Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,055,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Yeah, um, I wasn't responding to you...but thanks.

To respond to your post, why can't you understand why folks of my persuasion feel your lifestyle is a sin? You ask for understanding yet won't give it. That is a constant thread coming from your side!

My official postion, as taught by the bible, is to hate the sin but love the sinner. You all hate the Christian and according to folks like Idahogie go out of your way to rub your "gayness" in our face. Then you stand back and complain that people aren't understanding!
I've yet to see how homosexuality is a sin though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,664,232 times
Quote:

To respond to your post, why can't you understand why folks of my persuasion feel your lifestyle is a sin? You ask for understanding yet won't give it. That is a constant thread coming from your side!

My official postion, as taught by the bible, is to hate the sin but love the sinner. You all hate the Christian and according to folks like Idahogie go out of your way to rub your "gayness" in our face. Then you stand back and complain that people aren't understanding!
What would you do without the bible there to tell you how to act, how to treat other people and how to judge? My belief (with the facts I've garnered from years of theology classes) is that the bible is made up and that Jesus never actually existed.

I don't mind if you practice your 'christianity', I really don't... I tolerate you. To be a good loving PERSON (not simply a christian) you should extend the same tolerance to others.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,245,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
I have explained numerous times how same-sex marriage impacts me.

Here is another reason. Married people are allowed special government benefits that unmarried couples do not qualify for.

To provide an example of this I will use your Steve and John couple to demonstrate. If they apply for such entitlements as a married couple, that is extra government money being allowed for them. It impacts me, you, and the rest of society in that our tax money will be used for more entitlements.

I do not wish for my tax money to provide spousal benefits to homosexual couples. It is bad enough that our tax money is used for the promotion of the welfare state in general.

You proclaim to not be religious but you are married anyway. Care to explain that? Marriage is a union of a man and woman that is promoted as a religious institution. You are already a sinner by not being faithful to God so why involve yourself in holy matrimony? That is being a hypocrite.
Umm, as an accountant I can tell you that simply filing as married will not change a LOT on your taxes. It's basically being single times two on most parts.

It will help ease your tax brackets once you get into more higher income levels. This is because you're sharing a life, and there are more expenses being married. I've always thought being single you actually have more expenses because you have to do it all yourself, and can't split utilities, etc.

Single people sometimes pay more in taxes than married people.

Why should Bob and Sue spend their lives commited in a relationship and live with each other paying X% of their income in taxes, but Sharon and Kelly do the exact same thing and pay more?

Tax credits for having children are totally separate, and I don't think two dudes who are straight are going to go get MARRIED now just so they can save $300 on their yearly taxes.

The world hasn't gone upside-down, it's just opened up a little more for some who had been living on the fringe.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:25 PM

968 posts, read 1,041,217 times
Quote:
Um, you quoted my post and then said my comment made no sense. Seems very clear that you were responding to me.

Quote:
I'm sorry - I'm not going to be "understanding" of someone's viewpoint that my nature, who I am, who God made me if you will, is sinful and evil.

Your analogy is not apt. I'm asking you to understand that I was born gay and did not choose it (why wouldn't you believe me or the other 400-500 million gays out there who would say exactly the same thing). I'm asking that I be afforded the same civil rights as all Americans under US Supreme Law - the Constitution.

You're asking me to understand that I'm evil and am not entitled to the same rights as you because you believe some book tells you so.

Quote:
My position is I don't give a **** about your interpretation of the Bible. The Constitution is the Law of the land in the US, not the bible. I don't accept your definition of sin.

I don't hate Christians - my boyfriend goes to church every Sunday. His Church interprets the Bible differently than you do. If your Church doesn't want to admit or marry gays, so be it. Hell, if you believe being Asian is a sin join a church that refuses to serve Asians. It's all fine in a Church. Just don't force it on a nation of secular law and tell me to "understand" it.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 04-09-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,713,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
I have explained numerous times how same-sex marriage impacts me.

Here is another reason. Married people are allowed special government benefits that unmarried couples do not qualify for.

To provide an example of this I will use your Steve and John couple to demonstrate. If they apply for such entitlements as a married couple, that is extra government money being allowed for them. It impacts me, you, and the rest of society in that our tax money will be used for more entitlements.

I do not wish for my tax money to provide spousal benefits to homosexual couples. It is bad enough that our tax money is used for the promotion of the welfare state in general.

You proclaim to not be religious but you are married anyway. Care to explain that? Marriage is a union of a man and woman that is promoted as a religious institution. You are already a sinner by not being faithful to God so why involve yourself in holy matrimony? That is being a hypocrite.

I was "married" by a Notary in a civil service. Secular. Hetero. However, my legal registry, if I am correct, reads as a marriage certificate - my license, even though there be no God as part of this union...has nothing to do with the way I was contracted to my spouse. Personally, I would not care if it read 'Joined at the hip by Space Monkeys, goin' for the long haul' as long as the commitment we made to each other is recognized.

And that is all I wish for any other informed adult who wants to bind themselves in such a way.

Last edited by 33458; 04-09-2009 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Type much?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,362,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Yet definitions change. Kinda like the definition of marriage, eh?
It was changed by homosexuals, not the public in general.
Homosexuals decided to use that word to describe themselves because it sounds better than the actual word... sodomists.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Yeah. I go to Geocities for medical and sexual information all the time.
Of course, you won't accept the information. I am not surprised.

Of course, you will also ignore that there are multiple sources listed. But let's not let that get in the way! After all, those are just statistics and facts!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:07 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,055,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Homosexuals decided to use that word to describe themselves because it sounds better than the actual word... sodomists.
Even though Sodom and Gomorrah had nothing to do with homosexuality?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,584,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, I'm a heterosexual & I think the same thing.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm not sure what your point is in posting that link. Yes, there are risks to having sex, and for many reasons, gay sex contains a higher risk of contracting diseases than straight sex. But so what? To me, that just tells me that people need to think about the sex they're having and how to protect themselves, and public health officials need to be aware of the problems that certain groups have.
I posted the link in answer to the member who claimed that homosexuals have an overall lower incidence of AIDS than heterosexuals.

Quote:
Lesbian sex has a much lower risk of disease than heterosexual sex, so maybe you should be promoting lesbianism. Maybe you could even become a lesbian.
No thanks. I prefer to keep my normal sexual orientation. (A male attracted to females.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies