Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times

Advertisements

Hm, what have we here? Some common sense coming down from the WH? Wonders never cease.

Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama declared Wednesday he would try to block the court-ordered release of photos showing U.S. troops abusing prisoners, abruptly reversing his position out of concern the pictures would "further inflame anti-American opinion" and endanger U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The White House had said last month it would not oppose the release of dozens of photos from military investigations of alleged misconduct. But American commanders in the war zones have expressed deep concern about fresh damage the photos might do, especially as the U.S. tries to wind down the Iraq war and step up operations against the Taliban and al-Qaida in Afghanistan.
Gosh, I wonder what is next, the next thing to be recanted or reversed by this administration? Taxes? That would be a great place to begin, for by upping taxes, the private sector either can't afford it, or the private sector will just quit producing, thereby messing everything up. Can't say I'd blame them either.

But that's neither here nor there in this particular scenario, is it?

Obama seeks to block release of abuse photos (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_pentagon_abuse_photos - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Here we have yet another fake Conservative taking the Government's side and their "need for secrecy" arguments.

Who argues for Freedom of Information? Following the Rule of Law??

Not your average wingnut today.....They are all for increasing Government power in the name of security...

Don't tread on me, my asse!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times
I'll give Obama credit when he makes the right decision.

He did the right thing in this case, and I am glad that he made the right decision. Releasing those photos would have done no good except as Obama said, damaging our image the world.

Good job Obama, for a change.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM

519 posts, read 688,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I'll give Obama credit when he makes the right decision.

He did the right thing in this case, and I am glad that he made the right decision. Releasing those photos would have done no good except as Obama said, damaging our image the world.

Good job Obama, for a change.
I agree. The memos had/have possible legal ramifications. The photos, however, would do nothing more than satisfy the insatiable appetite of those with perverse curiosity.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Here we have yet another fake Conservative taking the Government's side and their "need for secrecy" arguments.

Who argues for Freedom of Information? Following the Rule of Law??

Not your average wingnut today.....They are all for increasing Government power in the name of security...

Don't tread on me, my asse!

Well said! President Obama can afford to step back and keep this from becoming a more partisan issue than it already is...it will be investigated and released without his involvement. And may America never stoop so low again.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
With these kind of images (http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2009/05/here-are-few-of-torture-photos-obama.html - broken link) (graphic)... I can see why, but it won't get thru many thick skulls around.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
I agree. The memos had/have legal possible legal ramifications. The photos, however, would do nothing more than satisfy the insatiable appetite of those with perverse curiosity.
No they need to come out so people can see just what you apologists for torture and law breaking are really trying to hide.

Nearly 40 prisoners were killed in US custody. Criminality and incompetence of the highest order. It was sicking what the right wing in the US had done.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

519 posts, read 688,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
With these kind of images (http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2009/05/here-are-few-of-torture-photos-obama.html - broken link) (graphic)... I can see why, but it won't get thru many thick skulls around.
The pictures are troublesome for sure, but it pales in comparison to having your head sawed off with a knife.

Either way, its a good call to not release the photos.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
You're breakin' my heart, padcrasher, you really are. NOT!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No they need to come out so people can see just what you apologists for torture and law breaking are really trying to hide.

Nearly 40 prisoners were killed in US custody. Criminality and incompetence of the highest order. It was sicking what the right wing in the US had done.

This is one of those "Never Again" moments for the U.S.; even the gentleman who testified today had concluded in 2006 that torture is against the U.S. Constitution. Patrick Leahy will investigate with an independent commission, and Lindsey Graham will continue being playing partisan politics. What's odd is which segments of our society support
torture.

Think Progress » Interrogator Ali Soufan: Bush Told ‘Half-Truth’ About Zubaydah’s Interrogation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies