Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Yes, actually, I am. America hasn't exactly caught up with the rest of the modern world in terms of accepting homosexuality. I don't believe that we should be voting on whether or not we extend equality to a minority.
I'm sorry but, we believe in letting the people have a voice in how their government is run - and what happens in our country.

You seem happy with, in the case of the Congress, letting 535 people decide what should and should not happen in this country. That the people should not have any say -

I cannot, in any way, agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM

240 posts, read 352,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm sorry but, we believe in letting the people have a voice in how their government is run - and what happens in our country.

You seem happy with, in the case of the Congress, letting 535 people decide what should and should not happen in this country. That the people should not have any say -

20 bucks

Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
When a higher power of government decides the fate of same-sex marrirage for the rest of us, that is forcing everybody to accept a lifestyle that is repugnant and immoral to the majority of people.
First, there is no 'lifestyle' that is exclusive to gays. Secondly, no one is 'forcing' you to do anything; such a decision by the court is merely telling everyone that gays, lesbians and all others are to be treated equally. You don't have to accept anything, but you also should not be allowed to force the gay community (or anyone else) to live by YOUR standards.

Quote:
That is not democracy, nor is it freedom. It is more like dictatorship because it is forcing everybody to accept political correctness whether they agree with it or not.
It's not 'forcing' you to 'accept' anything! Don't like same sex marriage? Fine! Don't marry someone of the same sex! But don't tell those who do want to marry someone of the same sex that they shouldn't be allowed to just because it goes against YOUR beliefs!

Quote:
Regardless of how bigoted you believe the voters have been on this issue it should still be decided by them. Marriage is, after all, regulated by the states. The voters of each state should be granted the right to decide the outcome.
Yes, marriage is 'regulated' by each state. But there comes a time when even those laws will be struck down when it is determined by a court that they violate the US Constitution. Read the Supreme Court's findings in the Loving vs Virginia case for clarification of how that works!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:36 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:

Then we agree to disagree.

Minority's right to equality trumps the right to vote IMO.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
It looks like this nation is following the same footsteps of the Sodom and Gamora. May god help us.
Guess you'll have to pray harder.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If the citizens of a state choose to legally define "marriage" a certain way, that is there right.

I doubt very seriously these Constitutional Amendments, some of which have even gone so far as to prohibit "domestic partnerships", will be "thrown out".
I bet the majority of them will be overturned over the next 10 years.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,450 times
Quote:
Why? Are you afraid of what the Citizens of the State might say?

Sadly, many of my fellow Mainers are guilty of poor judgement once they enter the voting booth. Historically, they fail to fully read/comprehend the ballot questions. They see words like "gay marriage", "gay rights", etc and vote no without truly understanding what they are voting "no" on. They also vote continually for very expensive bonds that the State cannot afford because they don't read the question at all, or fail to read it correctly. I have no explanation for this behavior.

For this reason, I am happy that the State has stepped up to the plate and passed LD1020, and that the governor (not a fan of his at all!) signed it into law.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yet, the Constitution and our laws allow for citizens to "petition" the government. And those same laws allow for citizen referendums - to be put before the voters - for their decisions.

Are you advocating taking these rights away from the citizens?
If the Defense Of Marriage Act is abolished - and Obama has vowed to do this - it won't matter much which states allow same-sex marriage and which ones don't. Same-sex couples will be able to get married in a state that allows it, and then go to a state that doesn't allow it but they'll still be recognized as married, just as any opposite-sex marriage would be.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
it shouldnt because that is how you protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

imagine if we left the desegregation of schools to the people? let them vote on it. did you see the ressitance to integrate schools? some posters are very young and dont remember or realize what it was like.

the people dont always vote for equality...

Quote:
Why? Are you afraid of what the Citizens of the State might say?

Heck, I can even envision a referendum being proffered to repeal the legislation being put on the ballot. That is the right given to the people by the Constitution.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
They might as well outlaw Christianity and shut down churches. Some places have already banned the display of the three wise men, baby Jesus, or even the saying of Merry Christmas. Children cannot openly pray in public school. Any kind of religious symbols or worship are forbidden in many workplaces.

None of that is 'banned' for any church, in the proper place. I don't find in front of City Hall to be the 'proper place'. Never heard of anyone banning (or even wanting to ban) the saying of Merry Christmas. I say it all the time, from Thanksgiving through New Year. Of course, I also say Happy Hannuka and Happy Holidays a lot. And children can pray any time they wish in school, as long as they do not disrupt the class or insist that their classmates pray with them. And, sorry, but even this Christian finds the display of religious symbols in the workplace to be wrong. Of course, the workplace is more or less 'ruled' by the boss and the state has little or no say when it comes to what he or she allows or disallows, as long as the rules don't violate the worker's constitutional rights. The boss wants his/her workers to concentrate on the job at hand, rather than trying to push their beliefs on either the rest of the workers on on clients/customers.

Quote:
But liberal progressive types that claim to be for equal treatment do not seem to have a problem with the above.
I have no problem with the above because I see no unequal treatment of anyone in any of what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies