Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Conservatives only; in favor or against The Patriot Act?
I'm a conservative in favor of The Patriot Act 6 26.09%
I'm a conservative against The Patriot Act 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

This post is in response to afoigkn's (whatever the heck his name is ) poll. Liberals always seem to say that we conservatives support the PA, but I just voted in favor of doing away with it. If you're a conservative are you for it or against it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Against. It is just a greenlight for Government intrusion and power grabbing.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This post is in response to afoigkn's (whatever the heck his name is ) poll. Liberals always seem to say that we conservatives support the PA, but I just voted in favor of doing away with it. If you're a conservative are you for it or against it? Thanks
Moderate conservative here and very much against it, but I'm sure you know that from the other thread.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Sorry, I'm for it.

Whatever keeps this country safe - and it has kept this country from another attack.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Didn't seem to have a problem with it 7 years ago. Where were the protests then?

Change comes slow, it would seem.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Didn't seem to have a problem with it 7 years ago. Where were the protests then?
Many Americans didn't have a problem with it so soon after 9-11. We were all so shocked and blindly supported anything that would provide us with an illusion of "safety."

I've had a problem with it for quite awhile.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Many Americans didn't have a problem with it so soon after 9-11. We were all so shocked and blindly supported anything that would provide us with an illusion of "safety."
The "illusion" of safety?

All the so-called experts expected another attack on the homeland - they were SURE it would happen.

The ONLY reason it hasn't was the intelligence gathering programs put in place by Bush and the republicans, as well as carrying out an offensive, brutal, vicious military campaign against the terrorists.

That's the problem with a lot of Americans - they have short memories and even shorter attention spans.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post

Change comes slow, it would seem.
I guess we're damned if we do, damned if we don't, huh? Are we not allowed to change our minds, or is that only a leftists prerogative?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

All the so-called experts expected another attack on the homeland - they were SURE it would happen.

The ONLY reason it hasn't was the intelligence gathering programs put in place by Bush and the republicans.

That's the problem with a lot of Americans - they have short memories and even shorter attention spans.
Please tell me which provisions of the Act actually helped to prevent attacks. How do you know there would have been another attack if it weren't for the Act?

Maybe some components are appropriate, but the thing is wayyyy too broad and intrusive.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

The ONLY reason it hasn't was the intelligence gathering programs put in place by Bush and the republicans, as well as carrying out an offensive, brutal, vicious military campaign against the terrorists.

I think waterboarding fits more in line with what you wrote, hence my support of that. The PA is unconstitutional, waterboarding is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies