally officiated at gay marriages in the Middle Ages.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
I am against gay marriage, but I am NOT anti-gay. There is a difference.

I worry about where it could lead as far as polygamy goes. The animal arguments are way off base, but the polygamy one is definitely valid.

This does need to be a state issue....not yet another thing the federal government intrudes in to.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am against gay marriage, but I am NOT anti-gay. There is a difference.

I worry about where it could lead as far as polygamy goes. The animal arguments are way off base, but the polygamy one is definitely valid.

This does need to be a state issue....not yet another thing the federal government intrudes in to.
Why would polygamy be an issue with gay marriage rights?

If you are against gay marriage, you are anti-gay. Sorry.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

No...I'm not.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, however consenting adults should have the right to do whatever they choose in private. States need to restrict marriages to protect families and children.

As far as polygamy, if the gay marriage battle is ever over, polygamy may logically come next.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

I dont agree with your lifestyle but I agree with what you say there. I dont even know hoe polygamy can be connected to gays. Oh well.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dont agree with your lifestyle but I agree with what you say there. I dont even know hoe polygamy can be connected to gays. Oh well.
It can't be. That is correct. However, some of the legal reasons for banning gay marriage and the legal reasons for banning polygamous marriages may be related.

I should mention that part of me thinks gay marriage should be allowed. I realize that being gay is not a choice and hate to see people banned from marrying simply because they were born gay. At the same time, I keep coming back to the simple fact that gay couples cannot start families - at least not with children that are biologically theirs and that, to be blunt, it is not natural for gay couples to have kids. Strong families need to be promoted now more than ever.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-07-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,093 times
Before this nation descends into total mockery of marriage across the board, the document which has been twisted to push this upon the majority will have been realized to have outlived it's usefulness. This is one of the many ways tyranny will one day be the rule of law in America. When a majority see a constant flow of laws and acts which go against the grain of core value systems a culture holds dear, they will begin to listen to extremists who promise a return to the way things used to be. Do not believe me? Watch and see, but better yet, study Franco in Spain, Hitler in Germany and currently Putin in Russia. This will happen here, i am not talking about Whites when I mention how a majority views things in this nation, the recent vote by citizens in California outlawing Gay Marriages saw Hispanics, Blacks and Asians voting higher percentage of population for the ban than Whites. Rallying the populace to the cause of strong morals, character will be easy in a future America. You will see the moderate to conservative Whites jump on this, Hispanics who are also moderate to conservative will also likely follow and so forth. This is of course if the entire current United States is still together. Under the current trend of how things are going, this may not be the case. The Gay/Lesbian Lifestyle is not what is in question here, it is the attack upon something which despite the moral decay of this nation and the rest of weak Western Nations most in America still hold dear and do not wish to see made a mockery of-and two people of the same sex getting married is a mockery, they treat it as a joke. Nope, it will not be long, America is not Europe, it has not grown far away from it's pioneer/frontier attitude of rugged Calvinistic ways-sadly, it will be twisted into something far, far different when in a decade or two at the most, growing factions of disenchanted majority viewpoints see their values crushed by a minority viewpoint. All it will take is someone like our current President, who may say "Restore, return, or revive the once Great America" to bring enough people into voting for and perhaps even to push for scrapping the foundations of our liberty.
I do not write this with a desire to see such happen, i just know that the debate of same sex marriage is not going to just be ended in the courts-most of America hates lawyers, judges and the overall legal system-it will not be hard to rally people to rise up against this branch of the government-the rest will be like Dominoes. Now, most who read what I write will say this is an extreme view, but only 50 years ago-homosexuality was still considered a mental illness-now look at it's acceptance. The same can be said 50 years from now to backlash toward Gays/Lesbians and the American judicial system, extremes give birth to more extremes. Somewhere in this land, maybe a well spoken college student, perhaps a young officer in the armed forces, or maybe still a child is someone who is going to rise up and shout enough is enough. This person could be around now, look at Obama's rise, it happened fast. The same can happen with this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies