Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Under which circumstances should abortion be legal, if at all?
Legal under any circumstances 47 39.83%
Legal under most circumstances 35 29.66%
Legal only in a few circumstances 27 22.88%
Illegal in all circumstances 9 7.63%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Exactly. I'll call the anti-life people pro-choice once I see some efforts on their part to stress other options along with abortion.

Pro-choice would mean promoting contraceptives before a pregnancy ever occurs and, once a woman is pregnant, promoting adoption along with abortion as a legitimate alternative.

They almost always seem to be adamantly opposed to legislation that requires women to be informed of other options (or "choices") before having an abortion. And they support "choice"?
I consider myself pro choice and if you go back and look at my responses when it comes to unplanned pregnancy, teenage pregnancy, abortion, etc, I tend to mention that I support access to affordable contraception (condoms, IUDS, birth control pills, vasectomies) etc.

A lot of times abortion is not really a choice, it's a last resort for some people. A lot of women do it for economic reasons. They already have 2 or 3 kids at home, can't afford another mouth to feed and sometimes they can't even feed themselves half the time. An abortion makes more sense than holding on to the fetus and trying to support a pregnancy.

A lot of times those on the anti choice side tend to advocate abstinence only education in schools. Why not teach abstinence AND safe sex (condoms, birth control pills, IUDs,etc)?

To me there is no choice when you are taught abstinence and yet if you end up having sex (and you have no access to condoms, birth control, an IUD, etc), you are forced to bring the fetus to term because some anti choice person wants to make abortion illegal. Where is the choice in that?

http://www.prochoice.org/pubs_resear..._abortions.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:43 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I consider myself pro choice and if you go back and look at my responses when it comes to unplanned pregnancy, teenage pregnancy, abortion, etc, I tend to mention that I support access to affordable contraception (condoms, IUDS, birth control pills, vasectomies) etc.

A lot of times abortion is not really a choice, it's a last resort for some people. A lot of women do it for economic reasons. They already have 2 or 3 kids at home, can't afford another mouth to feed and sometimes they can't even feed themselves half the time. An abortion makes more sense than holding on to the fetus and trying to support a pregnancy.

A lot of times those on the anti choice side tend to advocate abstinence only education in schools. Why not teach abstinence AND safe sex (condoms, birth control pills, IUDs,etc)?

To me there is no choice when you are taught abstinence and yet if you end up having sex (and you have no access to condoms, birth control, an IUD, etc), you are forced to bring the fetus to term because some anti choice person wants to make abortion illegal. Where is the choice in that?

http://www.prochoice.org/pubs_resear..._abortions.pdf
I support comprehensive sex ed in schools and making contraceptives more widely available.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I support comprehensive sex ed in schools and making contraceptives more widely available.

Okay, so why did you claim pro choice people do not want to give people access to contraceptives and teach comprehensive sex ed in schools?

As far as giving info to women before an abortion, I am all for educating women but I won't have women fooled into thinking their 6 week old fetus can feel pain and all this other crap.
There have been instances where women were "counseled" before an abortion only to find they were told they would go to hell if they aborted their "baby" or that their fetus was able to breathe at 6 weeks.

I'm sure many women who choose abortion have considered adoption and it's just not something that works with their life.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Okay, so why did you claim pro choice people do not want to give people access to contraceptives and teach comprehensive sex ed in schools?

As far as giving info to women before an abortion, I am all for educating women but I won't have women fooled into thinking their 6 week old fetus can feel pain and all this other crap.
There have been instances where women were "counseled" before an abortion only to find they were told they would go to hell if they aborted their "baby" or that their fetus was able to breathe at 6 weeks.

I'm sure many women who choose abortion have considered adoption and it's just not something that works with their life.
And then there is the case in FL of the woman who had no idea that her fetus of 5-6 months would breathe before it died.

I believe in making informed decisions - and you are absolutely correct that it should not be the place of the government to 'guilt' someone into doing what they don't want to do. Thats what mothers are for And the government should not be our mothers.

That said, with later term abortions if there is a chance at viability the woman should be counseled about the enormity of what she is doing. How to do that without attempting to control her, I don't know. But knowledge is always a good thing. What do you think?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And then there is the case in FL of the woman who had no idea that her fetus of 5-6 months would breathe before it died.

I believe in making informed decisions - and you are absolutely correct that it should not be the place of the government to 'guilt' someone into doing what they don't want to do. Thats what mothers are for And the government should not be our mothers.

That said, with later term abortions if there is a chance at viability the woman should be counseled about the enormity of what she is doing. How to do that without attempting to control her, I don't know. But knowledge is always a good thing. What do you think?
I support abortion in the first trimester.
Anything after that should ONLY be in cases where continuing the pregnancy would end the mother's life or seriously jeopardize her health.

After the first trimester, the woman should start looking for an adoptive family for her child and hope for the best.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Anything after that should ONLY be in cases where continuing the pregnancy would end the mother's life or seriously jeopardize her health.

After the first trimester, the woman should start looking for an adoptive family for her child and hope for the best.
Many posters on here feel abortion should be permitted even in the third trimester regardless of circumstance. Apparently you're a misognyist if you suggest otherwise.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Many posters on here feel abortion should be permitted even in the third trimester regardless of circumstance. Apparently you're a misognyist if you suggest otherwise.
Well I know who I am and I am DEFINITELY not a misogynist. I love women.

I think abortion in the third trimester is way too much. I'd only feel comfortable with that if it were to save the mother's life or her health.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Well I know who I am and I am DEFINITELY not a misogynist. I love women.

I think abortion in the third trimester is way too much. I'd only feel comfortable with that if it were to save the mother's life or her health.
Oh I'm not a mysognist either, but strangers on the Internet feel for some reason that they are qualified to make that determination.

And thanks for being reasonable about later term abortions.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:

I agree, and I think most people agree with that as well.

It's too bad that the extremists on both sides tend to run this debate, isn't it?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Abortion is more than merely a medical procedure. That may be how you see it, but at least half the country disagrees. Both sides have a say in the law whether you like it or not. The "choice" still exists in all 50 states, even where the requirements have been implemented.
Neither side, regardless of its numbers, has any say at all in the matter of Constitutional rights. These are deliberately off-limits to local or any other kinds of majorities. Every woman has the Constitutional right to direct her own reproductive history. This includes the matter of whether and when to reproduce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies