Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is influenced more by religious beliefs?
Republicans 39 67.24%
Democrats 4 6.90%
Both the Same 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yes.

Liberalelitism is a religion if ever there was one.

Folks who follow the lemming leaders over the cliff regularly suspend judgement and listen to the messiahs.
The Goreacle comes to mind along with his "no need for debate" global warming scam. Haven't been to the airport in some time, but I expect his followers are there handing out pamphlets and harassing travelers for donations. How about Rev Wright, Sharpton, Jackson, etc?

Democratic convention chief wants reparations for blacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Obviously the Republicans. One reason is because they otherwise have absolutely NO agenda and their ideology just plain stinks.

They must rely on biblical beliefs to give the impression that they are somehow legitimate and have a purpose.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
...and republicans don't push RIGHT TO LIFE which they say comes from the bible but then they push gun control rights and the death penalty. So which is it? Should ALL life be valued or only the good ones? I personally believe that some people should be put to death but also believe abortion shouldn't be taken likely but I do believe in a woman's right to choose. So the ultra religious AKA republicans need to decide---do you follow the bible or not? You can't pick and choose. That's why i'm agnostic. With all the hate,murder and suffering; I personally have my doubts! Face it republicans DEFINITELY bring religion into politics more but at the same time are very hypocritical about it.
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Crazy right wingers...

Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think the Democratic Party is much more closely aligned with the values of the Judeo-Christian tradition; particularly the teachings of Jesus. Its' attempt to address the needs "of the least of these" e.g. the poor, the sick, the elderly, the stranger; its' empahsis on equality "God is no respector of persons"; its strong commitment to justice; its faith and effort to....progressively building the kingdom of God.

Yes I thnk the Democratic party draws its inspiration from religious values and beliefs....

I believe the Republican party is beholden to and intimidated by religious leaders associated with fundementalist christianity...(its base) ...much the way Iran is beholden and intimidated by the islamic fundementalists. It doesnt up hold religious values it promotes its materialistic callous intolerant worldview.
I understand the point you are attempting to make but where in the Bible does it say for government to take money from tax payers and give to the poor? The Bible calls US (the people) to give to the poor, not vote on legislation where money is taken from one group and given to another. That is forced giving. Also, if the democrats were really adhering to the mandate of giving to the poor, then why is a significant chunk of the money being used to pay for the lavish salaries, benefits and pensions of governmental workers? I used to work for the government so don't tell me that governmental workers don't enjoy a higher standard of living compared to the working class that the democrats claim to serve. I believe that many democrat voters are true Christians but our democratic leaders are not. BTW: Many republican leaders are not Christian either and need to quit playing lip service to us conservative Christians.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Obviously the Republicans. One reason is because they otherwise have absolutely NO agenda and their ideology just plain stinks.

They must rely on biblical beliefs to give the impression that they are somehow legitimate and have a purpose.
As opposed to feverishly hand waving the new genocide with a prettier name, abortion? It's not anything more than humans thinking they should have control over life, genetics and appearance. In Hitler's days it was called genocide or Nazism, blond hair blue eyed all that, you know. That's not far off from disability inflicted, not tall enough or can't afford it. Whatever the reasoning behind it is. It's still choosing who lives and dies unnaturally. It's had many other names throughout history.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 05-03-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I personally believe Republican views are influenced way too much by the church especially when there is supposed to be a separation of church and state.
You believe that the Republican party is influenced too much by organized religion because you don't like what those organizations support. The Democratic party is also supported by organized religion but this doesn't stir you because they are vacant liberal apostate churches that don't speak out against the latest political hot button issues of abortion and gay marriage. The Rev Wright never gave a sermon on homosexuality of which I'm aware. Rev Jessie Jackson ever come down on adultery and hypocrisy? Rev Sharpton ever express his concern for the pre-born?

Sure did grill Huckabee and Romney during the primaries though. Double standard anyone?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:49 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I understand the point you are attempting to make but where in the Bible does it say for government to take money from tax payers and give to the poor? The Bible calls US (the people) to give to the poor, not vote on legislation where money is taken from one group and given to another. That is forced giving. Also, if the democrats were really adhering to the mandate of giving to the poor, then why is a significant chunk of the money being used to pay for the lavish salaries, benefits and pensions of governmental workers? I used to work for the government so don't tell me that governmental workers don't enjoy a higher standard of living compared to the working class that the democrats claim to serve. I believe that many democrat voters are true Christians but our democratic leaders are not. BTW: Many republican leaders are not Christian either and need to quit playing lip service to us conservative Christians.
I believed the opening post asked which party....not which party members....I answered it within that context. In going back it really isnt specific, and it may be asking about individual party members. I still would answer that Democrats are more closely aligned with religious teachings and values than Republicans are...especially what I have seen of those who call themselves (to the exclusion of everyone else) Christians.

I think it wonderful for individuals to give alms.....but that doesn't mean the government shouldnt ensure the welbeing of the elderly, sick, vulnerable.....it doesnt mean that government can go along with a trickle down economic view that if you give the top one % tax cuts that somehow someday somehow that will benefit the homeless.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
You're agnostic but telling Christians what the Bible says?

Your post is alos a bit difficult to read. Are you saying the Bible doesn't advocate the government killing people for certain crimes?
I was born jewish and have read all the books of most major religions and the problem I find especially in the new testament is how absolute everything is,not counting statements about the almighty.I do think judaism makes more sense but then came the new testament and they pretty much updated the old testament to their liking and point of view changed as well.When I was about 10 I started to read the torah and in my early 20's while in the air force I read the new testament and koran. Because of my perspective of waiting for proof and not thinking that a higher power is the answer for all,that's what makes me agnostic. People get sick by chance or because of germs or weak immune systems and not because they offended a supreme being.There is also a difference between having agnostic beliefs,and not knowing christianity.I read up on it,and in plane english consider most of it ridiculous; that's why I think it's influence is insane. Homeosexuality is condemned but the fact that SO MANY preachers got caught with MALE kids,isn't that the ultimate disrespect? The individuals who are supposed to be the spokes people for him are the ones doing the ultimate injustice. Liberal beliefs are based more on evolution and possibilities then absolutes and that's why I prefer the democrats.TRUST ME, I do not believe that the democrats are perfect but just the lesser of the evils.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
See red text.
I hate to admit it but it's true.The ultimate oxymoron besides JUMBO SHRIMP is HONEST POLITICIAN. The words don't go together and you just have to support the more honest of the 2 or 3 candidates.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You believe that the Republican party is influenced too much by organized religion because you don't like what those organizations support. The Democratic party is also supported by organized religion but this doesn't stir you because they are vacant liberal apostate churches that don't speak out against the latest political hot button issues of abortion and gay marriage. The Rev Wright never gave a sermon on homosexuality of which I'm aware. Rev Jessie Jackson ever come down on adultery and hypocrisy? Rev Sharpton ever express his concern for the pre-born?

Sure did grill Huckabee and Romney during the primaries though. Double standard anyone?
If you want to be technical both Jessie Jackson and Sharpton at one time or another expressed anti-semetic views but the fact that the party doesn't FOLLOW it makes it a better party.The fact that a religious view can be cut down by level headed people makes it better. As for Sharpton, he's an ambulance chaser for the black community.He's always waiting for an injustice to his people and in the past he has been blasted for his grandstanding.Remember Tawana Brawley? That wound up being a lie but he supported her because of her color.He's the type of individual who is holding back the black community because he'll always push affirmative action and reparations when many other groups were treated just as bad. The intelligent black community cast him out because they want to do it on their own merit,and that I truly respect! When Obama was kissing butt in Europe it was because George W was afraid to admit he was wrong with Iraq,his handling of 9/11,slow at going after the real culprits of 9/11, wire taps.The fact that Obama is extending an apology really makes us look like something that we haven't in along time HUMANS! Georgie boy ruled like a tyrant and the world hated us and now Obama is trying to restore our image.Liberals------Conservatives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies