Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 01:32 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
It most certainly is a Christian nation.
No, it most certainly is not. If this were actually a Christian nation, you would be able to point to the area of the Constitution that declares it so. But that is nowhere to be found in the Constitution, is it? I could also point up several historical documents in which the founders themselves stated unequivocally that the US is NOT a 'Christian nation' in any way. shape or form. But you'd most likely not even bother to read them because you are convinced that we are a 'Christian nation'. And you certainly don't want to read anything that could prove you wrong, would you?

Quote:
Majority rule has always been the deciding factor. Look at how the voters decided on same-sex marriages in various states. It has been defeated in every instance. The only exception was Arizona in 2006 but that was because of a technicality in the wording of the measure. When the wording was corrected in the 2008 re-vote Arizonans rejected same-sex marriage, just as they easily did in the rest of the states. Even the voters in the left-coast state of California decided that marriage should be between a man and a woman only.
And if there comes a case to the Supreme Court such as the one about mixed race marriage, then, if they follow both the Constitution and the precedent set in that case, (Loving vs Virginia, in which the court declared marriage to be 'a basic right of man') all of those laws you point at with such pride will be struck down, as has every law that ever attempted to abrogate the rights of any minority in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Have you looked for studies on the matter? I mean this in a polite way.

Children are different. Some do better in two parent homes, some thrive in a household where they have only one parent.
I know the times when my mom was a single mother were some of the best years of my life. I loved it being just my mom and I. Both of my parents have always been involved in my life but I know if I was raised by only one of them, life would have still been great.
Yes, children are very different, but in the vast majority of cases (where abuse, neglect, etc. are NOT present), two parents are better than one and almost everything we've seen shows it.

The only question in mind is whether "a male and a female parent" or simply "two parents" is what's better.

I haven't looked for studies on the matter - I will. But the reality is I don't think it's common enough or been around at all for long enough to definitively answer the question.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then, you are going to have to lobby the Congress to pass a Constitutional Amendment, putting the Definition of Marriage in the Constitution because as the law is now, it is TOTALLY up to the States.

Do you understand the requirements to have a Constitutional Amendment added to the Constitution?
I understand that it's totally up to the state. And if it comes down to it, to get gay marriage uniformly legalized throughout the entire country, I will lobby.

And to be honest, it's been awhile since I've brushed up on consitutional amendment processes, so it's a little fuzzy right now.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Good for Maine. Here's the CNN report.

Usually it's California that leads the way forward with progressive issues, but it's cool that some of the original 13 colonies still have their perspective on keeping government out of everyone's bedroom.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I understand that it's totally up to the state. And if it comes down to it, to get gay marriage uniformly legalized throughout the entire country, I will lobby.

And to be honest, it's been awhile since I've brushed up on consitutional amendment processes, so it's a little fuzzy right now.
2/3 vote of the Senate and the House, followed by a 3/4 vote of state legislatures. It would be very difficult to pass.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
2/3 vote of the Senate and the House, followed by a 3/4 vote of state legislatures. It would be very difficult to pass.
That's what I thought. Thank you for clarifying.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
The founding fathers, at least most of them, were of Christian heritage.

So according to you, voters shouldn't be given the right to vote on such issues. I suppose you believe this entire issue should be decided by partisan leftist judges and government bureaucrats rather than registered voters.

Denying the voters that opportunity is not the American way.
Were voters given such leeway as you seem to think they should have, Blacks would never have won their rights; the right to vote, the right to simply live where they choose, the right to not be beaten and or lynched simply because their skin was darker than 'the majority'.

You say 'denying voters the opportunity' to decide what rights another should or should not have is 'not the American way.' I say allowing the voters to make those decisions is not the American way.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I say allowing the voters to make those decisions is not the American way.
Yet, the Constitution and our laws allow for citizens to "petition" the government. And those same laws allow for citizen referendums - to be put before the voters - for their decisions.

Are you advocating taking these rights away from the citizens?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The Constitution grants freedom of religion, not freedom from religion!
What about the concept that freedom OF religion contains within it the principle of freedom FROM religion is so hard for so many to understand? By saying that all are free to worship as they please, it also means that no one religion can force it's precepts on those who don't share that religion. That then becomes freedom FROM religion.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Doubt it - these were RECENT votes. The will of the people has been heard.

AND, something like 15 / 20 more states have similar propositions on their ballots next year
The "will of the people" appears to be changing quickly, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies