Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:09 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Neither can a man on his own or a woman on her own. Actually, a man doesn't create life at all, just enables a woman too. For the most part, only one-celled creatures like protists and some bacteria reproduce asexually, not multi-celled organisms.
Correct, therefore a huamn egg on its own is not a human life

Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Correct, therefore a huamn egg on its own is not a human life
But if an egg is not human life because it cannot create life on its own, then wouldn't it also follow that a man is not a human life because he cannot create life on his own?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
But if an egg is not human life because it cannot create life on its own, then wouldn't it also follow that a man is not a human life because he cannot create life on his own?
I know alot of woman who woudl say man is not a human life.

A male is human. You are very confused.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I know alot of woman who woudl say man is not a human life.

A male is human. You are very confused.
No, I'm not confused, a male is a human. I was just following the logic you had used, which I believed to be faulty, and came to a confusing conclusion:

egg/sperm >> can't create life on its own
can't create life on its own >> not human life

man (or individual woman) >> can't create life on his(her) own
can't create life on his(her) own >> not human life

If I'm missing something in your original argument, please feel free to clarify.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times
Abortion should be illegal not because of religious reasons, but because we are talking about human beings. The government should protect the voiceless and that includes an unborn child. I do believe in contraception.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not confused, a male is a human. I was just following the logic you had used, which I believed to be faulty, and came to a confusing conclusion:

egg/sperm >> can't create life on its own
can't create life on its own >> not human life

man (or individual woman) >> can't create life on his(her) own
can't create life on his(her) own >> not human life

If I'm missing something in your original argument, please feel free to clarify.
An egg and a sperm is not by themselves a human. I male is already a human his egg and sperm already met and they created human life when they met.
egg and sperm become human when they meet .
meet.

Male already human
Hope that make things clear for you.
it is beyond my belief you are claiming an unfertilized egg is already a human. You really need to go to basic sex ed course.

Did you also know that a chicken egg unfertilized will not be a chicken?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
it is beyond my belief you are claiming an unfertilized egg is already a human. You really need to go to basic sex ed course.
I wasn't claiming an egg is human, nor do I remember anyone else claiming it. "Human" and "an example of human life" are different terms. "Human" is the person in its entirety whereas "an example of human life" can be a portion of the human organism (skin cells, embryos, fingernails, hair, blood cells, or anything that would carry human DNA). So far, it seems that people can agree that a fertilized egg is an "example of human life", but the debate seems to be over whether it is "a human".

I've taken sex ed courses, several of them, as I'm sure most people on here have. I'm tired of your suggestions for people to essentially go back to 5th grade. If you're trying to call someone an idiot then just do it, don't beat around the bush by being patronizing.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I wasn't claiming an egg is human, nor do I remember anyone else claiming it. "Human" and "an example of human life" are different terms. "Human" is the person in its entirety whereas "an example of human life" can be a portion of the human organism (skin cells, embryos, fingernails, hair, blood cells, or anything that would carry human DNA). So far, it seems that people can agree that a fertilized egg is an "example of human life", but the debate seems to be over whether it is "a human".

I've taken sex ed courses, several of them, as I'm sure most people on here have. I'm tired of your suggestions for people to essentially go back to 5th grade. If you're trying to call someone an idiot then just do it, don't beat around the bush by being patronizing.
Here are you words.

You are the one that had to ask is ma not human since it cannot create life on its own

You were trying to patronize me and that kind of question deserved the kind of asnwer you got.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
The correct terms are:

Pro-Life means you don't support the right to abortion on demand.

Pro-Choice means you support the right to abortion on demand, but don't support federal funding. Ted Stevens and Lisa Murkowski are good examples of pro-choice politicians.

Pro-Abortion means you support the right to abortion on demand and support federal funding for abortions. Most Democrats and some Republicans are pro-abortion. Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy, and Olympia Snowe are good examples.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM

530 posts, read 649,855 times
It seems funny to me that people can't just agree to disagree on this one...lol. Neither party will ever change the others mind! I do want to add that are we not currently engaged in a war where we are killing thousands of innocent humans? Yet we justify this because it's in our best interest. If my daughter came home at 15 pregnant, yes I would make her have an abortion. One moment of stupidity shouldn't force her to suffer the burden of raising an unwanted child. Abstience doesn't work, didn't for me and I bet it didn't for you and it won't for our childern. When you start making exceptions to an absolute then your lines become blurred( except for the health of the mother) what about rape? what about disablity? If in some cases it's just then didn't we just allow that in our own minds to make us feel better? If you make abortion illegal will it stop it? NO! Where there is a will there is a way! I say we all just mind our own business, let the government mind their own business and let me worry about what I do to my body!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies