Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,849,935 times

Advertisements

I know right. that response right there should have ended this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Great answer, and a lot like mine, only perhaps more precise. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,484,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I'd rather have that than someone who thinks that they are so smart, that they know better than me both where to spend my money, and live my life.
Huh? Knuckle dragging conservatives try to tell you who to marry, how to pray, to live in "gods country", not have an abortion, to be dumb(winking during debates). Smart people give you the freedom to choose and accept you opinion even when it's not theirs.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I know right. that response right there should have ended this thread.
Problem is that document wasn't "all inclusive".

Old 05-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
again, you are making the absurd assumption that these current republicans are conservatives. the thread was about conservatives. you are speaking of republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Huh? Knuckle dragging conservatives try to tell you who to marry, how to pray, to live in "gods country", not have an abortion, to be dumb(winking during debates). Smart people give you the freedom to choose and accept you opinion even when it's not theirs.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:33 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,343,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Again, you claim something that isn't yours to claim. There was nothing conservative about the Declaration of Independence. Nothing about legislating social morality, nothing about fiscal conservatism, not even a word about the supremacy of the state over Federal powers.

Come on folks there has to be something you can point to that took place over the last 100 years?

How about the Interstate Highway Program... oh yeah, big government program which allows the Federal government to dictate local traffic laws. How about the Environmental Protection Agency... never mind that's silly. Oh wait I know, how about the Earn Income Tax Credit....
Get serious. The Declaration of Independence is probably the the most conservative document ever written, and was an invitation to charges of treason.

If it wasn't "conservative", what was it? It was totally "libertarian" (probably the more correct term), and put the signers at great risk.

What would you call it?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
again, you are making the absurd assumption that these current republicans are conservatives. the thread was about conservatives. you are speaking of republicans.
You're assuming that all past republicans were conservatives. I was addressing your comment as it presented itself today.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:39 PM

I am not assuming that at all. I think the last decent conservative in the white house was coolidge. I already called several past republicans liberals on this thread.

Quote:
You're assuming that all past republicans were conservatives. I was addressing your comment as it presented itself today.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm just curious, what would you consider to be the greatest accomplishments of the conservative movement as the principles of conservatism are enunciated today?

Post'em if you got'em.
Today, well Ron Paul started the Campaign for Liberty after a failed bid for the Presidency. From that, a more traditionally minded brand of conservatism has been rekindled. Other than that, I haven't really seen anything even resembling actual conservatism in a VERY long time.

Lean, efficient and restrained government... nope, haven't see it.

Fiscal responsibility... nope, haven't seen that either.

Liberty, individual freedom and non-interference from government... nope, not that either

Less interventionist and humble foreign policy... nope, nay, nadda, kaputski.

Did I mention Rand Paul will be running for a Senate seat in Kentucky? That's kinda cool and sorta on topic, right?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,640,641 times
Quote:
I am not assuming that at all. I think the last decent conservative in the white house was coolidge.
Some conservatives would say Cleveland....

Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM

157 posts, read 180,778 times
Quote:
Interestingly, I'm conservative & my family and friends are also
1. We're all doctors, pilots, engineers...you know, pretty well educated
2. We don't really care who you marry
3. We live all over the country
4. Our stance on abortion is variable; some pro-life, others pro-choice
5. Many regularly donate their time and skills; others donate their money
6. Some attend church regularly, others attend occasionally, and some not at all

I'm just not understanding the generalizations. It doesn't reflect my reality. Do the generalizations reflect other conservatives' reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies