Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
So go find them and kill them then if that makes you happy. Uh, I believe they're already dead though. You got rewarded. You voted for Obama and the Democrats. Obama set up one of his campaign doners to hand out Obamaphones to you. What more do you want? You've been paid.
That's what I don't understand. I got no free stuff and still pay a hefty income tax. The only lazy ne'er-do-wells I find are white Republicans.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Maybe you should have stayed in school and learned to think. You probably didn't have a Dad at home to make you go to school though. Poor little victim.
Actually I have a Masters degree. Do you really want to compare?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I live in a very beautiful area. Manicured gardens everywhere, not a cigarette butt or trash on the side of the roads. there is one old house in the middle of all this beauty with a giant confederate flag in front of his home. house has at least 2 or 3 cars on cinder blocks, grass completely overgrown, what a dump. I laugh whenever I drive by. this home embodies my opinion of anyone who would fly this flag.

if you live in a trailer looking house with multiple vehicles on cinder blocks ...... you might be a......... well, you know you.
The people who are the most offended by the confederate flag also happen to live in similar eyesores.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
That's what I don't understand. I got no free stuff and still pay a hefty income tax. The only lazy ne'er-do-wells I find are white Republicans.
That's because you're a card-carrying racist. You are bent upon being a life-long victim and will always blame someone else for your troubles. You sound just like Obama.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The people who are the most offended by the confederate flag also happen to live in similar eyesores.
From the posts I've seen, most of these flags are flown in New York and Michigan and other places in the North. I live in Pensacola, FL and I have yet to see one flying anywhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Then what's your complaint? Doesn't appear to me that you should holler victim. A Master's Degree doesn't make one smart. You probably still just draw a pay check working for some company or corporation. You'll probably make a good living but fail short of being wealthy.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I just never hear people talking about the lazy ner-do-well whites. But as you acknowledge there are many more than blacks.
Probably. Just as there are many more white millionaires than there are Black millionaires. Touché!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:

Where did you buy it? Probably on the internet. With your answers here, you do not show a lot of education.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I wouldn't say it offends me, it's just low class, redneck-y.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Frederick Law Olmstead, considered the father of landscape architecture in America, was very interested in the South and their economy prior to the Civil War. He extensively toured the region and wrote three volumes about the South before the Civil War. He felt slavery was bad for the South, and was actually really detrimental to white Southerners.

Frederick Law Olmsted - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Olmsted had a significant career in journalism. In 1850 he traveled to England to visit public gardens, where he was greatly impressed by Joseph Paxton's Birkenhead Park. He subsequently wrote and published Walks and Talks of an American Farmer in England in 1852. This supported his getting additional work.

Interested in the slave economy, he was commissioned by the New York Daily Times (now The New York Times) to embark on an extensive research journey through the American South and Texas from 1852 to 1857. His dispatches to the Times were collected into three volumes (A Journey in the Seaboard Slave States (1856),A Journey Through Texas (1857), A Journey in the Back Country in the Winter of 1853-4 (1860)) which remain vivid first-person social documents of the pre-war South. A one-volume abridgment, Journeys and Explorations in the Cotton Kingdom (1861), was published during the first six months of the American Civil War at the suggestion of Olmsted's English publisher. . To this he wrote a new introduction (on "The Present Crisis") in which he stated explicitly his views on the effect of slavery on the economy and social conditions of the southern states.
My own observation of the real condition of the people of our Slave States, gave me ... an impression that the cotton monopoly in some way did them more harm than good; and although the written narration of what I saw was not intended to set this forth, upon reviewing it for the present publication, I find the impression has become a conviction.
He argued that slavery had made the slave states inefficient (a set amount of work took 4 times as long in Virginia as in the North) and backward both economically and socially. The profits of slavery fell to no more than 8,000 owners of large plantations; a somewhat larger group had about the standard of living of a New York City policeman, but the proportion of the free white men who were as well-off as a Northern working man was small. Slavery meant that 'the proportion of men improving their condition was much less than in any Northern community; and that the natural resources of the land were strangely unused, or were used with poor economy.'
Southern civilization was restricted to the wealthy plantation owners; the poverty of the rest of the Southern white population prevented the development of civil amenities taken for granted in the North, he said.
The citizens of the cotton States, as a whole, are poor. They work little, and that little, badly; they earn little, they sell little; they buy little, and they have little – very little – of the common comforts and consolations of civilized life. Their destitution is not material only; it is intellectual and it is moral... They were neither generous nor hospitable and their talk was not that of evenly courageous men.

When I see that Confederate flag flying, I assume that person is exactly as Frederick Law Olmstead described in the bolded bit above. No morals, not generous or hospitable, just low lifes that don't give a crap about the terrible history associated with that flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies