Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

You mean we only have 45 more states to go before I can stop hearing about gays wanting to have sex?

Ooh, you want to get married, well that problem is marriage is a religious function, and governments should play no role, so instead of protesting your "wish", to get married, maybe you should be protesting the involvement of marriage with government... You'd get further quicker, and people wouldnt get tired of post after post hearing about gay sex and feel they have the need to change constitutions to mean "man and woman"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM

355 posts, read 447,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, marriage has been defined in many different ways throughout many cultures around the world - from multiple partners to trades for land.

In a free secular society, one religious sect does not get to dictate the rule for all others.
But in America, a Christian nation, we adhere to the Christian principles of marriage being the legal union between one man and one woman only. America is not a secular society when more than three-quarters of the population believes in and-or worships God.

There is no dictatorship, only majority rule.

Other nations and sub-cultures may be free to define marriage any absurd way they so choose; but the tradtional institution of marriage in the sense of a man and a woman joining in a union is the only proven method that is effective and healthy.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
People are ok denying other people their rights but when it comes to their rights, they would scream their heads off!
Where exactly do you think this RIGHT comes from? I failed to read that in the Constitution, which dictates rights..

240 posts, read 352,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
But in America, a Christian nation, we adhere to the Christian principles of marriage being the legal union between one man and one woman only. America is not a secular society when more than three-quarters of the population believes in and-or worships God.

Other nations and sub-cultures may be free to define marriage any absurd way they so choose; but the tradtional institution of marriage in the sense of a man and a woman joining in a union is the only proven method that is effective and healthy.
First of all america is not a christian nation, k thanks. Secondly, majority opinion is irrelevant, america is NOT a democracy. God, learn how your country operates.

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:

You have been listening to Focus on The Family WAAAAAY too much.
I feel that even if I pointed out evidence to the contrary...you'll still believe these incorrect views.
Oh well.

I'm glad to see more of America is waking up.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
Quote:

Umm...

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law." - Thomas Jefferson

You've been duped if you believe we live in a Christian nation.
The founding fathers fought very hard to keep the religious extremists at bay when they were forming our government. It was founded specifically to liberate us from any state religion, a model that had crushed Europe and spurred the demand for a new nation free of religious control.

As such, we most certainly live in a secular nation and the beliefs of one religious group, while having a right to free expression, cannot impinge upon the rights of other groups. In this case, marriage equality is the only reasonable solution for a free society.

The simple fact that people from Christian countries were the second to immigrate here or make up a majority today is irrelevant to the founding mission of our nation.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Majority does not rule when it comes to civil rights. Sorry. Study some law and politics before you make statements like that.

If that were so then slavery and a ton of other prejudicial and damaging backward laws would still be in place today (some still are though).

Quote:

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The majority of americans seem to favor legal protections for same-sex couples. They just grapple with the name...civil unions or marriage.

I think civil unions are just a separate but equal thing.

Churches will not be required to perform same-sex unions, just like they aren't required to perform opposite sex unions now.

In the states that legalized marriage equality through the legislature, they added in an amendment that explicitly said churches would not have to perform the unions or recognize them. I think that would pacify a lot of people.
I heard of one story in ME where a legislature voted for the bill after his constituents said they were happy with the amendment that wouldn't require churches to perform the unions.

I think the whole myth about churches being required to perform the union is just a way to scare people into voting against marriage equality.
I'm not sure I understand the reference to this "myth"?

I was married in a civil ceremony by a legal notary...no religious doctrine applied for. None desired. My certificate still reads as a Marriage License, not that I would care if it was reclassified as a civil union or anything else, as long as it was binding. They (Palm Beach County) didn't issue a different document because I was married outside the Church. When it comes down to it, I don't think it matters at all what the Church might opine but whether or not the partnership is recognized in court and accepted for legal transactions.
And personally, I'd suggest no-one be so nit-picky about the terminology...just get the allowance IN and work from there.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I've come to the conclusion that there are only 2 justifiable reasons a state may have for banning same-sex marriage.

1) the state wanting to promote procreation

2) the state not wanting two parents of the same sex to be raising children

My experience with single parents still leads me to question whether a state should be promoting any type of parenting other than a mother and a father raising kids, though I think that could be addressed with a ban on adoption and not a ban on marriage/civil unions between two adults who love each other. I'd also be willing to reconsider my view on gay adoption if and when it was proven they are better at parenting than single parents are.
If the state wanted to promote procreation, it would only allow those who can produce children to get married...which would in some sense requires couples to have sex before marriage in order to prove they can bring about children.

The state would also have to ban heterosexual couples who don't want children, infertile couples, and elderly couples as well from marriage.

Many reputable studies have come out and said that same-sex couples raise children just as well as heterosexual couples.
The problem with single parents is not the makeup of the family but more the economic realities of being a single parent.
Are you for taking children away from a parent after one of the parents dies? Are you for taking children away from parents if the parents are divorced (which is likely to happen in this day and age of a 50% divorce rate...)?

Equality Maryland: Arguements Against Gay Parenting - And Why They're Wrong (http://www.equalitymaryland.org/issues/parenting/parenting_arguments.htm - broken link)

Why Courts Are Adopting Gay Parenting - washingtonpost.com

I would suggest looking into studies by the American Psychology Association, American Pediatric Association, etc on studies about same-sex parenting rather than Focus on the Family and other right wing propaganda groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You mean we only have 45 more states to go before I can stop hearing about gays wanting to have sex?

Ooh, you want to get married, well that problem is marriage is a religious function, and governments should play no role, so instead of protesting your "wish", to get married, maybe you should be protesting the involvement of marriage with government... You'd get further quicker, and people wouldnt get tired of post after post hearing about gay sex and feel they have the need to change constitutions to mean "man and woman"..
You're the only person who has brought up gay sex....

Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
America is a form of democracy but with checks and balances
added into the system ensure a more likely justice for all structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
First of all america is not a christian nation, k thanks. Secondly, majority opinion is irrelevant, america is NOT a democracy. God, learn how your country operates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies