Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be ok for people to manipulate genes to have "designer" babies
Yes 17 16.67%
No 76 74.51%
Unsure/Other 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I really do not care what people do in their bedroom but the gays want us all to know what they do by insisting on marriage.

If it is not a choice then I wonder why so many bi-sexual people are coming out. First the gays say they had no choice then they say we are all gay but do not want to admit to it. It's crazy making.

So far there are only theories on it. If a gay person wants to go for treatment to become straight they are denigrated by the gay community. Why, if gays believe everyone has rights? I know a man who became straight. Don't tell me he can't. I am only going by what he says and his wife and children must agree. The man lectures on married love---straight.

As far as cheating on my hubby. No, that would be the last thing I would do to him since he was cheated on in a past relationship. I use it only as an example of how society now thinks any and all sexual feelings must be acted on or something is missing for them.
Oh what ignorant and small world you live in. I really had a chuckle at this comment you made I really do not care what people do in their bedroom but the gays want us all to know what they do by insisting on marriage. How are the gays insisting on what they do in the bedroom by wanting to get married? I thought marriage was about love and commitment? Does marriage for a straight person also mean they all want everyone to know what they do? This one I actually has a full out laugh If a gay person wants to go for treatment Treatment? For what? You make it sound like its an illness.

I simply do not get it. Why in today's day are there still so many people opposed to the gay lifestyle? They get up each morning and go to work like everyone else, they love and hate like everyone else, they eat, sleep and **** like everyone else. Yet they are being called "Those gays" The only differeance is what they do behind closed doors and it is closed doors so who cares what they are doing? I mean do you honestly want to here what straight people are doing behind closed doors? cause I'll tell ya a whole lot of us are kinkier than kinky it's self.

People need to grow the F*ck up and realize what others do behind closed doors is nobodies business. Being gay is not an illness, it is not catchy, straight people will not be hit on by a gay person.

Sorry, but I am a straight person who is totally for gay rights. Not only is my daughter gay but I have a best friend who is. And if anyone even thinks to tell me to keep my daughter away from my friend I will blast you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Belinda, I too am perplexed as to the scrutiny of a lifestyle that these opposers say they want nothing to do with. Well..then...why so many threads & posts about it? If you're really that opposed & cringe hearing about it, why do you keep bringing it up? As far as the whole "pushing it down our throats", well that's just something they come up w/because the fact that homosexuals actually DO live & breathe amongst us is something they can't handle. And really, what is the pushing going on here? What, because rightfully they are OWED the ability to get married & receive everything else that goes along w/that? Oh, how scary & disgusting! Like others like to mention, marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution. If that is true, well then why is heterosexual marriage a given & homosexual marriage NOT a given?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Belinda, I too am perplexed as to the scrutiny of a lifestyle that these opposers say they want nothing to do with. Well..then...why so many threads & posts about it? If you're really that opposed & cringe hearing about it, why do you keep bringing it up? As far as the whole "pushing it down our throats", well that's just something they come up w/because the fact that homosexuals actually DO live & breathe amongst us is something they can't handle. And really, what is the pushing going on here? What, because rightfully they are OWED the ability to get married & receive everything else that goes along w/that? Oh, how scary & disgusting! Like others like to mention, marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution. If that is true, well then why is heterosexual marriage a given & homosexual marriage NOT a given?
I agree with you 100% but unfortunately there will always be people with small minds who are unable to grasp that life is more that just your sexual preference

Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 PM

749 posts, read 947,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
why is heterosexual marriage a given & homosexual marriage NOT a given?
Duh, get a clue, because that's the way it's supposed to be.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Oh what ignorant and small world you live in. I really had a chuckle at this comment you made I really do not care what people do in their bedroom but the gays want us all to know what they do by insisting on marriage. How are the gays insisting on what they do in the bedroom by wanting to get married? I thought marriage was about love and commitment? Does marriage for a straight person also mean they all want everyone to know what they do? This one I actually has a full out laugh If a gay person wants to go for treatment Treatment? For what? You make it sound like its an illness.
I have to chuckle too sometimes. Their ignorance is laughable on many levels, isn't it?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Default Who is maive? This is happening in the gay world and you do not know it???

Gay-Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance Of Gays Back 50 Year Meant to say Naive. Maybe you need to open your eyes.

April 25, 2001 | WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA–The mainstream acceptance of gays and lesbians, a hard-won civil-rights victory gained through decades of struggle against prejudice and discrimination, was set back at least 50 years Saturday in the wake of the annual Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade.

Enlarge Image http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Gay-Pride-Parade.article.jpg (broken link) Participants in Saturday's Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, which helped change straight people's tolerant attitudes toward gays.

"I'd always thought gays were regular people, just like you and me, and that the stereotype of homosexuals as hedonistic, sex-crazed deviants was just a destructive myth," said mother of four Hannah Jarrett, 41, mortified at the sight of 17 tanned and oiled boys cavorting in jock straps to a throbbing techno beat on a float shaped like an enormous phallus. "Boy, oh, boy, was I wrong."
The parade, organized by the Los Angeles Gay And Lesbian And Bisexual And Transvestite And Transgender Alliance (LAGALABATATA), was intended to "promote acceptance, tolerance, and equality for the city's gay community." Just the opposite, however, was accomplished, as the event confirmed the worst fears of thousands of non-gay spectators, cementing in their minds a debauched and distorted image of gay life straight out of the most virulent right-wing hate literature.
Among the parade sights and sounds that did inestimable harm to the gay-rights cause: a group of obese women in leather biker outfits passing out clitoris-shaped lollipops to horrified onlookers; a man in military uniform leading a submissive masochist, clad in diapers and a baby bonnet, around on a dog leash; several Hispanic dancers in rainbow wigs and miniskirts performing "humping" motions on a mannequin dressed as the Pope; and a dozen gyrating drag queens in see-through dresses holding penis-shaped beer bottles that appeared to spurt ejaculation-like foam when shaken and poured onto passersby.
Timothy Orosco, 51, a local Walgreens manager whose store is on the parade route, changed his attitude toward gays as a result of the event.
"They kept chanting things like, 'We're here, we're *****, get used to it!' and 'Hey, hey, we're gay, we're not going to go away!'" Orosco said. "All I can say is, I was used to it, but now, although I'd never felt this way before, I wish they would go away."

Enlarge Image http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news873.article.jpg (broken link) Members of the Laguna Beach Leatherdaddy Association make their final pre-march preparations.

Allison Weber, 43, an El Segundo marketing consultant, also had her perceptions and assumptions about gays challenged by the parade.
"My understanding was that gay people are just like everybody else–decent, hard-working people who care about their communities and have loving, committed relationships," Weber said. "But, after this terrifying spectacle, I don't want them teaching my kids or living in my neighborhood."
The parade's influence extended beyond L.A.'s borders, altering the attitudes of straight people across America. Footage of the event was featured on telecasts of The 700 Club as "proof of the sin-steeped world of homosexuality." A photo spread in Monday's USA Today chronicled many of the event's vulgar displays–understood by gays to be tongue-in-cheek "high camp"–which horrified previously tolerant people from coast to coast.
Dr. Henry Thorne, a New York University history professor who has written several books about the gay-rights movement, explained the misunderstanding.
"After centuries of oppression as an 'invisible' segment of society, gays, emboldened by the 1969 Stonewall uprising, took to the streets in the early '70s with an 'in-your-face' attitude. Confronting the worst prejudices of a world that didn't accept them, they fought back against these prejudices with exaggeration and parody, reclaiming their enemies' worst stereotypes about them and turning them into symbols of gay pride," Thorne said. "Thirty years later, gays have won far greater acceptance in the world at large, but they keep doing this stuff anyway."
"Mostly, I think, because it's really fun," Thorne added.
The Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, Thorne noted, is part of a decades-old gay-rights tradition. But, for mainstream heterosexuals unfamiliar with irony and the reclamation of stereotypes for the purpose of exploding them, the parade resembled an invasion of grotesque outer-space mutants, bent on the destruction of the human race.
"I have a cousin who's a gay, and he seemed like a decent enough guy to me," said Iowa City, IA, resident Russ Linder, in Los Angeles for a weekend sales seminar. "Now, thanks to this parade, I realize what a freak he's been all along. Gays are all sick, immoral perverts."
Parade organizers vowed to make changes in the wake of the negative reaction among heterosexuals.
"I knew it. I said we needed 100 dancers on the 'Show Us Your Ass' float, but everybody insisted that 50 would be enough," said Lady Labia, spokesperson for LAGALABATATA. "Next year, we're really going to give those breeders something to look at."
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28491

Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
Not the way to sway middle america.

I am (hesitantly) pro gay marraige.

The Onion is beautiful.

Last edited by Georgiafrog; 04-24-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Default And how is this for acceptance and tolerance---you will do it or else from the gay community.

San Diego Firefighters File Complaint for Being Forced to Attend Gay Pride Parade

Tuesday, August 07, 2007
By Melissa Drosjack
  • Share:
In 28 years of responding to fires and saving lives, Fire Capt. John Ghiotto of the San Diego Fire Department never thought his job would require him to attend a Gay Pride parade.
"I've dealt with finding bodies in burning buildings, traffic accidents with kids, but I've never been so stressed out before until this incident," Ghiotto told FOXNews.com in an exclusive interview.
Ghiotto and three other firefighters filed a sexual harassment complaint against the city's fire department last week after being forced to attend the parade in uniform despite objections they made to superiors.
“I don’t want anybody else to go through this. This is a whole different ball game. I think our officials up above need to look at this,” Ghiotto said.
The firefighters claim parade attendees made obscene gestures, uttered inappropriate remarks and displayed lewd behavior that made them uncomfortable. They also demanded a work environment without discrimination and harassment.
Click here to read the complaint. Warning: contains graphic language.

The four men allege they were ordered by a battalion chief to attend last month's parade and feared consequences for failure to do so, since refusing to follow a direct order constitutes disciplinary action.
If the men refused to follow the direct order, they could have been suspended on the spot and stripped of any chance for a promotion, according to their manual, Ghiotto said. It was Ghiotto's first direct order.
Ghiotto, engineer Jason Hewitt and firefighters Chad Allison and Alex Kane filed the complaint, which includes detailed descriptions of their allegations. Their fire station is along the parade route.
“You could not even look at the crowd without getting some type of sexual gesture,” Ghiotto said in the complaint. “The experience left me feeling humiliated, embarrassed and offended by this event.”
San Diego fire chief Tracy Jarman, an open lesbian, said she apologized to the men, according to a statement. Jarman said any kind of sexual harassment is "unacceptable, and is never tolerated" in the department.
"I am deeply concerned and troubled by the allegations that have been made. I take them seriously," Jarman said in a statement.
Jarman said she will order the city’s Equal Employment Investigative Office to review the complaint.
The complaint is the first filed against her department regarding participation in a parade or festival, Jarman said.
Sterling Stires, a senior associate with the Thomas More Law Center, said there was a previous complaint issued by a captain in a different station about being forced to participate in the parade.
One of the four firefighters defended his decision to file the complaint, saying it is a sexual harassment issue.
“This EEO complaint isn’t about homosexuality or gay pride. This has to do with people in the workplace being threatened, sexually harassed, and forced to participate in a parade that isn’t like other parades and the behavior that is demonstrated by the public and some of its participants are what are found to be offensive,” according Hewitt’s statement in the complaint.
Hewitt described what he saw at the parade.
“While I was sitting there waiting for the parade to start, I felt that I was forced against my will to be at the Gay Pride Parade and forced to see men in tight shorts dancing provocatively and other men kissing and hugging wearing sexually suggestive material on T-shirts with writing 'Girth and Mirth,' 'Suit Up Before You Dive In,' according to the complaint.
“I was forced into a situation that would compromise what I hold true and what I believe in, my reputation, my character, my integrity, my morals, and my religion," the complaint says.
The firefighters’ lawyer sent a letter to the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing last week, seeking approval to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
“The damage has already been done,” said Brian Rooney, a spokesman and attorney for the Thomas More Law Center, which is representing the firefighters. “By participating in this parade wearing the uniform, the perception is clear that they support this type of parade and that is not what they want to convey to their community, their wives and children and their churches."
The firefighters want a change in policy so other colleagues won’t face the same situation.
Fellow firefighters have commended them for filing the complaint, said Charles LiMandri, the West Coast director of the Thomas More Law Center, a not-for-profit public interest law center, and a San Diego-area attorney.
"They realize that they could be the ones to have to do this. They commended them for their courageous stance," LiMandri said.

FOXNews.com - San Diego Firefighters File Complaint for Being Forced to Attend Gay Pride Parade - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Default For some reason people just cannot be tolerant of this kind of thing---wonder why?

Concern over scrub clearance work

The council wants to encourage more wildlife and visitors to the Downs

Scrub clearance work on Bristol Downs has raised concerns among some gay men who use the area for sex, the city council has said.
The authority's lesbian, gay and bisexual advisory group said the action was "potentially discriminating".
Work on the Circular Road above Avon Gorge would open up the area to wildlife and visitors, the council said.
The Terrence Higgins Trust said it was in talks with the police and council.
Plans to clear the overgrown landscape follow consultations three years ago, when some Downs users complained about "inappropriate sexual activity".
Equality policies
A meeting of the Bristol Downs Committee on Monday was told: "Concerns were expressed by the city council's lesbian, gay and bisexual group that this action was potentially discriminating against gay and bisexual men whose activities on this part of the Downs were objected to by other members of the local community and Downs users."
Head of parks Peter Wilkinson said the council had strong equality policies to protect the interests of all groups, irrespective of their sexuality.
"The general public are unhappy about people taking part in lewd behaviour in public spaces, whether it's between men and women or people of the same sex," he said. "We are working together with the Terrence Higgins Trust to make sure any work we will do is sensitive. "We're making sure people know what we are doing so we are not seen to be discriminating."

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Bristol/Somerset | Concern over scrub clearance work

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
The Onion is beautiful.
I agree, but I think janelle believes it's a real news story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies