Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times

Advertisements

Interesting topic, one which I'm SURE will generate plenty of 'heat'. I'll agree that there are hateful, violent extremists in BOTH the Christian and Muslim religions....the only observation I'd add is that in the contemporary Christian world (say, in the last 500 or 600 years), the hateful 'wacko' lunatics are a LOT more an 'extreme' part of Christian society than those in the Muslim world are. Compare the societal outpouring of 'dancing in the streets' support for Muslim terrorist bombers with CHRISTIAN support for the Reverend Fred Phelps and his ugly rants. Compare the upheaval of violence throughout the Muslim world at the "Danish cartoon" debacle with any similar Christian outbursts at those who'd mock Christianity.

Extremists are extremists. The difference is that in Western society, the extremists are universally mocked, chastised, and banished from 'polite society', whereas Muslim extremists have a considerable following, and a widespread admiration, in many segments of the population.

There are still a considerable number of nations in which Islam plays a heavy hand in civil government. A few countries are outright theocracies, where the Koran is pretty close to 'the law of the land'. Such conditions do not exist in the West, and I can't think of any country run on 'Biblical principles', nor such thing as a 'Christian theocracy'. What we call 'Christian nations' are really just secular, liberal societies, inhabited MOSTLY by Christians, most of whom have taken great efforts NOT to let religion...(even their OWN religion)....interfere with civil government.

Compare the Christian term "martyr" with today's extremist Muslim definition of the same term. No two concepts could be more different. One is a person dragged off against his will and ultimately slaughtered by others, for refusing to renounce his faith...while the other is a person willing to blow himself...(AND as many innocent 'bystanders' as he can possibly target)..into eternity in order to 'send a message'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
When have Christians flown planes into buildings? Beheaded civilians? Not let women drive? Not let women vote? Not let women educate themselves? Not let women go in public without a man? Executed women for infidelity? Stoned girls to death for being raped? Dictated type of dress? Hijack ships? Create terrorist training camps?

It's sad that people are so weak-willed when they see something that can be misconstrued as a religious thing and then wail about how they are offended by it. Get over yourselves.
I believe they called that the crusades. Not to mention the old testament. Spanish inquisition and the beat goes on.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I believe they called that the crusades. Not to mention the old testament. Spanish inquisition and the beat goes on.
You're right...they did that. Later on, they quit. It's important to differentiate between bad behavior 800 years ago and bad behavior last week. Timing has a lot to do with it.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're right...they did that. Later on, they quit. It's important to differentiate between bad behavior 800 years ago and bad behavior last week. Timing has a lot to do with it.
Well some would argue torturing is bad behavior.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Did they quit? I think not. Both sides have their minority of radicals. Christains have not flown any planes into towers, yet, but there are still Christian radicals that kill in the name of God and they are not all Muslims. Read the news lately? Extremists should Not be tolerated by the human race, they endanger not only themselves and those around them but the entire world by generating wars that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands or even Millions of lives, it is what they want.
Casper

Old 06-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well some would argue torturing is bad behavior.
I assume you're speaking of the situation @ Abu Ghraib...or Guantanamo. If so, these things aren't being done in the name of Christianity...they're being done in the name of the US Government, an organization that's gone to great lengths to convey the idea that it's NOT a 'Christian' organization; it's a secular one.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Did they quit? I think not. Both sides have their minority of radicals. Christains have not flown any planes into towers, yet, but there are still Christian radicals that kill in the name of God and they are not all Muslims. Read the news lately? Extremists should Not be tolerated by the human race, they endanger not only themselves and those around them but the entire world by generating wars that cost the lives of hundreds of thousands or even Millions of lives, it is what they want.
Casper
As I said, the difference is not in the individual 'wacko' in each case..the difference is in the percentage of these folks in a society, and more importantly, HOW that society treats the 'wackos' in its own midst. In some societies, they're ostracized, disgraced, banished, and imprisoned...in other socities, they attract huge numbers of followers and admirers.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 PM

639 posts, read 1,143,210 times
mac you couldn't be more correct in your assessment. I praise you for your honest portrayal. As to your earlier statement Ghost....I was too busy trying to keep civil order, and the streets safe, people calm etc to take pictures to satisfy your demand of "proof". Let's just agree to disagree...you can live in your world and I'll believe what I saw with my own two eyes. Anyone that was in parts of heavily muslim populated areas of Brooklyn saw what I saw and it was a disgrace. From Carroll Gardens to Bay Ridge they were dancing and cheering. I had friends who saw the same and were sickened. These were not "radical" Christians who saw this behavior, not necessarily Republicans or Democrats, just everyday folks who could not believe what they were observing. I live in the realistic world knowing that holding hands around the campfire singing Kumbiyah will not make a good percentage of Muslims around the world love or even like us in the least........I pray you do not come into contact with these decent Muslims who dismember "Non-Believers" they encounter.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
Quote:

Christians flew planes into buildings during the crusades and during the inquisition???

Old 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
mac you couldn't be more correct in your assessment. I praise you for your honest portrayal. As to your earlier statement Ghost....I was too busy trying to keep civil order, and the streets safe, people calm etc to take pictures to satisfy your demand of "proof". Let's just agree to disagree...I have no problem with that, at least you had a reasonable explaination as to why you have no proof. If you are one of New Yorks Finest that I thank you for the hard work and for the sacrifice many of your brothers made for this nation.
That said, I am still unaware of any such events having taken place in the US, I will do some digging and get back to you if I find anything. you can live in your world and I'll believe what I saw with my own two eyes My world? I live in the real world, assume you do so also. I keep my eyes open at all times, but the thing is, when someone makes a statement that seems either, far-fetched or is not something I have heard before, I ask for proof to back up such claims. Otherwise anyone can claim darn near anything as the truth, oh wait some try (not refering to my current question or you), but on this board people will ask the hard questions and expect answers. If they cannot back up thier claims they lose some of their credibility with the other posters, not good if one is really interested in having others take their posts seriously, that applies to everyone that posts here. Anyone that was in parts of heavily muslim populated areas of Brooklyn saw what I saw and it was a disgrace. From Carroll Gardens to Bay Ridge they were dancing and cheering. I had friends who saw the same and were sickened. These were not "radical" Christians who saw this behavior, not necessarily Republicans or Democrats, just everyday folks who could not believe what they were observing. If I had seen such behavior in the US I seriously doubt I would stand by and let it go unanswered, sickened would have only been the first feeling, rage would have followed.I live in the realistic world knowing that holding hands around the campfire singing Kumbiyah will not make a good percentage of Muslims around the world love or even like us in the leastNot sure where you get the idea that I believe any such thing, first off, the Muslims I know, and have known in the past, are all good people, I have been to their homes and they mine, I talked to many of them after and even during 9-11 and can assure you they were just as shocked and disgusted as every other American I know. Secondly, I am not one to believe that radicals full of hate can be dealt in any other way than lead poisioning. I have no plans to standing around singing anything with any of them, you should not assume everyone that is not a Republican is a pacifist........I pray you do not come into contact with these decent Muslims who dismember "Non-Believers" they encounter.
I don't think that it would be me that would need to pray, I can take care of myself just fine.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies