Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,282,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Until you wake up next year and learn that you are the "rich" Obama wants to tax.
Nope, sorry. We're not rich, but we make a very comfortable living. I have no problem paying taxes. Example: My town recently voted to increase the school tax. People without children were whining about having to pay more. I have no children of my own, but the children of my generally well-off community are "my children," and if the schools need more money, I have no problem giving it to them. I also supported exemption from the additional tax for senior citizens, and others, on a limited income. They're members of my community and if they need a little financial protection, they can count on me to try to make it happen. This meant that the additional tax had to be a bit higher for the rest of us who could afford it. So be it.

Perhaps you should reread John Winthrop's "A Modell of Christian Charity," the sermon he gave on the Arabella (or immediately before departure for the New World--scholars debate exactly when he gave the sermon) in 1630. The sermon in which he explicitly delineates what the community's responsibilities--fiscal and otherwise--are to each other: that they must see themselves as interdependent, and must treat each other--and especially the poor--with "Christian charity"--so that we would be as a "city upon a hill," a beacon of compassion for the world. I'm not a Christian, but the lesson has not been lost on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Perhaps you should reread John Winthrop's "A Modell of Christian Charity," the sermon he gave on the Arabella (or immediately before departure for the New World--scholars debate exactly when he gave the sermon) in 1630. The sermon in which he explicitly delineates what the community's responsibilities--fiscal and otherwise--are to each other: that they must see themselves as interdependent, and must treat each other--and especially the poor--with "Christian charity"--so that we would be as a "city upon a hill," a beacon of compassion for the world. I'm not a Christian, but the lesson has not been lost on me.
Yes indeed , the christian church does a tremendous amount to help those in the community, and I like many others give much to our church and it is money well spent. Please dont confuse that with confiscatory taxation that lines the pockets of government bueracrats and politicians, so they can dole it out in exchange for votes!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,282,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yes indeed , the christian church does a tremendous amount to help those in the community, and I like many others give much to our church and it is money well spent. Please dont confuse that with confiscatory taxation that lines the pockets of government bueracrats and politicians, so they can dole it out in exchange for votes!
But none of you were complaining about subsidies for oil companies and agribusiness (called "perverse subsidies" in economics-speak). Taxes to be raised on the rich--to the tune of 3% over $250,000--and suddenly the sky is falling?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Were you quite as bothered to see a portion of the money you worked hard to earn go towards subsidies for the oil companies? The war in Iraq? Subsidies for agribusiness? Tax cuts for the rich?
I'm upset about my tax dollars funding anything that's outside of what our government has been called to do. I hate war but I felt it was necessary to go to war (as many democratic politicians who voted for the war). Yes, I'm upset with the cost of this war and wish it could just go away but I don't see Obama pulling out of it anytime soon. By the way, were you upset about the Bosnia/Kosovo conflict during Clinton's term or the fact that we are still in Iraq?

I'm also upset with the government giving our money away to banks, oil companies and the auto companies, etc which our current president supported. I'm upset that the overhead cost of running our social programs are high when most of the money should be funding the actual program and not paying the lavish salaries, benefits and pensions of incompetent government employees. There are tons of ways that our government waste our tax dollars and I'm sick of contributing to this nonsense!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Newsflash: Most Americans work a full-time job. And many of them have to work a second job in order to make ends meet. Why? Because the full-time job doesn't pay them a living wage on which to raise a family. How, exactly, would Wal-Mart suffer from paying its workers a decent salary, with health benefits?
Not every job is worth high wages. Companies are not social service agencies but exist to make money. Jobs such as Walmart sales clerks were never meant to be careers but a place to begin gaining work experience. If someone is not earning enough money, then they need to look for better employment or update their skills. That's what I did when I was disatisfied with my first job out of college and have never looked back.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Stop being childish. I would be perfectly happy to pay MORE--if needed-- if I knew that those who HAVE MORE were paying their fair share. But they're not. Nobody WANTS to pay more taxes, so why would I pay more without being asked to do so? Childish.
You are unwilling to pay more unless coerced to do so but you are so fixated on what others are paying? Sounds like childish class envy to me. Why don't you set the example and send your good ole Uncle Sam some money. Don't be a hypocrit. Share the wealth!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Why would I do that? I'll pay whatever I'm required to pay. It's not rocket science.
Then pay what you are required to pay and quit fixating on what others pay.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Nope, sorry. We're not rich, but we make a very comfortable living. I have no problem paying taxes. Example: My town recently voted to increase the school tax. People without children were whining about having to pay more. I have no children of my own, but the children of my generally well-off community are "my children," and if the schools need more money, I have no problem giving it to them. I also supported exemption from the additional tax for senior citizens, and others, on a limited income. They're members of my community and if they need a little financial protection, they can count on me to try to make it happen. This meant that the additional tax had to be a bit higher for the rest of us who could afford it. So be it.

I would not mind paying for public education if issues such as this were not rampant:

Firing tenured teachers can be a costly and tortuous task - Los Angeles Times

Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Exactly. It isn't charity if it's confiscatory taxation.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
But none of you were complaining about subsidies for oil companies and agribusiness (called "perverse subsidies" in economics-speak). Taxes to be raised on the rich--to the tune of 3% over $250,000--and suddenly the sky is falling?
Oil companies and agribusinesses should not be receiving tax dollars as with banks and auto companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies