Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times

Advertisements

Will they make the kids sing that annoying "Obama's gonna change it" song all the time at these youth camps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Why does the federal government need to be in this business anyway? This is just another way for them to **** away our tax dollars. Millions of us in this country already participate in volunteer postions everyday without federal intervention. Why should we be wasting more tax dollars on this garbage. If you take time to read the bill it authorizes the hiring of a CEO to oversea volunteer activities.

Why should someone get paid to do that? Seems kind of moronic. Why don't they have a volunteer be the CEO? Doesn't really seem like a volunteer organization if some people are getting paid big bucks to do it. If they are gonna get paid then they might as well do the work to.

How about the village idiot, Obama. Why didn't he just volunteer to be president for free? Seems like if wants people to volunteer he should set the example. This is nothing more than a power grab. A way to control people. This whole thing is going to implode on itself.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM

27 posts, read 26,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Crap believed by gullible fools.

They're a dime a dozen, sadly. Republican Party is made up of a majority of these types of people.
Burn the Churches! we have AmeriCorps! maybe they could collect used underwear and weave them into nice and comfortable blankets for the homeless! The list of meaningful good works is endless!! Thank you AmeriCorps!! Thank you for your service!! Oh, be still my heart!!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM

I know, the fine youngsters at AmeriCorps could collect beer cans from a conservative clan meeting, pound them into armor and protect themselves and their little families from Tea Baggers!! and be saving the planet too!! I am starting to see the promise, the hope!! It's very emotional.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey boy View Post
I know, the fine youngsters at AmeriCorps could collect beer cans from a conservative clan meeting, pound them into armor and protect themselves and their little families from Tea Baggers!! and be saving the planet too!! I am starting to see the promise, the hope!! It's very emotional.
I'm happy for you, I really am. And I'm here for you if you need me.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nor is this the first time a Democrat President demanded "mandatory volunteerism." AmeriCorps became the joke of the Clinton adminstration. Here are some of the earth-shattering achievements accomlished by AmeriCorps:

National Civilian Community Corps = Obama's Brown Shirts
National Senior Service Corps = Obama's Geriatric Militia
Oh, is AmeriCorps mandatory? I dont think Americorps is aware of that. Mandatory for whom?

Quote:
AmeriCorps members helped run a program in Buffalo that gave children $5 for each toy gun they brought in, as well as a certificate praising their decision not to play with these trinkets.
If true, I think that's a good idea.
Quote:
In San Diego, AmeriCorps members busied themselves collecting used bras and panties for a homeless shelter.
"Busied themselves" Consignment shops and the Salvation Army sell used bras and panties!
Quote:
In Los Angeles, they foisted unreliable ultra-low-flush toilets on poor people.
"foisted" Is it the ultra-low-flush part the author doesnt like?
Quote:
In San Francisco, AmeriCorps members busy themselves mediating elementary school playground disputes.
Horrible...
Quote:
In Florida, AmeriCorps recruits in the Women in Distress program organized a poetry reading on the evils of domestic violence.
Outrageous....
Quote:
In Oswego, New York, they set up a donation bin to gather used cellphones for victims of domestic violence.
Stop the madness....
Quote:
In Montana, members encouraged people to donate books to ship to Cameroon.
OH NOES!!!!
Quote:
In Lafayette, Louisiana, with help from the local Junior League, AmeriCorps led an effort to recycle prom dresses for high-school students.
Resolved: Every girl coming to our school's prom must buy a brand new prom dress and show proof of purchase at door, or stay home.

What a hate-filled thing that is! Why would anyone seek out stuff like that let alone approvingly quote it?

Oddly, stuck in the middle of the IBD thing is this: "AmeriCorps members are leading a donation drive for items to ship to the Pennsylvania National Guard in Iraq."

This is going too far! AMERICORPS MUST BE STOPPED!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Oh, I know. I have done my research, unlike you.
Then you should be able to easily explain how this is facist.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Actually, the House passed H.R. 1388 on March 18, 2009, 321-105 (Roll Call Vote 140), and it passed the Senate March 26, 2009, 79-19 (Roll Call Vote 115), and became Public Law 111-013 yesterday (April 21, 2009).

Nor is this the first time a Democrat President demanded "mandatory volunteerism." AmeriCorps became the joke of the Clinton adminstration. Here are some of the earth-shattering achievements accomlished by AmeriCorps:

National Civilian Community Corps = Obama's Brown Shirts
National Senior Service Corps = Obama's Geriatric Militia
Ok. Show me where it is mandatory.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm happy for you, I really am. And I'm here for you if you need me.
Seriously Danny, it doesn't creep you out at all? are you really comfortable having government teaching your children in government schools, enlisting them into government organizations to do good? It doesn't bother you, all the government attention to your children's upbringing? Not just a little?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Have the non-voting Yoots been notified?

YouTube - My Cousin Vinny - The two youths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies